Blue ray dvd burner-which one!

vbimport

I’m interested in purchasing a BR Burner. I’m looking at a Plextor PX-B940SA-11 and the Liteon iHBS112. I’ve read your Reviews on this site & tend to lean toward the Plextor even though it is more money.

In the past, StormJumper has come to my aid as well as some others & so would like some feedback . Maybe there is another BR Burner even better than the above.

Also are the Verbatim Blue Ray discs -R a really good choice & have they come down in price where it is now reasonable to purchase them economically. Are there printable ones now available ?

What say you, StormJumper?

This question really belongs in our Blu ray Hardware, Software and Media forum, so I’m moving it in there.

Most of us would recommend the Pioneer 206 if it is within your budget. My second choice would be the LG WH10LS30K, which is considerably less expensive.

Use the regular, inorganic burning layer Verbatim disks, not the LTH variety. Here is an example: http://www.rima.com/prod/96769.html
There are other, cheaper brands, but Verbatim has proved to be fairly reliable so far.

Inkjet printable BD-R are available if you wish to pay extra for them.

I was actually wondering the same thing . . . thanks for the info Kerry.

Any feedback about the SONY NEC Optiarc BD-5300S? The Pioneer 206 is not available here :doh:

^Take a look at this thread Geno: http://club.myce.com/f142/sony-bwu-500s-12x-bluray-writer-out-october-315512/

That Optiarc is just another Lite-on clone.

Definitely go for a Pioneer BDR-205/S05/206/S06 if you want the best burner (by quite some margin).

PX-B940SA is in fact a Pioneer BDR-205 clone (an overpriced one with a Plextor badge on it).

The BD-5300S is a LiteOn clone, so I would avoid it.

As a last resort (and only as a last resort and if there’s no way whatsoever to get a Pioneer) I would go for an 10x or 12x LG drive (it is not in the same league as the Pioneer though), but I would first make every effort to get a Pioneer even if it means buying one from abroad or via eBay. BluRay media is expensive and the last thing you want is coasters due to a cheap(er) burner …

oooops :o:o Thanks Kerry :slight_smile:

Just another curiosity: is it possible to use a blu-ray burner for DVD scans?

Good to know about the Plextor PX-B940SA, [B]cvs[/B]. I haven’t been keeping up with Plextor rebadges in a very long time.

[QUOTE=geno888;2568842]
Just another curiosity: is it possible to use a blu-ray burner for DVD scans?[/QUOTE]

If it is a LiteON (or LiteOn clone) then yes of course you can. You can also use a Samsung or LiteON BluRay Combo drive to scan both BluRay & DVD discs.

[B]@Kerry56[/B]

Speaking by Plextor, their latest PX-LB950SA is a LiteOn clone :frowning:

I recently got the LG WH10LS30K and so far so good. No issues. I bought mine from Newegg for $79.99. I even bought some of the cheaper Blu-ray BD-R discs from Supermediastore.

Optical Quantum
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/optical-quantum-bd-r-25gb-4x-logo-on-top-blu-ray-recordable-single-layer-media-oqvbdr04lt-10-10pk

They also have them in printable for the same price.

Wyman

Thanks for the info re BR burners & Media. How would U rate the Ritek RiData Blu-Ray BD-R 25GB 4X White Inkjet - Hub Printable, 25-Pack ? Check this site- http://www.rima.com/prod/96769.html. Also, please look at this Amazon site & at the Pioneer BDR 206 Burners, first one at $116.93 and Item 3 on the same line for $169.69 and please tell me what the difference is, other than price. I confess the face of each drive is different but I believe they are both BDR206 Internal drives . I’'m wondering if it is a software package included with Item 3 or what. Anyone’s help would be appreciated.See the following site— http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=pioneer+bdr206&sprefix=pioneer+bdr206.

Ignore the higher priced ones at that Amazon link. They are the same 206 drive. Hard to determine if they are including any software with this drive buying from Amazon. If you want to watch commercially made blu ray movies through this drive, you’ll need a player for that. Cyberlink PowerDVD is usually included with drives these days. You might have luck using Media Player Classic HomeCinema instead, but I have never liked it for blu ray playback.

I recommend ImgBurn for any burning needs, and it is free.

By the way, your Rima link goes to some very nice quality Verbatim disks. Those are the type I use. I have avoided Ritek BD disks for some time now, though they are very popular at a few other sites I frequent.

[QUOTE=smileychgo;2568908]I recently got the LG WH10LS30K and so far so good. No issues. I bought mine from Newegg for $79.99. I even bought some of the cheaper Blu-ray BD-R discs from Supermediastore.

Optical Quantum
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/optical-quantum-bd-r-25gb-4x-logo-on-top-blu-ray-recordable-single-layer-media-oqvbdr04lt-10-10pk

They also have them in printable for the same price.

