Book type management tool from benq

vbimport

Hello,

i’m a new, and proud, owner of a benq 1620 pro drive.
After reading a lot good tests, and a lot of good words about the 1620 in this forum, i decided to buy it.
Because i’m new, i have a lot of questions about this drive.
i really hope some people can help me to get the best out of this jewel from benq.
the first question is about the book type management tool.
What is best to use:
before burning:set to dvd-rom type or just burn a dvd+ as a dvd+

Another question what is the best compatible brand with this drive (dvd+)? i’dont have to burn at the highest speed but want good quality burnings, not only for today but i also want that the dvd has the same quality in a couple of years!
should i therefore always burn at 4X or can i also get the best possible quality at a higher (8X or 16X) speed.

What firmware is best to use: the official ones or the “others”

thank you for your help!

booktype to DVD-ROM is automatically set…if i am not mistaken to enable booktype to DVD-ROM you do not have to use the BENQ BOOKTYPE MANAGEMENT TOOL…i have never used it to burn DVD+R media…technically the 1620 burns DVD+R media better than DVD-R but there is a thread in here that DVD-R is also burned quite as well…just use good quality dvd media and you won’t have any problems… :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

that’s a fast answer!
if it’s set automatic, what is the use of the program anyway?

that’s a fast answer, thanks for that!

as i’ve mentioned i don’t use the booktype management tool so perhaps someone else can answer your question. :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

You can use the tool for rewritables which of course are not set to DVD-ROM by default.

As DVD ADDICT already said, “booktype to DVD-ROM is automatically set” this is done for establish better comptability with stand alone dvd players. If you don’t want that, you can change this again with the booktype utillity.

For what is the best dvd brand, stick with well know brands like Verbatim or Fuji etc etc, just keep away from the cheap stuff if you want quality.

If yu have a real Benq 1620 pro then there’s no need for other than the original firmware.

as a newbie on the scene:
thanks to you all for the answers,
i really can do something with this! :slight_smile:

just install the software and set DVD+R to DVDROM. use +R and you won’t have problems assuming you always update to the latest firmware from benq. also if you live in canada, DVD+R is almost always on sale at futureshop. i always go for maxell or benq 8x.

The book type management on dvd rom mode will fool the majority of set-top/standalone DVD players into believing that there is an original DVD rom disc in the drive.
However, if your particular set top player cannot be fooled into believing that an obviously purple disc is the same thing as a silver disc (very rare issue), the feature can be turned off with the book type management tool.
I always use DVD+R media and always have the book type set to DVD-ROM for best compatibility with most set-top players.