Blue screen of death after 10 minutes of playing

vbimport

As the tiltle say. I got a BSOD error after about 10 minutes of playing a 3d game. The files associated with the error are ntfs.sys and win32.sys. The problem started after I noticed that the power supply was about to burn out, it finally did. I got a new one but I keep getting BSOD errors. Is it posible that the video card was damaged because of low voltage or wattage? If so, how can I be sure. I already installed the newest drivers and repaired the OS installation but keep getting errors. Can somebody help me please?

[QUOTE=The-Hermit_1971;2171971]As the tiltle say. I got a BSOD error after about 10 minutes of playing a 3d game. The files associated with the error are [B]ntfs.sys[/B] and [B]win32.sys[/B]. The problem started after I noticed that the power supply was about to burn out, it finally did. I got a new one but I keep getting BSOD errors. Is it posible that the video card was damaged because of low voltage or wattage? If so, how can I be sure. I already installed the newest drivers and repaired the OS installation but keep getting errors. Can somebody help me please?[/QUOTE]

It would be helpful if you tell us your information hardware and software installs would go along to figure out what is causing the problem. Also if you can tell us the exact wording of the error message says. Take your video card and place it in another computer and see if it works or don’t work then you will know how good the cards conditions are. What game did you play that cause the BSOD as well??? We need alot of info to start the diagnosising the problem.

Intel dual core processor, Gigabyte motherboard, 4 gb 800 mhz ram, 500 gb sata hard drive, 250 gb ide hard drive, geforce 8600gt video card, windows xp pro 64 bits. The computer crashes with every 3d game I play so I’m pretty sure that the problem is related with the video card.

0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFF97FFFA 63963, 0XFFFFFADF908A 6450, 0X0000000000000000)

NVA_disp.dll - address FFFFF97 FFFA63963 base 9 + FFFFF97FFF487000, Datestamp 48ebda7f

Let me know if you need more information.

PSU (brand, wattage?)
I would personally think that its somewhat related to XP 64-bit but oh well…
Have you tried installning new/reinstall video drivers for your card?
You could also try memtest86 for like a few hours to see if any errors pops up.
//Danne

Sounds like the PS can’t deliver the need power to the video card or motherboard?? What unit is your PS? How old is your system and have you cleaned the dust out of the insides of your computer from the cooling fins? It just sounds like it’s overheating and not being cooled fast enough. As a caution 64 support in XP is sparce and sparadic and I would stay with the 32 bit version cause it has more drivers and support that’s being the reason.

The PSU is a cheap brand. Is an Achieve AX500.N 500 watts power supply. I paid 20 bucks. It was what I could afford at the moment. I did a Google search and found this article http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=145 According to them is one of [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]the [B][I]best bang for the buck PSU available in the entry-level market[/I][/B]. Anything in my system is older than 7 months. I already installed the latest drivers and repaired the operating system.

As I said, the problem started when the previous PSU started to burn out. It finally did and I got the Achieve PSU hoping that it will solve the problem. The problem persists even after replacing the PSU. I don’t think the problem is related to the 64 bit operating system because I had no problems before the PSU incident. Also I ran 3DMark05 from a 32 bit operating system and also crashed. I’ll run 3DMark05 again with nothing but the hard disk connected to the PSU to see how it performs. I’ll post the results later. Can you recommend me a PSU around 50 bucks able to deliver the power my system needs?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ran 3DMark05 with nothing else than the card and the hard disk but it crashed anyway. I tried the onboard card wich is a Geforce 7100 and worked like a charm. I guess that this discards a lot of things. I think that the two most probable causes are a defective card or that the power supply is not capable of delivering enough energy to power all the devices on my computer. I’ll have to wait till I’m able to take the card to the locar computer store for testing. Does anybody knows a way to check how much power the PSU is delivering?

After looking at that PSU I would suspect it.

Its an old style design that provides similar power outputs on its 3.3 / 5v rail as the 12v rail. It would be an equivalent to a 300W top brand PSU. The amount of items you are running and the power drawn by the graphics and CPU are probably pushing it higher than it can cope with comfortably.

How long does the game play before the PC crashes?
Does the video card have a power connector on it, is it plugged in?
You can also try uninstalling the nvidia drivers, run “driversweeper” (free program), then reboot and install the latest x64 drivers.