Blu-ray subtitle issue with PS3

vbimport

Hello everyone,

Every time I make a blu-ray to blu-ray backup (down to BD9 720p) the subtitles are not displaying when playing the backup disk in the PS3.

The PS3 can read the subtitles from the original movie disk, but not from my backup disk… I can cycle through every subtitles languages that I backed up but none of them are getting displayed on the screen. The PS3 detects the subtitles but for some reason, can not display them.

When I tested my backup copy on my pc, using PowerDVD, the subtitles are displaying just fine. So it does look like only my PS3 can not read the subtitles.

Any ideas?

regards,
DoubleP

… judging by the lack of replies, I guess not a whole lot of people are suffering from this type of issue.

Maybe there is not that many blu-ray users out there yet…

[QUOTE=DoubleP;2531632]… judging by the lack of replies, I guess not a whole lot of people are suffering from this type of issue.

Maybe there is not that many blu-ray users out there yet…[/QUOTE]

Please give v7080 a try :wink:

[QUOTE=DoubleP;2531632]… judging by the lack of replies, I guess not a whole lot of people are suffering from this type of issue.

Maybe there is not that many blu-ray users out there yet…[/QUOTE]

Do what StormJumper mentioned and if that not work then try a Blu-ray player other than the PS3 as PS3 has issues with the playback of BD back ups. I myself have not bought a BD player yet or even a BD burner as all I have is a BD reader on my computer which I just bought the past 2 months. To rule out it being a PS3 issue you can try playing the back up in a BD player that is not a PS3 or computer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts AGJ… I will give a try to the latest version, as suggested by StormJumper.

I do not know anyone with a regular BD player… I was hoping someone from this audience would own one and be able to tell me how it behaved on their setup.

Like I said in my initial question, subtitles work fine on my pc… But I never got a chance to test a backed-up BD9 into a regular BD player…

Update on this particular issue: The latest version 7.0.9.0 still have the same problem but I picked a different BD9 compatibility setting.

This time I selected the “Create software player friendly AVCHD folder structure (with certificate folder)” and it worked!

The subtitles are working fine on a PS3 with this setting…

just wanted to let you guys know…

cheers!

Glad you got that sorted DoubleP and thanks for reporting back here as that solution is likely to help others.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Not a problem, hope this helps.

It was an interesting research from my point of view…

It looks like DVDFab converts Blu-ray to AVCHD in order to make the movie playable on a DVD disk.

AVCHD is a High Definition video format compatible with most Blu-ray players (especially Sony and Panasonic).

The PS3 reads AVCHD movies converted with the “Create restrict compatible AVCHD folder structure (without certificate folder)” option selected, but seems to work best with the second option: “Create software player compatible AVCHD folder structure (with certificate folder)”.