Blu ray writer internal Pioneer or LG please help

Hello,

i am thinking of buying an internal sata blu ray writer for the first time.
Of course i would like to rip and burn blu rays.
The decision to be made is between:

LG BH16NS40 BLU-RAY RECORDER BLACK

and

PIONEER BDR-208DBK BLU-RAY RECORDER SATA BLACK BULK

what i do not know is if the LG has riplock, i would prefer it if there is a way of getting rid of it and it is able for lightscribe which is a nice option.

Prices are similar so which is the better buy for my needs- appreciate your help!:bow:

Kostas

Hello Kostas,

the LG is a good choice and doesn`t have a Riplock.

LightScribe, BD-XL, everything you need…

I am a Pioneer Fan( i own a 206 too), i bought this writer 6 Weeks ago because of the BD-XL Format and i`am really impressed.

Greetz Kirby :iagree:

Thanks. So wether the LG or the Pioneer they are both good. Have to google about this BD XL might be interesting.

Similar drives, the 208D is without BDXL (the retail has it), the LG has LS and MDisc support too.

thanks chef, so only the pioneer retail has bdxl, what is LS, md i have read about it. If so maybe the lg is the better choice if i can rip eg blu rays, dvds or cds without being to slow. The lg has no rip lock, has it?

Thank you for your time-

Kostas

here are some facts about the drives as they come bulk:

(PER.326714) PIONEER BDR-208DBK BLU-RAY RECORDER SATA BLACK BULK

Απολαύστε ζωντανές ταινίες υψηλής ευκρίνειας και δημιουργήστε το δικά σας δισκάκια, με υψηλή ταχύτητα ανάγνωσης blu-ray, με το νέο οπτικό drive της PIONEER.
Μοντέλο:BDR-208DBK
Διασύνδεση:Serial ATA
Υποστήριξη εγγραφής: BD:BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-R LTH, BD-RE, BD-RE DL, DVD: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, CD: CD-R, CD-RW
Υποστήριξη ανάγνωσης: BD: BD-ROM, BD-ROM DL, BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-R LTH, BD-RE, BD-RE DL. DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD-ROM DL, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM. CD CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW.
Ανάγνωση:BD-R: BD-R SL = 12x, BD-R DL = 8x, BD-R LTH = 8x BD-RE: BD-RE SL = 10x, BD-RE DL = 6x BD-ROM: BD-ROM SL = 12x, BD-ROM DL = 8x DVD-ROM (Single): 16x DVD-ROM (Dual): 12x DVD-R, DVD-RW: DVD-R = 16x, DVD-RW = 12x DVD+R, DVD+RW: DVD+R = 16x, DVD+RW = 12x CD-ROM : 40x CD-R: 40x CD-RW: 24x
Εγγραφή:BD-R: BD-R SL = 15x, BD-R DL = 14x, BD-R LTH = 8x, BD-RE: BD-RE SL/DL = 2x DVD-R:16x DVD – RW: 6x DVD + R: 16x DVD + RW: 8x DVD + R (Double Layer): 8x DVD - R (Double Layer): 8x CD – R: 40x CD – RW: 24x
Data Buffer:4MB
Διαστάσεις: 148 (Π) x 171.2 (Μ) x 42.3 (Υ)
Βάρος: 700 gr
Εγγύηση:2 χρόνια. DOA 7 ημερών

LG

(PER.330699) LG BH16NS40 BLU-RAY RECORDER BLACK

Απολαύστε ζωντανές ταινίες υψηλής ευκρίνειας με υψηλή ταχύτητα ανάγνωσης blu-ray 12x και αντιγραφής 16x , με το νέο οπτικό drive της LG.

Μέγιστη Ταχύτητα Ανάγνωσης: Hybrid CD:40x, CD-Extra:40x, Video CD:40x, Audio CD:40x, CD-ROM/XA:40x, Photo CD:40x, DVD+R/RW:16x, DVD Video:16x, M-DISC:, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-R/RW:, DVD-ROM:16x, BD-R:12x, BD-AV:12x, BD-ROM:12x, BD-RE:12x.
Μέγιστη Ταχύτητα Εγγραφής: CD-RW:24x, CD-R:48x, DVD-R:16x, DVD-RW:6x, DVD+RW:8x, DVD+R:16x, DVD Double Layer:8x, DVD-RAM:5x, BD-RE:12x, BD-RE Dual Layer:12x, BD-R Dual Layer:12x, BD-R:16x.
Μνήμη Buffer: 4MB.
Τοποθέτηση: SATA.
Διαστάσεις: 177 x 146 x 41 mm.
Βάρος: 738 g.
Συσκευασία: Bulk.
Εγγύηση: 2 χρόνια. DOA 7 ημερών

sorry some is in greek but technical terms are international i think!

hello thanks

Hello,

I own the Pioneer BDR208 and the LG BH16NS40.
Regarding the quality scans by now, I would ausolutely prefer the Pioneer BDR208.

Why?

The Pioneer beats the LG with standard burning speed with nearly every BR mediacode, BD-R25 and BD-R50 anyway!

With overspeed, I haven´t seen a single good scan from the LG BH16NS40 by now - I admit, I´m very demanding :bigsmile:.

The list of mediacodes the LG BH16 can burn in good quality with roll-out firmware is very short, and, as I said before, the Pioneer BDR208 beats the LG almost everytime.

The Pioneer BDR208 has taken over all good virtues of it´s predecessors and has apparently improved some writing strategies.

The LG BH16 instead is stocked with a new chipset LG has no experience with yet, the roll-out firmware seems to be in a Beta stadium!

Thanks Katraine,

maybe i would have chosen the pioneer but because of lack of replies i have made my decision and bought the LG.
As fare as now i am very satisfied with this blu ray burner, no problems at the moment. I have burned some platinum bd-r too fast in the beginning but when i changed to 4x recording speed for blu ray copie evrything is running fine, no riplock i think and fast and reliable for me.
Of course i can not give any technical results of the burning quality but the output works fine on my philips blu ray player.
I am a little bit dissapointed about the reaction time of this forum because i would have been happier with answers in time but anyway i am glad to have bought the LG because i had a couple of LG dvd writers and never had a problem with those. Maybe this thread is helpful to other people!