Blue Screen booting in normal mode

vbimport

I have a HP IMedia desktop PC and wanted to upgrade.
I Bought …
GIGABYTE S-series GA-M729-US3
AMD Phenom II 3.0Ghz Quad Core 940 black edition
2X Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 Ram Modules
The Motherboard would not fit in my IMedia case So I bought A Coolermasters V770 With an illuminated case fan, which it fitted fine.
I painstakingly and carefully Installed Motherboard, CPU + Cooler , Ram Modules, Then the components I already had which were…
DVD/CD RW Drive and 200GB IDE Hard disk With Windows XP 32bit Home Edition On It(The GIGABYTE Motherboard only had 1 IDE Slot so I used the same cable for the DVD/CD Drive and the HDD, I was sure to set the jumpers so the HDD was master and DVD/CD Drive was slave, and made sure that the cable positions also reflected this by putting the DVD/CD drive in middle and HDD on the end).
I installed the Power Supply Unit which was a 20 pin 1 and not 24 as on the motherboard but the manual said this was fine as long as pins 21,22,23 and 24 were not used, which I did.
I connected all the Front panel ports carefully following the manuals instructions.
I installed the Graphics card I had, which was a PCI-E raedeon x300/X500 series 128MB card.
I used the VGA setup to connect to my monitor, Plugged in the power, connected a PSP/ or non USB Mouse and Keymoard and powered it up.
The Motherboard flash screen appeared and then the windows XP logo screen appeared with the moving left to right, I thought everything was fine than where it would normally go black for a while then a cursor appears it went black then “Blue Screen Of Death”.
I restarted and started in safe mode, it booted into safe mode fine, I must be so close to having it working, When I got into safe mode, it even started to install new devices (All of them), then I had to restart and on doing so after windows flash screen in normal mode “Blue screen again”, booted again into safe mode and thought it might be the Motherboards drivers, but even though the dvd/cd drive is in My Computer I cannot “Explore” the disk instead it shows my Desktop, But if the disk Autorund it gives me an error saying that Path D:…Htm could not be found, I assume that this is a path on the disk, and as I cannot explore the disk, perhaps Windows cannot either?
I do hope you can help, this was a mjor undertaking for me and it would be great to see it complete, Your advice has been invaluable in the past and I hope it will be again.
Thanks RGK!

Just To Add, Blue Screen Has small amount of text, with at very bottom
*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0X0000005,0XBA547756,0XBACE342C,0XBACE3128)
Not sure if this helps just posting in case it is vital information.
Thanks again.
RGK!

The fact that the PC boots OK in Safe Mode would lead me to believe that it could be a driver problem, as I believe only selected drivers are loaded in Safe Mode.

I found this on the MS support section…have a look and see if it’s any help. :slight_smile:

You changed the motherboard, but are still trying to use the original installation of Windows from the earlier computer? That won’t work.

You’ll have to reinstall Windows. And you cannot use a restoration disk from the HP computer. You’ll need either a full retail copy of Windows, or an OEM version (they are cheaper).

Here is an example of Windows XP OEM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

You could also just install the newest Windows operating system, which is Win7, on this machine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752

Hmm! Both of these suggestions sound feasible, I have an original copy of windows of course, I would like to think that a driver problem is the cause, but the drivers that came with the motherboard cannot be accessed in safe mode for some reason, the disk shows in My computer but as I said autoplay loads an error with path location incorrect and right click/explore just brings up contents of Desktop which normally happens when a disk is removed.
For a complete reinstall, the problem is in safe mode I have no way to transport any vital data as I cannot use an external HDD to transport my personal files, USB ports seem to be disabled, I plug in a card reader and it lights up but then light goes out without finding new hardware, this is same on front and on back so the position of the usb port has no relative reason for it not working.
I have since been right through MSCONFIG, and checked all startup programs from windows and personal software and checked all the system/win.ini files, and also the boot.ini file and not any of the boxes checked/unchecked makes any difference.
I do not wish to lose my personal data, so is there any other option, or can you help with any of the matters I have just mentioned?
Thanks RGK.
Also I have been into Device Manager, and every single driver is working properly, checked all of them and they are all fine, all devices I can think of are showing there also, And the CPU shows correctly, Windows only detects 3GB of RAM but I expected that from my 32bit Operating System.

Put the original computer back together. Save any and all important data to another hard drive, or burn to dvds. Lets hope you haven’t screwed up the boot.ini file so that it won’t start.

