Blu-ray Volume Unique Keys leaked on the internet

you just killed my buzz with this.

what is your Asus drive? I only have the LG certified drive.

why would the drive matter?

Because an AACS 2.0 certified drive “hides” the AACS 2.0 info from regular applications, unless you’re a certified app like PowerDVD. But the UHD “friendly” drives let you see it with just a leaked AACS 1 host certificate. Or something like that.

The certified drives have a different host certificate. It’s a weird loop hole and I would jump on getting a ‘friendly’ drive before they try to close the hole with firmware.

The ASUS drive is the BW16D1HT.

perfect.

should be here tomorrow via Prime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can someone explain what exactly this leak will mean for us that wants to continue to rip our discs? Will there be patches coming now making it impossible to continue ripping or will those keys only affect the titles in the list?
This is all very confusing right now and i would appreciate if anyone with better knowledge can explain what this leak will mean for us.

For now, it means if you have a compatible drive, you can use MakeMKV to decrypt this specific list of discs. As long as you never upgrade the firmware on your drive, these discs will always be decryptable for you. If you upgrade the firmware on your drive, all bets are off (it may close the “certified” vs. “friendly” loop hole). In the future, whoever provided this list of keys may provide more, but there is no guarantee.

Exactly right. Get those ‘friendly’ drives while they’re hot folks!

WH16NS40 Ordered!

Can anyone confirm if my drive is just friendly? I’ve been trying to find the info. UH12NS40.

Also I’m not familiar with Doom9. Not looking for a direct link. Just some more direction that doesn’t land me in a bunch of viruses.

This is a good list to use: https://www.deuhd.ru/supported.html

No issues with MakeMKV on my BH16NS55 (Sata Connected), but my BU40N over USB3 throws a bunch of errors for the same discs as follows:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..03F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\natha/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_The_Hunger_Games.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Interesting. Is this a disc you know for sure works? I was having the same problem, but then @ccutrer set me straight on using only ‘friendly’ drives and not certified. I haven’t had an issue since.

Yup same disc works in the BH16NS55 (Sata Connected), but not the BU40N. Both drives work with DeUHD.

The BU40N is a “UHD official” drive. So that would explain why it does not work with MakeMKV but the BH16NS55 does. Now to rescan by discs with the BH16NS55 and see if a have any more that is supported.

1 Like

Thanks to the leaked keys I have 22 more discs to rip. I’m going to be busy.

Impressive. I had 1. I must just like unusual stuff? :wink:

The problem is I buy damn near everything. My wife thinks I have a problem. She might be right…

Case in point, I have 11 more titles coming Wednesday.

1 Like

So what’s the possibility of more keys getting leaked?

Should I read up on Doom9 as to how exactly to plug these keys into a database for use with Make MKV? Drive gets here Thursday…

Yup, she just might be…

There are zero promises, but given how many discs are in the initial dump, I’m anticipating more. MakeMKV has a FAQ on using volume keys on their website, but it’s pretty vague. I have a post further up detailing how to do it.