Book Type Error on Nero 6

I have a DVD Multi-format RW±/R± drive made by Pacific Digital a model U-30264.

Specifications

Buffer Size 2 MB
Device Type DVD±RW (+R double layer) drive
Enclosure Type Internal
Interface IDE
Optical Storage 1 x DVD±RW (+R double layer) - 5.25" x 1/2H
OS Required Microsoft Windows 2000 SP2, Microsoft Windows XP SP1
Product Description Pacific Digital Mach 16 - DVD±RW (+R double layer) drive - IDE
Read Speed 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD)
Rewrite Speed 24x (CD) / 4x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW)
Write Speed 48x (CD) / 8x (DVD-R) / 16x (DVD+R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL)

Everytime I try to burn a disk, either using Nero (v 6) Express, or DVD Shrink, the process fails because (according to Nero) “The drive does not support changing the book type of *** to DVD-ROM.” This happens on DVD-R and DVD-RW disks, whether it is data or video.
How can I turn off the “Change book type” on Nero so it doesn’t try this?
or
How can I make my drive support changing the book type on these drives?

Please help, after ruining 10 disks I am starting to think I will never be able to burn a DVD video.

Update Nero to the last version and see what happens.
I have an Asus and it didn’t worked well until i did that.

try updating your version 6

theres a trial version of Nero 7 you can download,( but be quick) this one is the “premium” version but i am sure you can get the other versions to

Nero 7
Current version: 7.0.1.2
Release Date: October 31st, 2005
Running Until: November 30th, 2005
Filesize: 101,26 MB ( 106184192 bytes

This software was what came with my burner from the MFG, do you think updating is going to solve the problem? Or is this just a maybe?

What else can I try, because I want to solve my problem this weekend, and I would like to have more options. Anybody?

There was a post sometime ago where the guy had exactly this problem, namely Nero was trying to set a DVD-R to booktype DVD-ROM.
He upgraded to the , then , latest Nero version & the problem was solved. Something got confused within Nero & the upgrade cleared it.

I’d stick to Nero 6 for now if I was you.

Okay, but that doesn’t solve my problem.
Anyone else with a suggestion?
Does anyone know how to stop Nero from trying to change the book type, or how you can enable book type change on a drive?

use +r media if u have any then change the book type to dvd-rom this may help set ur drive.

How do I change the book type?

Anyone?

in nero goto nero cd-dvd speed, then to extras ,click on bitsetting ,then put in a +r dvd , then set them to dvd-rom,then tick set as default, then click set.( -r media is already set to dvd-rom on the disc) u can only change the bitsetting on +r media u can set +rw & +rdl as well
hope this helps

You could try letting Nero & DVD Shrink create image files & burn with DVD Decrypter or Imgburn & see what they do.

In Nero Burning Rom you can set what Nero does with book type. It’s Recorder/Choose Recorder & options. Try the various options , specifically Current Recorder setting, which might switch off this action.

You could also see if there’s a firmware upgrade for your burner.

If you could get Nero to change your bitsetting, it is ok.
Nero doesn’t keep trying to change the booktype it just changes it. If you want it back to DVD+R I think you have to “tell” Nero again, because I suppose it keeps the previous definition you asked for.

Bitsetting in Nero 6 needs that Nero has your drive in its tables, second that your drive firmware allows it to be changed - this just in case your problem is not being able to change - so this is the reason why the last version can do the trick+

Okay, I think I have my problem solved.

Thanks to another forum I post with and the help from this one, I found what I needed to find and am having more than 80% sucess rate thusfar.

Would you like to share the solution with us?

For Nero Express, it is changed in this format:

4th Post Down

For DVD Shrink:

8th Post Down

Either of these will correct the book type problem, and also if you need to amend your burning speed in DVD shrink (which I found in my burner increased the chance of sucess.)

[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Blue]IT IS SIMPLE ,GO TO NERO STARTSMART,THEN IN THERE LOOK FOR NERO BURNING ROM,OPEN IT, THE SCREEN THAT COMES UP CLICK CANCEL,NOW GO TO SELECT RECORDER,SELECT YOUR WRITER,THEN AT THE BOTTOM THE IS A TAB CALLED OPTIONS ,CLICK IT,THEN YOU SEE BOOK TYPE CHANGE IT TO DVD-ROM.THAT SHOULD WORK.IT ALSO HAPPENED TO ME! :