Blue Ray to DVD? How?

vbimport

Hey All

GOt me a HDDVD/BlueRay combo drive, I have heaps of HDDVD’s and BlueRays I want to convert to DVD for my girl friend to use in the bed room on a standard dvd player.

How and what software would I need to do this?

AnyDVD HD - Commercial program.
TSMUXER (+TSMUXERGUI) - Free program
AVI2DVD - Free program
Ripbot264 - Free program. - oops - for AVCHD (Bluray on DVD5/DVD9) :wink:
Imgburn - Free Program.

Windows XP, or Vista - which I assume you already have :slight_smile:

twice as good

[QUOTE=eastley;2180242]Hey All

GOt me a HDDVD/BlueRay combo drive, I have heaps of HDDVD’s and BlueRays I want to convert to DVD for my girl friend to use in the bed room on a standard dvd player.

How and what software would I need to do this?[/QUOTE]

You’re in luck… I’ve done this with all my BluRays so far. My reason was because I cringed at the thought of letting my kids and grandkids handle and play my BluRays, and I couldn’t see myself buying DVD versions of movies I already had in BluRay… so I make DVD back-ups for them to use in their rooms or to borrow. Several of us at LGSoftwareInnovations forum (1ClickDVDCopy forum) have found a way to create a very crisp quality DVD from our BluRays…
First is to use TSRemux to extract only the main movie m2ts file from the BluRy rip… with only the main video stream, one audio stream(preferably AC3, if only TrueHD DTS, then you need to downconvert it to AC3), and even a subtitle stream (although getting the subtitle to transfer over to DVD back-up involves more steps) Then you end up with a single m2ts.

Then we use VSO ConvertXtoDVD to convert that m2ts to DVD format(VOBs, IFOs, & BUPs). If the movie m2ts is in the 25+GB range, we set the output to DualLayer DVD 8.5 GBs… if the m2ts is under 20 GBs, then we convert to a single layer DVD back-up 4.35 GBs…

ConvertXtoDVD has a free trial that converts the m2ts with their logo hard-coded on the video every so many frames.

[QUOTE=debro;2180253]AnyDVD HD - Commercial program.
Ripbot264 - Free program.
Imgburn - Free Program.

Windows XP, or Vista - which I assume you already have :)[/QUOTE]

Is RipBot still going to take 6+ hours when encoding the m2ts down to DVD format??
I tried it but it took so long on my first attempt, I just gave up… didn’t know it could convert m2ts files to VOBs.

The encode depends on the output resolution.

When I stick to 1080p output it can take up to 18 hours to do a full transcode but going for lower resolutions will net faster encodes as there is less data to process. Encoding for iPhone I have got encodes in under an hour before.

Worth trying out AVI2DVD since it’s free, but IMHO, it won’t retain very good vidoe quality thru the covertion… and I’m not too sure that it would accept m2ts files anways??

Worth trying out the free trial of ConvertXtoDVD as well. Much faster, in fact I doubt that there is any faster that creates a DVD back-up of our BluRays that looks just as good as commercial DVDs you’d buy… I know since I seen it with my own eye,lol:):wink:

[QUOTE=qwakrz;2180272]The encode depends on the output resolution.

When I stick to 1080p output it can take up to 18 hours to do a full transcode but going for lower resolutions will net faster encodes as there is less data to process. Encoding for iPhone I have got encodes in under an hour before.[/QUOTE]

But eastley basically wants DVD format back-ups of his BluRys that will play in their bedrooms DVD player… It’d be cool if RipBot could encode to DVD format though… I’d try it again if that were the case… but as it stands now, I have all my BluRays backed-up onto my harddrive (movie m2ts only) and PC connected to m HDTV… so no real need for RipBot currently…:wink:

[QUOTE=MBK;2180276]But eastley basically wants DVD format back-ups of his BluRys that will play in their bedrooms DVD player… It’d be cool if RipBot could encode to DVD format though… I’d try it again if that were the case… but as it stands now, I have all my BluRays backed-up onto my harddrive (movie m2ts only) and PC connected to m HDTV… so no real need for RipBot currently…;)[/QUOTE]

Would you please be able to write a step by step guide? :slight_smile:

Oh BTW, anyone that is actually interested in getting ConvertXtoDVD, I’ve got a great link for you to get it at 40% off… here’s how you do it…

[B] I entered ‘ConvertXtoDVD discount codes’ in Google…
then clicked on this link ConvertXtoDVD - 40% Off … clicked on the ‘Buy Now’ tab, and it went to the VSO default pay site and it showed the price as $29.99, $20 OFF…

If you aren’t too sure about this RegNow site, and would rather buy directly thru VSO, then do this…
With that window up, I opened another window in IE, went to VSO, clicked on buy ConvertX, and it took me to the RegNow pay site, and whalla… for @20 bucks off…$29.99.

I actually did this the first time and it showed it at $32.99 , but wneh I tried to go back, it was back to $49.99??.. so it basically only shows that price the first time you visit the site on each opened IE session…
Anyways, I closed out IE completely, pressed on RegNow link again and it then showed the full 40% off again… I opened up VSO in another IE window to make sure the RegNow site was the same address, and it was, also showing the $29.99 price… I bought it and paid via PayPal. Been ConvertX’ing ever since…;)[/B]

[QUOTE=eastley;2180281]Would you please be able to write a step by step guide? :)[/QUOTE]

I can… but it’ll take me A Bit to put it together…

[QUOTE=MBK;2180283]I can… but it’ll take me A Bit to put it together…[/QUOTE]

I am attempting to do it now, not sure how it will all go though.

But if its all good in the end then I am sure other will appreciate a small tutorial as much as I would.

Thanks a lot. Even if you don’t do tutorial.

Here’s a quickie BDInfo and TSRemux guide…
I’m suggesting BDInfo to see what the BluRay playlist and files are… freeware and very useful

BTW, not sure if you knew the .mpls was the playlist of the different m2ts files. Some BluRay discs have many smaller m2ts files that composes the main movie, and clicking on the playlist will show you which m2ts files are in the main movie, and in what order they are played at…

Now the ConvertXtoDVD guide… if you choose to use it.
Worth trying for the free trial to see if you like it.
You’d at least see how good the video quality will be, even though the free trial has their message across the video…

Traitor was only a single m2ts main movie file BD, but if you have some BDs that are multiple m2ts files for the movie, then you’d need to create a single joined m2ts from all those seperate ones using TSSplitter.

Sorry, I also forgot to put the Web Address of the 40% off link for ConvertX…
here it is… ConvertXtoDVD @ 40% off

[QUOTE=MBK;2180306]Sorry, I also forgot to put the Web Address of the 40% off link for ConvertX…
here it is… ConvertXtoDVD @ 40% off[/QUOTE]

Cool your a legend, but I already had ConvertXtoDVD laying around, got it about 6 months ago for some other stuff.

Your tutorial was cool, love the arrows and stuff, I went ahead before seeing your tut and it seems I got it all correct, but I am sure others will love it and that 40% off is a good deal to…

One more question.

What about HD DVD?

I don’t know anything about HD-DVD, but I think it’d be a similar process except you’d use something like EVODemux??..
and then ConvertXtoDVD can convert that to DVD format, and it does supports .EVO files as well…

BTW, do you have ConvertX version 3??

[QUOTE=MBK;2180347]I don’t know anything about HD-DVD, but I think it’d be a similar process except you’d use something like EVODemux??..
and then ConvertXtoDVD can convert that to DVD format, and it does supports .EVO files as well…

BTW, do you have ConvertX version 3??[/QUOTE]

Yep. I have version 3…