Blu-ray supporters disclose content of high definition discs

I just posted the article Blu-ray supporters disclose content of high definition discs.

On  Tuesday, backers for Blu-ray held a multimedia presentation for reporters to  show the versatility of the next gen disc. The article at the Investors.com website        says that they...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11190-Blu-ray-supporters-disclose-content-of-high-definition-discs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11190-Blu-ray-supporters-disclose-content-of-high-definition-discs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’d rather they scrapped ALL the extra crap and so called ‘bonus’ shovelware and just release FILMS. That’s all I want to watch a bloody FILM!! Not trawl through layers of menus and forced trailers and extra crap to get at what I actually paid for in the first place, the damn FILM!!! Looks like Blu-ray will hold more garbage, more tedious navigation and more forced trailers/adverts! At least I can choose not to support it :g

Content of Blu-ray Disc 99%DRM 1%Other

Looks like padding over substance. Who really would buy these to watch the movie in wide screen and then in normal? I think they haven’t thought this through, all the space, what to use it for? As said above, its going to be copy protection that’ll take up the majority of the disk, filler for most of the rest, and then the movie. Of course, it’ll probably be a crap movie as well. Good films are harder to come by nowadays.

Follow the SUPERBIT example. How about using it to maximize the picture quality, use the absolute highest bitrate possible, including uncompressed DTS audio tracks (haven’t seen that since Saving Private Ryan DTS, I believe), take as much space as possible for quality, use what’s left for extras. DVD Artifacts and MPEG compression still look bad in HD (I know because I work in industry and see it all the time - :r)

Unless a movie is actually shot in Hi-def video, there will be NO “Hi-def” movies anyway. All we’ll get is a remastered 720x480 that takes up a lot of space and doesn’t look any different than it would on a DVD. Has anyone thought to ask the DVD distributers when they plan to rebuild all their mastering rooms so they can transfer film to Hi-def video? Right now, all they have to put on these BD discs is more trailers and adverts and, of course, DRM protections.

The film masters are much higher resolution than 720x480. If a film is re-mastered at 1080i or 720p then it will have more detail than the DVD. But I watch a lot of HDTV shows and maybe my eyes are not so great, or my HDTV is junk but some of them are not really much better experience than good DVDs or XviD. The broadcasters have pulled the wool over our eyes for a long time by slowly lowering the quality of SD broadcasts - trying to cram more data in a smaller space by increasing the compression. We are all used to artifacting now that anything looks better. Now along comes HDTV which has all these promises and of course will look better. I download the odd show that we miss and play using XBMC - the quality of the XviD HD-rips blow away any SD broadcast. The television manufacturers are also to blame… the way they design televisions now, they are optimized for HDTV resolution and anything less looks blocky and bad. Most new HDTV sets give inferior PQ than older CRT technology - what is with it with all these crappy LCD RPTVs ? A friend just bought one and I think it looks like shit compared to my TV which is almost 5 years old! People are buying all these fancy HDTVs now and everyone looks pixelated, short and fat for most shows that are watched. When watching HDTV it would look fine, but many that hook DVD players up still do not realize how to get the aspect correct on 16x9 TVs… I see this all the time on floor demos in stores.

I’ve read movies done on film are sampled at 4000 lines, so they will look progressively better at 480p, 720p, and 1080p and beyond. Lets not forget to compare the price of DVD movies compared to the CD soundtracks for the movies. (Why does a sound track for a movie cost more then the movie?) DVDs are not cheap but they are not near the rip off that music is. And you freaks all know you will buy a HD-DVD set of lord of the rings and a HDtv if you have the money for it.

Because a lot of “HD-ready” TVs use very cheap, very outdated LCD or Plasma panels.

Most movies are sampled at 2k and that’s only slightly higher than 1080p so going beyond that is pointless with today’s movies. I read something about hologram discs that could store movies in higher resolution than blue-ray, hd-dvd which only sounds like a marketing thing. Ivid, I don’t work in the film industry, but were did you hear that saving private ryan has uncompressed DTS audio. To my knowledge the maximum bitrate used on DTS for 6-channel audio is the same as stereo uncompressed PCM. I don’t see how it would be possible to fit 6 uncompressed channels in the same space as 2 uncompressed channels. Blue-ray and HD-DVD supports the new lossless DTS and Dolby Digital compressions which I hope will be mandatory on Hi-Def discs.

as you know not all dvds are remastered well, so that there are tons of artifacts; i wonder how well the bd provides is remained to be seen i will think dvd9 provide enough space for hd contents however, bd & hd-dvd would be useful for studios to make single disk series like simpsons season 1 in one bd or hd-dvd if inphase will bring the price of drive + disk competive to hd-dvd & bd, i would go for holographic not to the blue laser disk

“The broadcasters have pulled the wool over our eyes for a long time by slowly lowering the quality of SD broadcasts - trying to cram more data in a smaller space by increasing the compression. We are all used to artifacting now that anything looks better. Now along comes HDTV which has all these promises and of course will look better. I download the odd show that we miss and play using XBMC - the quality of the XviD HD-rips blow away any SD broadcast.” This is not true for c-band satellite reception. Consumers that have abandoned c-band for the pizza dish can expect more degradation of signal from more and more channels being added. C-Band receives a first generation signal with SD looking quite close to HD quality. Consumers that continue to support the small dish with over compression will not be happy with the HD of the future. Look up “HD-Lite”.