Blu-Ray to HDD then to AV Amp to TV in full 1080P with highest quality Audio

Hi All,

I seem to be buying more and more DVD’s to back up my originals! I then thought why dont I just rip all my DVD’s and Blu-Ray to a HDD then either use a Home Theatre PC to get it to my TV, or another method if anyone has a better ideas.

The problem is the Blu Ray discs, I can rip my discs to my External HDD no problem, but I don’t know the best way to get them to the TV keeping full resolution, and whatever the highest quality sound track they may have on that disc be it Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA. I currently have a Denon 4308A Amp/Receiver, plus a Denon 3800BD player and 7.1 Surround set up. I realise that putting my discs onto a HDD will kind of render the Denon 3800BD redundant.

I really want to get a system to do this, as I already have far too much clutter in my lounge!

Any advice would be most welcome,

SDM197.

It can be done with a good HTPC systems. What you need is

• Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processor
  • High end Video card with HDCP support
  • High end sound card with high def sound support, for example Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 ($200+)
  • A blu-ray burner
  • AnyDVD HD to rip the blu-ray content to your harddrive
  • PowerDVD to play it back

You can send the signal from HTPC to your AV system in 1080p with hidef sounds. You’re looking about $1000++

Cheaper solution is a media device for example Networked Media Tank or Popcorn Hour. Their latest A-110 model support HDMI 1.3 with passthrough Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Since your Denon AVR-4308 can decode internally so this can be an option. However I read in A-110 TrueHD is still buggy and not all DTS-HD MA is supported. Also using this device you won’t be able to see the entire features such as menu, PIP etc, since it will play single files (m2ts, ts etc) an not the “disc”. The Popcorn hour A-110 is around $220.