Wyman[/QUOTE]

Be careful there. I had the same LG 10x drive with those same media. When I first got the drive and media it burned fine. After half way in the spindle I started having burn issues. It would take forever for the burn to start and when it did it would drop down to 2x for the entire burn. Most of the time the burn would error half finished resulting in a wasted disc.

I tried another brand(Memorex) media and had different issues with those. I returned the drive for another one and it had the same problems. I tried 3 different firmwares with the same results.

I returned the LG 10x for a Pioneer 206 and havent had a single problem with both of those same media, same spindles.

Thanks guys for the info. Kerry56, you recommended the following on the Rima.com site–Verbatim Blu-Ray BD-R 25GB 4X Branded, 10-Pack (96769). I’ve always had great luck with the Verbatim DVD discs so I certainly will try the ones U recommended. Could U also point me to Verbatim Printable ones as I like to put pics on my DVD covers for some of our hunting & fishing trips, etc. I’m looking for" full face" printables but at a reasonable cost.

By the way,Kerry56, I have an ASUS B.RAY Reader , DVD-CD reader/writer in my newest computer now so I have CYBERLINK Power DVD which came with this Blue Ray drive. Is there any advantage to owning the Complete Cyberlink Power DVD 10 UltraPackage? AS I only had a Blue Ray Reader, I am now looking to purchase a high end B.RAY Writer as the prices have come way down. My Cyberlink BR Power DVD Suite Ultra Version is 7.3 which came with the ASUS drive. I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

[QUOTE=DMagic1;2569113]Be careful there. I had the same LG 10x drive with those same media. When I first got the drive and media it burned fine. After half way in the spindle I started having burn issues. It would take forever for the burn to start and when it did it would drop down to 2x for the entire burn. Most of the time the burn would error half finished resulting in a wasted disc.

I tried another brand(Memorex) media and had different issues with those. I returned the drive for another one and it had the same problems. I tried 3 different firmwares with the same results.

I returned the LG 10x for a Pioneer 206 and havent had a single problem with both of those same media, same spindles.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the warning. I think it’s too late to return my drive since it’s over 30 days when i bought it. If it craps out, I’ll get one of these Pioneer’s you guys are speaking of :iagree:

[QUOTE=PWANJO;2569159]Thanks guys for the info. Kerry56, you recommended the following on the Rima.com site–Verbatim Blu-Ray BD-R 25GB 4X Branded, 10-Pack (96769). I’ve always had great luck with the Verbatim DVD discs so I certainly will try the ones U recommended. Could U also point me to Verbatim Printable ones as I like to put pics on my DVD covers for some of our hunting & fishing trips, etc. I’m looking for" full face" printables but at a reasonable cost.

By the way,Kerry56, I have an ASUS B.RAY Reader , DVD-CD reader/writer in my newest computer now so I have CYBERLINK Power DVD which came with this Blue Ray drive. Is there any advantage to owning the Complete Cyberlink Power DVD 10 UltraPackage? AS I only had a Blue Ray Reader, I am now looking to purchase a high end B.RAY Writer as the prices have come way down. My Cyberlink BR Power DVD Suite Ultra Version is 7.3 which came with the ASUS drive. I would appreciate any feedback you might have.[/QUOTE]

The Verbatim hub printable disks do exist but not at what I would call a reasonable price. For example: http://www.rima.com/prod/97339.html If you want a low cost hub printable BD-R product, you’ll have to take your chances with the Ridata disks made by Ritek. http://www.rima.com/prod/1817.html

The packaged Cyberlink programs that come with drives tend to be slightly crippled. I know the one that came with my LG BD burner would not output in HD audio, only regular stereo. They do this sort of thing to encourage people to spend money on upgrades. I don’t really see a need to upgrade unless you plan on using the drive and that software in a home theater setup.

new to the game, havnt had to look for a burner since the pioneer 111 days (still running too, but the tray mechanism is hurt).

have been with pioneer burners since plextor started dumping quality releasing clones many years back.

anyway, after seeing these recommends i found this: http://www.pcrush.com/product/CD-DVD-Combo-Drives-Internal/668570/Pioneer-BDR-206-Blu-ray-Writer-Internal?refid=1238

ive only ordered from pcrush one time, and it was a while back, but they have like 2500+ google shopping reviews and score like 4.5/5. looks like a nice deal from what i can tell. they have the 206bks too, but from the description i cant see a different as to why its another 25$ more. still 12/2x and bdr/re… so whats the big diff? is it newer / better /stronger or something?

[QUOTE=Ugzz;2569965]anyway, after seeing these recommends i found this: http://www.pcrush.com/product/CD-DVD-Combo-Drives-Internal/668570/Pioneer-BDR-206-Blu-ray-Writer-Internal?refid=1238[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing price :eek: I can’t find the 206 at all here :doh:

italy huh… hrm. not sure which places ship overseas. I had some friends in the uk that had the same issue.

Even if a store can ship here, I’m worried that there will be a catch like customs taxes or something similar, so price will be prohibitive :doh: