Book type not recorded as DVD-ROM!

vbimport

OK Tell me this…

I’m using the trial versions of AnyDVD/Clone DVD just downloaded two days ago on Aug 1. I want to make sure they work before paying…

I got my hands on some TDK DVD+R Dual Layer recordables finally to put in my Sony DL writer. I waited a long time for these to show up on some store shelf( They had no idea what I was talking about at the Sony store either!)

Anyway, I recorded the Beach, which is DVD-ROM booktype, direct to DVD , but the copy shows as dvd+r dl when I check it later…Of course, it won’t run on my Panasonic DVD recorder in the living room.

I can’t see anywhere instructions how to make sure the booktype records as DVD-rom… Any one have any answers?

@ CoolbreezeToo,

I believe that you are unaware that all commercially produced DVD movies are in the DVD-ROM format.

To set the book type setting of a DVD+R media your DVD Burner has to have firmware that sets DVD+R media to DVD-ROM.

Suggest visiting the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) and inquire there for firmware for your Sony DL writer that allows BookType setting for DVD+R media. If you are unaware Sony does not manufacture DVD Burners and all Sony DVD Burners are actually manufactured by Lite-On.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I was using DVD Xcopy with the same writer on 4.5 gig discs, which would work in my player just fine, but look like shit on the big screen, so I know it does record the DVD’s using the correct format, I checked the copies I made with the writer and they are of DVD-ROM booktype. So this looks to me like a software thing… Why wouldn’t it automatically record the booktype as DVD-ROM?

@ CoolbreezeToo,

Please visit the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) as suggested in my original posting in this thread and inquire there for firmware for your Sony DL writer that allows Book Type setting for DVD+R media. If you are unaware Sony does not manufacture DVD Burners and all Sony DVD Burners are actually manufactured by Lite-On.

The correct way to set book type setting is through your DVD Burner firmware. Any other way is an incorrect way and will cause you problems. Any software trickery that a particular software program uses to set book type setting is just that. It is software trickery that somewhere down the line will prove to be problematic with those particular DVD+R media that was tricked into book setting of DVD-ROM.

As sated above the correct and safest way to set book type setting on DVD+R media is through DVD Burner Firmware. Any other way is an incorrect manner and in some particular DVD playback devices the software trickery book type setting might not be recognized.

If in fact you acquire DVD Burner firmware that supports book type settin of DVD+R media no mater what software program you use the book type setting of your DVD+R media will always automatically be set to DVD-ROM. This is the correct manner to set book type setting of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM.

Best Regards,
bjkg

CoolbreezeToo
As bjkg said the most efficient way to change bitsetting is throught the firmware.
Regardless of what software you use, it will always burn a DVD+to DVD-Rom if those instructions are in the firmware.

I myself have a Liteon with customized firmware using a program called OmniPatcher, you can use it on Liteon and Sony drives. I have never tried a DL disk yet, still to expensive for my taste, but with the newest OmniPatcher and firmware I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you.

Below are a couple of links that may be of help to you. If you use the OmniPatcher, it is quite easy to do, just read the instructions carefully.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1333001

Link For OmniPatcher for Liteon & Sony Drives
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

Ok, I appreciate the help but I’m about to lose my mind. I located the Lite-on name for my Sony drive, and located the firmware for it… I got a hold of the omnipatcher for the firmware…NOWHERE during the course of my using the omnipatcher was the word DVD-ROM seen in reference to setting the booktype… it says you can turn autobitsetting on or off, but not what effect this has on the burn, I saved 3 .exe files, one with fix bitsetting support checked , one with autobitsetting checked, and one with both greyed out from using other patchware… All three efforts of using these firmwares have resulted in copies remaining as dvd+r booktype when finished. So WHAT setting is supposed to make this f$#%&^%@ thing record dvd +r DL’s into DVD-ROM booktype? Omnipatch info list doesn’t say. does anybody know of a firmware editor the specifically offers a clear command of setting booktype to DVD-ROM in plain English? My drive is a Sony DRU-710a /LiteON 1633(?).

Sorry, it’s been 3 days of wading through hip deep jargon trying to figure this out and it’s beginning to wear my patience…

you should use nero and change the booktype there before burning. I have the same problem and i was looking for a program that could do autobitsetting but had no luck for now you pretty much have to change to booktype to dvd-rom everytime you restart with nero/dvd decrypter. There should be other programs that can also change it. Hopefully slysoft will put that option into anydvd.

@ CoolbreezeToo

Suggest for detailed information concerning Bit Setting Firmware for your particular Sony DVD Burner visit the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) and inquire there. The Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum is the appropriate Forum for the discussion of Sony and Lite-On DVD Burner firmware. At the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum there are extremely knowledgeable Forum Members like COdeKing, dhc014, code65536, Ssseth and numerous other Forum Members there that can provide detailed information on particular Bit Setting firmware for you particular Sony DVD Burner. Also at the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum suggest reading the “Read First” postings in the beginning of the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum for firmware information.

Best Regards,
bjkg

@ Devilbmxskater,

Perchance did you read my comments in posting #4 and Forum Member itzbinnice comments in posting #5 to Forum Member CoolbreezeToo concerning using DVD Firmware to set Book Type setting?

Suggest looking into acquiring Book Type bitsetting firmware for your particular DVD Burner. Then automatically no matter what software you chose to use the Book Type bitsetting of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM would be automatically be done each time you burned DVD+R media. Using software to set Book Type bitsetting is software trickery and will prove problematic in some DVD play back devices. The correct way to set Book Type bitsetting of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM is through DVD Burner firmware.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg some burners dont offer the option of doing bitsetting through firmware. It would be the right way to do it but if you cant do it through firmware the next best thing is autobitsetting. I wasnt sure if sony let people change the booktype with firmware.

@ Devilbmxskater,

Please refer to my posting #2 and #4 in this thread. In those postings I informed Forum Member CoolbreezeToo who also has a Sony DVD Burner that Sony DVDs are actually manufactured by Lite-On and that if you visit the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) you will be able to obtain either Sony or Lite-On DVD Burner firmware the will allow auto-bit book type setting that will automatically set DVD+R media to DVD-ROM.

Bottom Line -> Proceed to the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) and acquire DVD firmware for your particular DVD Burner that allows auto-bit book type setting firmware for you Sony DVD Burner. If you are unfamiliar with installing DVD Burner firmware suggest viewing the “Read First” postings in the beginning of the Lite-On/Sony DVD Burner Forum.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg
CoolbreezeToo took your advice and has posted in the Liteon Forum.
Unfortunately he has not had much luck trying three different custom saves with the OmniPatcher, all three attempts produced DVD+.
If you care to follow it here is the link:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=144971

Having no experience with bitsetting DL media I am curious to learn.
Having looked at the Liteon 832 firmware that is capable of burning DL media,
I did not see one manufacturer of DL media present in the compatibility listing.
I will download the latest stock firmware for the Sony DRU 710 that CoolbreezeToo owns, load into the OmniPatcher, and see what, if any, DL media it shows. Maybe the firmware does not recognize TDK DL media, I just don’t know at this juncture.

I would like to know if others were successful in burning DVD+ DL to DVD-ROM, how about it folks, anybody have luck?

Edited: Sorry for the Bold but that’s not how it looks in the edit mode and the top part of bjkt quote has several sentences missing?