Blue screen of death - hope not

vbimport

Hi

Can someone please help me identify a problem, my computer has started to run the hard drive disk check program on each new boot , once complete the screen shows lots of lines and coloured graphics for a couple of seconds and then starts up normally - incidentally i have also noticed some times the computer wont shutdown and i have to turn it off manually. i’m scratching my head - anyone :confused: :confused:

I hope my hard drive isnt on its way out, (scsi sata 160gb deskstar)

You have the infamous Deathstar IBM drive. Hard booting your system can easily cause the checkdisc utility to run, but you need to run full diagnostics on the drive right away. Get the IBM utility and run all the tests. Also back up all your data.

I wonder if the garbage showed on your screen is due to harddrive failure. I’ve been having the same issue for some time and I found that using recent ATi drivers on my somewhat older ATi card (Radeon 9700) caused these problems. After going back to older drivers, that issue was gone. I don’t know if that applies to you as well, but it might be worth the check.

@rdgrimes: AFAIK, the 160Gb drives of IBM (Hitachi) nowadays don’t suffer from the high dropout count as the older series as the 60GXP etc? Or am I wrong?

AFAIK, the 160Gb drives of IBM (Hitachi) nowadays don’t suffer from the high dropout count as the older series as the 60GXP etc? Or am I wrong?

You’re probably right about that.

Video drivers could also be causing the hang at shutdown.

cheers lads,
I may get rid of the cat. 5.8 drivers and go with omega’s latest - failing that i might try a re-format ( i seem to end up re-formating every time i get the slightest fault though.) :doh:

Although , i still dont know why i cant shutdown 50% of the time. :confused:

Before doing anything, do a full backup and run the diagnostics on the drive.