Blue Screen with DVD-RW

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H55LI. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just started using some Fuji DVD-RW discs with my GSA-H55L internal drive. I have been trying out a few video programs and two of them frequently have been giving me the Blue Screen after they burn to the DVD-RW. The discs appear to play OK, so they must have been burned properly.

The Blue Screen states there could be several problem areas, but I have sufficient memory & hard drive capacity. And I never had a problem with the DVD-R discs. So I was figuring a driver, firmware or disc problem. I mention maybe a disc problem because another program will write to the RW discs but will not read them & I get message they may be copy protected.

I was looking on the LG web site & did download firmware version 106. It said I need to make my drive the master before updating the firmware. I called LG to get their thoughts. They said Fuji was not on their list of recommended DVD-RW discs & that could be the problem. They also said neither was Memorex. LG also said perhaps since my drive is the slave, that could be the problem. They did not think updating the firmware would make any difference.

Making my LG drive the master is not a problem. But disconnecting everything in order to get at the PC is a bit time consuming.

Is there consensus to what the real problem may be? If it turns out Fuji RW discs are problematic then I’ll get a different brand. But I’d hate to buy more discs and still have the same problem.

I use Windows XP SP2 with 1.5 GB RAM.

Fuji don’t do terrific discs anyway (unless they’re Made in Japan), and neither do Memorex, so I’d definitely swap brands - try something like Sony or Verbatim instead (LG drives tend to like the good stuff from what I’ve experienced).

(Fujifilm and Memorex discs are usually made by various manufacturers, and quality can vary widely).

Also…if you get the BSOD again, any chance you can post the STOP error code? That’ll help narrow down the culprit. :slight_smile:

[quote=Arachne;2168012]Fuji don’t do terrific discs anyway (unless they’re Made in Japan), and neither do Memorex, so I’d definitely swap brands - try something like Sony or Verbatim instead (LG drives tend to like the good stuff from what I’ve experienced).

(Fujifilm and Memorex discs are usually made by various manufacturers, and quality can vary widely).

Also…if you get the BSOD again, any chance you can post the STOP error code? That’ll help narrow down the culprit. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

LG recommended Victor, JVC, Mitsubishi, TDK. I’ll see what I can try a small quantity of, including Sony or Verbatim.

What does the STOP error code look like? There was a series of 8 digit hex numbers displayed. Would that be it?

Uninstall any packet writing software like Sonic DLA or Nero INCD.

[QUOTE=Mike109;2168093]
What does the STOP error code look like? There was a series of 8 digit hex numbers displayed. Would that be it?[/QUOTE]

That’s the one. :slight_smile: