BluRays won't play, gold spots on burned surface?

I have an LG WH10LS30 and have been using cheap BD-Rs. One disc brand was Acro Circle, I don’t remember the other brand. My problem is that after a year or less I found that some of the discs couldn’t be read even in the burner. On closer inspection I see many very small gold colored spots (the same color as the base of the BD-R before burning). These spot are actually just specs, I used a magnifying gless to see them better.

Does anyone know what could be causing this other than cheap media. If it’s cheap media, how can they sell crap that won’t even last 1 year.

[QUOTE=TheOne_66;2658852]I have an LG WH10LS30 and have been using cheap BD-Rs. One disc brand was Acro Circle, I don’t remember the other brand. My problem is that after a year or less I found that some of the discs couldn’t be read even in the burner. On closer inspection I see many very small gold colored spots (the same color as the base of the BD-R before burning). These spot are actually just specs, I used a magnifying gless to see them better.

Does anyone know what could be causing this other than cheap media. If it’s cheap media, how can they sell crap that won’t even last 1 year.[/QUOTE]

These spots are points where the recording layer has been destroyed by exposure to air. I’ve been told by a manufacturer that this is commonly caused by the use of cheap or recycled polycarbonate(the clear plastic layer), poor manufacturing processes, or inadequate quality controls which ends up with microscopic “tunnels” through the polycarbonate allowing air to reach the recording layer at tiny pinpoints like that.

Too many people are reporting short life from their BD-R’s. Another member reported a similar experience with Optodisc BD-R like yours. Thank you for reporting this. You may at least save some other people from going through this. I’ve been looking into this issue of BD-R longevity for a bit now, and I’m as disgusted as you are with companies that are willing to sell us this kind of junk.

Here is a picture from a recent longevity test with BD-R showing the same type of failure with JVC Taiyo Yuden BD-R. Don’t worry about your burner, this type of failure is entirely due to the discs. And don’t run out and buy Sony BD-R after looking at this. Sony also packages lower quality BD-R in some of their spindles.