Blue Screen from bad DVD and DVR-216D

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-215D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I have a Pioneer DVR-216D (SATA) with the latest firmware (1.09) on a WinXP (Athlon 64, MSI motherboard) system. Everytime I try to copy some file from one particular corrupt DVD to the HD, I get the blue screen of death. With a second, older LG, I can copy that file. Is that normal? Any suggestions?

And by the way, I just dropped the disk on the floor and now the player won’t even recognize it. So I can’t give you the BSOD code any more…

Check the SATA controller settings, they should be non-raid.

Raid support is disabled from the bios anyway.

And what is the current set up & the name of the controller?

AMD Athlon64 3200 " on an “MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (MS-7125)” motherboard with “nVIDIA nForce4 Ultra (CK8-4)” chipset (tried the latest nVidia Sata drivers, and also tried to rollback but the problem persists). Bios is “Phoenix AwardBios v6.00PG”, and RAID is disabled. My DVD player and the HD reside on the same SATA controller. The “Good” news is that I found another corrupt DVD that gives me a BSOD. The message on the BSOD is: “Machine_Check_Exception… Stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80546E70, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)”. I also get: “Machine_Check_Exception… Stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0x80546E70, 0xE67D0000, 0x00010016)”. I also checked the Event Viewer, and just before a crash I get a bunch of CDROM events 51 and 7 (“error detected during paging operation”, and “the device has a bad block”). Also I get a couple of nvgts event 5 and 9 errors (“a parity error was detected on device\scsi
vgts1”, and “the device did not respond within the timeout period”). This is all the info I can get, and unfortunately I can’t get the BSOD “memory dump” to work (tried 64k minidump, kernel, and full memory dump, but after bsod I can’t locate any *.dump or minidump file on my HD, hidden, system or whatever). I get a feeling that my problem has to do with nVIDIA, and I’m thinking to try to activate RAID on the DVD chanel from BIOS, but don’t know how). Sorry for the long post…

I tried activating RAID and still the same problem…

Also tested memory with memtest86 , and it’s fine…

Did rollback for SATA controller, to the microsoft drivers, and I get no more blue screen !!! So my guess is that it’s the nVIDIA sata driver’s fault (tried both 10.3.0.42 found in nforce 15.23, and the previous release, and they failed the BSOD). I also found that the reason I wasn’t getting a memory dump at the BSOD was the faulty drivers again). Next I’ll try to install DVD and HD on separate cables, reinstall nVIDIA drivers, and see what happens…

[QUOTE=nik33134;2171941]Did rollback for SATA controller, to the microsoft drivers, and I get no more blue screen !!! So my guess is that it’s the nVIDIA sata driver’s fault (tried both 10.3.0.42 found in nforce 15.23, and the previous release, and they failed the BSOD). I also found that the reason I wasn’t getting a memory dump at the BSOD was the faulty drivers again). Next I’ll try to install DVD and HD on separate cables, reinstall nVIDIA drivers, and see what happens…[/QUOTE]

Correct, m$ drivers are the best choice in your case.

After all, I managed to get a BSOD with the ms drivers as well, but it took much longer, and the memory dump did not work either. So I set the HD and the DVD on different controlers, reinstalled the latest nvidia drivers and that seems to be the solution for me, no BSOD as of now…

…and memory dump works fine now too… (yes, I did manage to get another BSOD, but with a lot of effort). Still, my older LG GSA-4167B (IDE) can copy all the files that the Pioneer gets stuck on (cyclic redundancy error). Weird, is it not?

Mostly the disc/burn quality is the key.

The HD & Burner should never be on the same controllers