Then, put your new computer together, do a fresh install of Windows. Make sure you have all the appropriate drivers ready.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2457476]The fact that the PC boots OK in Safe Mode would lead me to believe that it could be a driver problem, as I believe only selected drivers are loaded in Safe Mode.

I found this on the MS support section…have a look and see if it’s any help. :)[/QUOTE]

Firstly Thank you for your quick response, I have added further information and was not sure if you would be notified of it because I used quick reply option, so I used quote option as I appreciate your advice.
RGK.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2457517]Put the original computer back together. Save any and all important data to another hard drive, or burn to dvds. Lets hope you haven’t screwed up the boot.ini file so that it won’t start.

Then, put your new computer together, do a fresh install of Windows. Make sure you have all the appropriate drivers ready.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your quick response, I have added further information and was not sure if you would be notified of it because I used quick reply option, so I used quote option as I appreciate your advice.
RGK.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2457517]Put the original computer back together. Save any and all important data to another hard drive, or burn to dvds. Lets hope you haven’t screwed up the boot.ini file so that it won’t start.

Then, put your new computer together, do a fresh install of Windows. Make sure you have all the appropriate drivers ready.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that the upgrade was not just a choice, the original PC would not load, not even to a splash screen that is why I took on the upgrade.
And as far as the Boot.ini file I did not change it, I simply disabled/Enabled the services in msconfig to eliminate possible causes of the blue screen.
RGK.

One of the more experienced members here (Two Degrees) suggested a Repair install in your new machine. This should only overwrite the operating system and not touch the data, but there is no absolute guarantee for that. Here is the article he linked: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1755&page=5

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2457544]One of the more experienced members here (Two Degrees) suggested a Repair install in your new machine. This should only overwrite the operating system and not touch the data, but there is no absolute guarantee for that. Here is the article he linked: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1755&page=5[/QUOTE]

Thank you, This is just the solution I am looking for, of course swapping an Intel chipset for AMD’s will cause a problem, I can have a go at that, I have a slipstreamed Windows XP SP3 disk, would that suffice or would that leave me with the same problem?
thanks!
RGK.

I just tried the repair option, all was fine until windows splash screen came up again and then blue screen once more, am trying a second time, I am using my sp3 slipstream cd, if i should just use an original sp2 disk I will try on next attempt, I really hope this option works as it would solve my data transport Problem.
RGK.

I take it the slipstream cd will not work because it was created on an intel chipset, so I am going ahead with an original XP SP2 cd and hope that works.
RGK.

I just did it with the original xp sp2 cd, and it worked first time, I am so happy thanks for all your help, I mean everybody here, great job.
Eternally grateful!!
RGK!
:):flower::clap::cool:

I was out for a while and just now saw your last four posts…glad you got it working. TD deserves the credit for the suggestion.

Then Thank you to Two Degrees, you saved my life and I can claim major kudos for getting this sorted, It’s the first time I have done a build from scratch and will have a new aspired confidence which will make me not hesitate to do another, you are a God amongst mortals, I salute you!
Thanks CDFreaks for rescuing me once more.
RGK.

Before I go just one question, was the £287.00 I spent on these parts a wise choice? I couldn’t afford an i7 with the Motherboard it needed for optimal performance and the RD RAM was also pricey, Is the Phenom II with this GIGASET & The Corsair RAM Modules A good choice in your opinions?
RGK.

[QUOTE=RealGoneKid;2457609]Before I go just one question, was the £287.00 I spent on these parts a wise choice? I couldn’t afford an i7 with the Motherboard it needed for optimal performance and the RD RAM was also pricey, Is the Phenom II with this GIGASET & The Corsair RAM Modules A good choice in your opinions?
RGK.[/QUOTE]

I’d say you got a good deal, phenom II quad is a good way to go. Do you have a link to your MB I can’t find it on the net.

[QUOTE=RealGoneKid;2457581]I just did it with the original xp sp2 cd, and it worked first time, I am so happy thanks for all your help, I mean everybody here, great job.
Eternally grateful!!
RGK!
:):flower::clap::cool:[/QUOTE]

Just noticed this (been a lot of goings-on on the forum today :eek: ) - glad you managed to get it sorted :clap:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2457631]I’d say you got a good deal, phenom II quad is a good way to go. Do you have a link to your MB I can’t find it on the net.[/QUOTE]

Here Is Where I bought the GIGASET Motherboard, I hope it helps you as you have helped me…

Thanks again.
RGK.