Bluescreen when copying: PX-716SA

Hi!

I just got a new PX 716SA DVD writer (TLA 0308). After installing the drive I flashed FW 1.09. Burning of DVDs is working so far. But reading from DVDs (DVD+RW) ends in a blue screen what is really annoying since the drive is also used as DVD-ROM (reader).

Does anybody know the reason for this error?

My hardware:
I am using an ABIT AN8-Ultra mainboard with NForce4-Ultra chipset.
The board is equipped with four SATA-ports. On port 1 a WD Raptor is attached; on port 2 the Plextor is put in.

All kinds of help are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Frittenbude

What error is given by the blue screen? There is alwaya a error number, something like 0X0000008E, and usally an error name, something like IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL.

With error code and number you could do a Google search both on newsgroups and the regular Google search. Tell us what possible sources of problems are reported on the web.

OK, thank you for the hint. I am going to force this blue screen again.

Afterwards I will tell you the error code and description.

Regards,
Frittenbude

very strange at the end like that unless it is trying to play the disk! but most blue screens are from DLA or INCD installed!

Hi!

I found out some new informations about my error.

First of all, here is a description to the error code:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284/en-us/

Besides that, I found out an import thing about the reason of the appearing of the blue screen. Namely that it only occurs when reading from a DVD with too high error rates. I read files from a DVD+RW for example which had very high error values when reading them out with Plextools.

So the blue screen comes from too high error rates which can’t be corrected by the error correction.
But normally such an error should not end in a blue screen I think, because the blue screen does not occur on other machines with other drives.
A BenQ 1640 read the full DVD without an error message. A Philips notebook drive read a part of the DVD an then showed a normal windows error, when the errors could not be corrected by the error correction.

Maybe the blue screen has something to do with the S-ATA interface. Or did somebody had a related problem with a 716A.

Regards,
Frittenbude

I have no experience when it comes to SATA devices. I suggest a couple of things you could try. First go back to firmware 1.08 and see if the problem still occurs. To find out if firmware plays a role here.

If that’s of no effect I suggest to take a closer look at the hardware. Make sure your motherboard is not overclocked. You could put the BIOS back to it’s defaults to check wheather BIOS setting play a role.

Next step would be to go to a minimal configuration with just Motherboard, CPU, Memory, HD and DVD player and see if the error still occurs. If it does than one of the before mentioned devices plays a role. I would suggest a memorytest then. I have used Windiag of Microsoft to good effect.

SATA just sucks… :wink:
No, seriously, there are sooo many threads here about problems with the 716SA…

Thank you for your replies.

@ EricJH,
that’s good procedure to isolate the problem.
In addition to your proposal I will also test other NForce4 drivers, especially S-ATA related drivers.

@ Lord Voldemort,
I know, that some people have problems with 716SA. But mostly those problems are related to booting problems (of the drive), or that the drive is not recognized.
For me, the 716SA works without any problems so far, besides the ones, when it comes to too high error rates of DVDs.
At least I didn’t see anybody else, who had similar problems to mine.

@ shoarthing,
I am aware of the compatibility list. But mostly those kinds of lists are incomplete or have not been tested with newer hardware.
The NForce4 is one of a few chipsets, which fully supports optical S-ATA drives.
But as I said above, I am going to make some more tests with attention to S-ATA related things like NForce4 drivers.

Another possibility is to test the drive on a linux os. But up to now, I could not find out, how S-ATA drives are addressed. I am waiting for an answer on this topic in the linuxquestions.org forums.

Regards,
Frittenbude

I just installed the new official NForce4 drivers (6.70). It seems like they fixed the problem. At least a DVD rip from a faulty DVD does not end in a bluescreen. DVD decrypter reports errors, which is the way it should be.

I hope that it will not be different with other faulty DVDs.

Bye,
Frittenbude

I just started experiencing this. I read some where to bump your DDR voltage up. I bumped it up from auto to 2.7 and it hasn’t blue screened yet. I was getting the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error.

If you are using DDR400, 2.63V are necessary indeed. But why should that result into problems only when reading from a 716SA?? :eek:

OK! How do you adjust your voltage?

In the BIOS.

Wow! And can you mess it up by setting it too high?

Normally you only have to increase the RAM voltage if you overclock the memory or if your PSU does not offer stable voltages (wobble).

If you experience problems related to you RAM, you should test it with the bootable tool memtest for several hours. This tool is very reliable.
It is downloadable here as an ISO-image:
http://www.memtest.org/

Regards,
Frittenbude

Of course. You could destroy your RAM.

That’s not completely true. The standard voltage for the RAM on one of my mainboards was 2.50V, which isn’t enough for DDR400. You have to set it to 2.63V (which often isn’t selectable, so you will choose 2.65V or something like that).

[Edit]I’ve just found the Intel DDR 400 specs, and they say that 2.60V should be used.

That’s right: 2.6V is a good value for DDR400.

The JEDEC/Intel specs allow an operating voltage of 2.5V-2.7V. 2.6V is located in the middle.
So 2.5V is not too low.

Bye,
Frittenbude

But 2.5V is on the edge of the specifications. Add some minor fluctuations to 2.5V which happen in every PC, and you will drop below the specs. You’re save with 2.6V.