Blue ray

vbimport

how do you copy blue ray disk?

why bother, when a blank blue ray disc costs you almost as much as buying a 2nd copy of the movie , and a blue ray burner costs a hell of a lot more ?

[QUOTE=cybmole;2006278]why bother, when a blank blue ray disc costs you almost as much as buying a 2nd copy of the movie , and a blue ray burner costs a hell of a lot more ?[/QUOTE]
Couldn’t agree with you more why bother and besides DVDFab AFAIK isn’t able to
copy Blue Ray discs at least not right now anyway. :disagree:

[quote=cybmole;2006278]why bother, when a blank blue ray disc costs you almost as much as buying a 2nd copy of the movie , and a blue ray burner costs a hell of a lot more ?[/quote]Why copy DVDs? The burner is 30 bucks while a movie is 19.99?

Oh, new release blu-ray movie is 29 and up, blank blu-ray is $9, and oh the burner is 300 bucks but it’s called hobby for burning fr3aks and long term investment. Hobby? yap, tweak it like crazy, take out those unneeded audio streams, cut out the chapters you don’t want (in music video), stream them to your HDTV, etc etc, and feel good about it!

[quote=irocyubabe;2006221]how do you copy blue ray disk?[/quote]DVDFab can’t do blu-ray and hd dvd anymore, period. Use AnyDVD HD with the built in ripper. Trial 21 days. Rip to your hard drive, use tsremux to cut out the unwanted audio streams and subtitles if needed, burn with ImgBurn to your blu-ray burner with UDF2.50 filesystem.

[QUOTE=bourned;2006533]Why copy DVDs? The burner is 30 bucks while a movie is 19.99?
QUOTE]

a blue ray burner for thirty bucks - in your dreams !

you are looking at $500 or more for a blue ray burner, $200 for just a reader.

you cant preserve blue ray quality on normal dvds - & theres no point buying a blue ray disc if you are going to compress the hell out of it and burn it to blank dvd media.

can u burn blue ray to dvd-r? lol that would be lovely if at all possible.

[QUOTE=johnnylove69;2006566]can u burn blue ray to dvd-r? lol that would be lovely if at all possible.[/QUOTE]
To repeat what somebody said earlier, why even bother? You wouldn’t have any of the HD goodness left, only an SD DVD. It would defeat the purpose.

[quote=cybmole;2006559]a blue ray burner for thirty bucks - in your dreams !

you are looking at $500 or more for a blue ray burner, $200 for just a reader.

you cant preserve blue ray quality on normal dvds - & theres no point buying a blue ray disc if you are going to compress the hell out of it and burn it to blank dvd media.[/quote]Dude, you didn’t do your homework and you didn’t read my post. DVD burner 30 bucks, blu-ray burner 300 bucks.

As for burning blu-ray to dvd, see below.

[quote=johnnylove69;2006566]can u burn blue ray to dvd-r? lol that would be lovely if at all possible.[/quote]Yes you can burn blu-ray to dvd-r, +r or DL with no loss of hidef quality, both video and audio. But you need to playback on blu-ray player. Google for blu-ray to dvd guide, it is here in cd freaks. http://www.google.com/search?q=bd2dvd%20blu-ray%20to%20dvd

So what’s the point? You don’t need a burner, you can buy a blu-ray reader and burn to dvd and that makes it even cheaper option (<200 bucks for blu-ray reader). But do you want to change discs in the middle of an action if you burn on dvd-r? Your call.

your examples are from geeks fooing around with high def cable tv shows.
There’s no way that you can take 20+Gb of commerical blu ray movie & get it onto standard DVd without

1. lots of compression , and
  2. defeating all the encyption and key management which protects the hi fdef stream all the way through the playback chain,
    if any of your DVd player,/your video card /your TV / monitor do not find the correct authentication keys within the content files then the signal will be downgraded to standard def. Currently that’s an unbreakable protection system. go here to read how hi def DRM works:
    LOok a typical NTSC format hollywood feature film is 5-6GB on DVD, the hi def version of the same film at720p or 1080i has 4 x the pixels to fill so it’s 4 times as large i.e. 20-24gb. if you’re gonna compress it back to 6gb then you could have just bought the standard def version in the 1st place - dummy.
    http://writersblocklive.com/boycott/

Cybmole I think he was saying you could put it on 2-3 dl or 4-6 sl discs…still I agree a waste of time and money.

