Blue Screen of DEATH

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202N / TS-H652N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Just got a Samsung SH-S223F. When I tried to watch a DVD, my system crashed. :a
Installed the latest firmware (SB02) and tried again. Got a blue screen of death again. If does seem to play CDs OK but windows mounts two drives, a CD and a DVD. Also crashed on a DVD write test.
Don’t really want to mess around with this any longer and will probably send it back for a refuns…but wondered if any of you fine people have heard of this before and have got a quick fix?

System is Win XP Pro SP3, Motherboard MSI PN7

Thanx in advance :bow:

Funny thing that! My PC did Exactly the same thing 6 times over the last few weeks…I got n use a Samsung SH-S203B…
In the Blue Screen it says CD4 n other things…
I have been blameing my External HDD…So I now useing another External n if I get it again then it’s gota be the DVDWriter…
Only been happening to me recently n I’ve had this PC for nearly a year…I can only get back to Windows if I open the tray n take out the CD
I Don’t have SP3 installed, but I do have that Important Security Update installed that Microrubbish said was Crucial to do.
Wonder if its that…Was not happening before that update.

Now I can’t get rid of the CD Drive that doesn’t exist…
When I first installed the DVD two drive icons appeared on the desktop. A CD Drive and a DVD Drive, each had a drive letter assigned.
Now that I haven’t got any DVD or CD drive installed I still get the CD Drive icon in "My computer"
I’ve tried a system restore to the day before but the ghost Icon still appears, even tho the device manager says there’s no CD (or DVD) drive installed.

Anyone know how to delete a drive that the OS thinks is there even tho it’s own device manager (and the BIOS) thinks otherwise?

I really hate windows…and I’m starting to hate Samsung :a

Hi,[quote=MrScary;2159577]Funny thing that! My PC did Exactly the same thing 6 times over the last few weeks…I got n use a Samsung SH-S203B…
In the Blue Screen it says CD4 n other things…[/quote]it would be helpful to know the exact error message. This looks like a software related issue.
On most systems there is a Cdr4_2k.sys present. This is a driver by Roxio that comes with Windows Media Player in order to add CD-R burning support.

[quote=Doodness;2159592]Now I can’t get rid of the CD Drive that doesn’t exist…[/quote]Check device manager please. Perhaps you have installed some virtual CD drive software.
Another possibility are USB GSM modems. Some of them present themselves as CD-ROM in order to help install the drivers.

I really hate windows
So you have a second operating system (like Linux) ready to run? This would help sorting out if this is a hardware or software related issue

…and I’m starting to hate Samsung :a
I seriously doubt, this is a drive related issue.

Michael

What burning apps do you have installed and are you running Dameon Tools?