Body of missing 9-year-old hunter found

vbimport

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/viewart/20140218/NEWS01/140218006/Body-missing-9-year-old-hunter-found?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

EL DORADO — Authorities say a 9-year-old boy who didn’t return after he went squirrel hunting in the south Arkansas woods has been found dead.

Union County Sheriff Mike McGough says the body of Hank Bollen of Magnolia was found late Tuesday morning near the border of Union and Columbia counties.

Shreveport, La., television station KSLA reported the boy had at least one gunshot wound, though authorities haven’t said how that happened.

The sheriff says his office was called by wildlife officers who were summoned just before nightfall Monday when the boy hadn’t returned home. McGough says Hank had been hunting by himself with a single-shot, .22-caliber rifle.

The body is being sent to the state Crime Lab in Little Rock for an autopsy.

If this story is true as stated the parents should already be in jail for letting a 9 year old have 22 rifle by himself and for letting him go hunting by himself. They should be in jail if he even had BB gun by himself.

I’m not sure what the laws are for youth hunting in Arkansas, but 9 seems kinda young to be unaccompanied by an adult. the legal age here is 11 WITH a parent.

Samlar, how do you feel about a 12 year old having a 22 single shot rifle?
I had a BB gun when I was 8 and a .22 single shot when I was 12

Dee, if the original post’s last paragraph isn’t “Political” what is?

I went hunting with my cousin several times we were both six years old .
At least when we started . We used a semi-automatic Browning .22 rifle.
We we unsupervised & sometimes 4 or 5 miles away from his house. He lived in the country & this was regular activity for him. I was a city kid so I only got to visit him & do this a couple of times a year. He was a much better shot but we usually brought home some rabbits.
For some reason we knew not to shoot holes in other peoples property.
Or each other since we are both still here.

BTW If you want to put my parents in jail for this you will need to exhume them . Same for my uncle. My aunt is still alive but pretty old.
I think the statute of limitations is up as well.

To add more I took a friend of mine out shootin my .22 pistol with his 4 year old. The kid got a real kick out of shooting with just a little help holding the pistol.

I had a BB gun at age six and a .22 rifle at age twelve. I hunted with my father from age five and he usually had to carry me out of the woods asleep at that age. I fired my first gun at 5-6 years old.

There are a lot of details that we don’t know so I am not ready to throw his parents under the bus. This might have been an accident that could have happened whether he was alone or with an adult. I don’t know the maturity level of this kid or how his parents instructed him in the use of firearms. Accidents happen and sometimes there is no one at fault. I am not ready to dictate to everyone how they should raise their kids over one incident. I am also not ready to knee jerk react and say the parents should be charged with anything. They are likely suffering the worst pain that could be inflicted on them already which is the loss of a child.

Before someone posts that I , Allan & UTR should be concerned about what the parents are feeling. I’m sure each of us would extend our sympathies to them.
Certainly with no more information than is currently available.

If later there were enough evidence to find the parents neglegent then maybe there should be some prosecution. For example they just bought him the gun the day before & sent him out hunting without any training. I really doubt that is what happened.
If they had trained the boy good gun safety & it was just an accident .The parents weren’t neglegent . In that case they will suffer more than enough.

In cases like this when the first reaction is to “find someone to blame” the person calling for that assignment of blame is making a political comment.

What we do know about this case is that the gunshot wound is reported to be “self-inflicted”

http://www.knoe.com/story/24752994/officials-in-south-arkansas-looking-for-boy

Accidentally? Intentional Suicide?

UPDATE: (as of 1pm 18FEB14 by KTVE News)
Update (1 p.m.):

UNION COUNTY, AR (KTVE) - Union County Sheriff Mike McGough is now saying that the missing Magnolia boy found dead this morning died of a gunshot wound.

Earlier investigators said Hank Bollen, 9, may have died by drowning.

Sheriff McGough says they’re investigating this as a hunting accident and do not believe foul play was involved.

Bollen’s body has been sent to Little Rock for an autopsy at the State Crime Lab and the investigation is not yet over.

Family members also declined comment. They did say that this was a normal thing for Hank to go out hunting by himself. Hank was out of school Monday due to the Presidents’ Day holiday.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2719813]I’m not sure what the laws are for youth hunting in Arkansas, but 9 seems kinda young to be unaccompanied by an adult. the legal age here is 11 WITH a parent.