I suppose you could always copy the blu-ray disc to VHS tape.
Be lots cheaper…:iagree:
Use SLP, that way you can fit 3 of 'em on one tape…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=maineman;2006746]I suppose you could always copy the blu-ray disc to VHS tape.
Be lots cheaper…:iagree:
Use SLP, that way you can fit 3 of 'em on one tape…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

copy the blu-ray disc to VHS tape. :eek:
revert to old tech :eek:
:bigsmile:

Sure you can! [U]All these people who say you can’t without destroying the ‘HD’ quality have NO idea what they’re talking about. [/U]Here’s the deal:

The VAST majority of Blu-Ray discs are encoded in the old, crappy MPEG-2 format. The same MPEG-2 format as DVDs. Yep. Blu-Ray is still encoded at the same bit-rate and by the same codecs as DVDs, with very rare exception.
Now, the difference is that Blu-Ray uses a ‘more precise’ (not the best term to describe it, but it’s kinda like precise) beam to burn data closer together, thus leaving more room for other stuff. But as far as destroying the data? Wrong.

Now, for the problems:

1. You are SEVERELY limited by the smaller size of the DVD (even DVD-DLs are less than half the size), meaning that you can’t fit the average length movie on one. Gotta chop it.

2. You also must have software that will allow your current DVD burner to do it correctly. This can be kinda hard to find.

3. You have to know how/what format/bit-rate etc. to encode your projects so it will look good. This requires you to know how to edit with more than Windows Movie Maker.

I own a videography/editing company, and the editing software I usually use, Sony Vegas 8 Pro, will allow you to do it, although it’s not a well-known or 100% fool-proof method.

Hi all! I am new here and am new to dvdfab. While I haven’t made a solid decision on whether to purchase DVDFAB (the free version does fine for me at the moment), I think we need to define what the term “copy” means. While most would agree that when you talk “copy” that implies that you will “copy” it to another DVD disk, I also consider “copy” to encompass the hard disk arena as well. For my purposes, I intend to have my entire DVD collection (main movie only) on hard disk using a HTPC for my playback. I am still hoping that DVDFAB would still be able to do that for me with BluRay as it does today with standard DVD. I still have the question of: Will DVDFAB Platinum “copy” the main movie to hard disk?

P.S. This is a great forum with great people. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.
JBDraco

No… Not reliably because of the key & DRM problems intimatedc above.

DVDFab no longer supports HD or Blue Ray disc AFAIK

Greg DRM can be disabled,…I disabled it a long time ago

at this point im still going strong with the “old” dvd’s. its my feeling that if members want to play around and do their thing let them. can you just imagine what the naysayers were chanting with the onset of vhs tapes, then with dvds. there will always be new technology and eventually a work around.

i say go for it. soon the price will be within my reach and i want an easy one click solution. someone has to get shocked to find out lighting is electricity. just glad its not me. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=charging_rhinos;2014775]Sure you can!
The VAST majority of Blu-Ray discs are encoded in the old, crappy MPEG-2 format. The same MPEG-2 format as DVDs. Yep. Blu-Ray is still encoded at the same bit-rate and by the same codecs as DVDs, with very rare exception.
:

You are SEVERELY limited by the smaller size of the DVD (even DVD-DLs are less than half the size), meaning that you can’t fit the average length movie on one. Gotta chop it.

.[/QUOTE]

those statements are contradictory - if the main movie is at DVD standard bit rate etc, then why is it twice the size of a DL blank - please explain

I think he’s missed the higher resolution in the equation.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2015778]I think he’s missed the higher resolution in the equation.[/QUOTE]
yep - that’s what I thought also - standard dvd is at 720x 480, but the HD formats of 720P 1080i use far more pixels, hence bigger files which will not fit on standard dvd.