Samlar, how do you feel about a 12 year old having a 22 single shot rifle?
I had a BB gun when I was 8 and a .22 single shot when I was 12

Dee, if the original post’s last paragraph isn’t “Political” what is?[/QUOTE]

Please allow the mods and administrators of the forum to determine the nature and placement of these threads. Trying to force our hand in what is allowed and where it should be seen is not the path to take.

Just a heads up gentlemen…this experiment with allowing political threads is going south in a hurry. And the expansion of such contentious threads into the Living Room and News forum [B]is going to stop[/B]. Best get ready, because the current situation is wearing thin.

IMO, many of these threads that are causing problems for the management should have been posted in the political forum from the start. I can tell within seconds of reading the initial post whether the thread is headed in a political direction. I think the majority of the problem is that the authors of these threads don’t realize that their topic is political and post it in the wrong forum. IMO, the political forum has been a success when it gets used properly. Discussions there have been far less explosive than I expected. I don’t see where shutting it down will help matters as it just removes a place to put threads that are political. Also, removing it will not stop threads with a political slant or keep others from becoming political.

Just my $0.02 in the matter.

Edit:
I just want to add that the initial post in this thread had far less potential to be political until the last two sentences were included. It pushed the topic toward gun control which, in the USA, is always a political discussion. It also invited others to give their opinion which also leads to topics taking a political slant. I do agree that there is no need to antagonize the situation by poking the proverbial “stick in the eye” of management over past decisions. We all need to move on and leave the past where it belongs… in the past. There is no need to drag baggage from one thread into another one as this just escalates the conflict further.

[QUOTE=UTR;2719933]IMO, many of these threads that are causing problems for the management should have been posted in the political forum from the start. I can tell within seconds of reading the initial post whether the thread is headed in a political direction. I think the majority of the problem is that the authors of these threads don’t realize that their topic is political and post it in the wrong forum. IMO, the political forum has been a success when it gets used properly. Discussions there have been far less explosive than I expected. I don’t see where shutting it down will help matters as it just removes a place to put threads that are political. Also, removing it will not stop threads with a political slant or keep others from becoming political.

Just my $0.02 in the matter.[/QUOTE]
:flower: I can tell as soon as I see a post from what I affectionately call ‘The gang of four’. And if you folks aren’t smart enough to keep this stuff out of the technical news forum I’ll start shutting threads down. Fair warned is forewarned…:cop:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2719934]:flower: I can tell as soon as I see a post from what I affectionately call ‘The gang of four’. And if you folks aren’t smart enough to keep this stuff out of the technical news forum I’ll start shutting threads down. Fair warned is forewarned…:cop:[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I declare, it shouldn’t be this difficult, but I’ve grown equally tired of seeing the same thing happen in threads time and time again.

olyteddy & Albert,

Is your issue that threads that are political, or can easily turn political, should be posted in the political forum by their authors or do you have an issue with these type of threads no matter where they are posted?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2719924] And the expansion of such contentious threads into the Living Room and News forum [B]is going to stop[/B]. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2719934] And if you folks aren’t smart enough to keep this stuff out of the technical news forum I’ll start shutting threads down. Fair warned is forewarned…:cop:[/QUOTE]

I’m going to answer these posts on my behalf…

Edit: Thank you for that but it was completely unnecessary. I wasn’t asking for an explanation of ‘Why’ you post, I was asking that people be considerate of ‘Where’ and ‘What’ they post.

What was edited in the previous post was no violation of any forum rules .

[QUOTE=UTR;2719946]olyteddy & Albert,

Is your issue that threads that are political, or can easily turn political, should be posted in the political forum by their authors or do you have an issue with these type of threads no matter where they are posted?[/QUOTE]

Previously, it was only that the threads would turn political AND off-topic, and would not return to the true intent. Now, it’s just that they turn political at all (since there’s absolutely no way to stop it) without having been intended for the Political subforum, even though some people are fully aware of what they are saying and doing.

Never mind the fact that things just begin to go around in a circle with no real escape when anything contentious is brought up…

This thread has run its course. We will not allow it to become a debating platform with the moderators and admins.

But be aware that our tolerance for political, religious and other controversial threads in the Living Room and Latest News Headlines forums is at an [B]end[/B].

If you have complaints to register with the staff, do so in a private message. But also be aware that private messages are confidential, not to be shared in the open forum. I do not share pm’s with other staff unless it is laced with obscenities or is threatening in some manner. I do my best to protect the privacy of our members, and expect the same courtesy in return. Sharing of pm’s on the forum is grounds for immediate suspension of posting privileges.

This thread is closed.