Blu-ray sales outside the U.S. a disappointment

vbimport

Blu-ray sales outside the U.S. a disappointment.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/06/4MsC7w.jpg[/newsimage]A new report from Screen Digest indicates the high-definition Blu-ray video format has struggled to gain marketshare outside of the United States, even with the worldwide popularity of Avatar.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/blu-ray-sales-outside-the-u-s-a-disappointment-30386/](http://www.myce.com/news/blu-ray-sales-outside-the-u-s-a-disappointment-30386/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wouldn’t describe Blu ray adoption in the US a great success either even if it is growing (at a glacial pace). Prices for the commercial movies, players, blank media and computer drives remain too high during this extended downturn in the economy.

Even blu ray rentals are more expensive than dvds. Keeping an eye on my local Hastings, they have yet to expand the blu ray section for rentals. There simply isn’t much demand for them, and that section has remained at less than 10% of the shelf space.

Blu ray is in real danger of becoming an also-ran to streaming video, both here in the US and in Europe.

Why do they always assume the reason for poor sales is the economy or prices. Maybe people aren’t buying into Blu-Ray because they don’t see enough advantage to warrant spending the money, and therefore they just don’t buy it?

[QUOTE=BradWright;2522639]Why do they always assume the reason for poor sales is the economy or prices. Maybe people aren’t buying into Blu-Ray because they don’t see enough advantage to warrant spending the money, and therefore they just don’t buy it?[/QUOTE]

“Furthermore, the picture quality of DVDs is still considered “good enough” for most EU viewers.”

[QUOTE=BradWright;2522639]Why do they always assume the reason for poor sales is the economy or prices. Maybe people aren’t buying into Blu-Ray because they don’t see enough advantage to warrant spending the money, and therefore they just don’t buy it?[/QUOTE]
I’m sorry, but your second sentence is in complete contrast to the second sentence.

I read it as: Poor sales due to high prices … high prices not justifying the better quality experience … ergo … not buying bluray due to high prices …

At any rate … stop cranking out so many DVD’s … create an artificial shortage, which will increase the price of DVD’s … people will move to bluray … prices of blurays will drop.

Still waiting for the general population to understand wtf bluray is … and what the difference is compared to a DVD.

I often hear in stores:: "Do you have XXmovie on bluray dvd?"
Salespeople: "Yes, we have xxmovie on DVD’s here neglect to point out that the store doesn’t have a large selection of Bluray movies"
Buyer wanders off content with his crappy DVD at BD price … not realising he/she has just been duped.

Hmmm … buyer beware :stuck_out_tongue:

Something I forgot to mention in the article but have wondered: How are HDTV prices over there? There has been a major price war here in the U.S. that has driven the cost of HDTVs down significantly compared to a couple of years ago. Has this happened in Europe as well?

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2522665]“Furthermore, the picture quality of DVDs is still considered “good enough” for most EU viewers.”[/QUOTE] Thanks. :slight_smile:

We have done the taste test and Blu Ray is a waste of money.

Blu-Ray movies that are actually filmed as Blu-Ray films are certainly higher definition than standard DVDs. However, If you have a HD television and a upconverting DVD player a DVD is quite good. So switching over to Blu-Ray becomes a price issue.

I purchased a Blu-Ray player, that was NetFlix enabled, and have been happy with it. I have not been as happy with the Blu-Ray discs on the market. Quite a number of the discs are simply old films on a Blu-Ray disc. The quality of some of the films is not any better than the original VHS tape that it was originally distributed on. I feel like I was gypped buying some of the titles on Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray burners have dropped below $150.00 ($139.00 at NewEgg.com) and have decent specs. The blanks are still a bit pricey but if you watch the sales you can get some decent buys on the 25 gig blanks. The Blu-Ray disc certainly makes backing up your computer easier. Extra data storage is also a big plus. Films on Blu-Ray discs are still a chore to copy and take quite a long time if you don’t have a quad-core or higher processor. Having said all of that I have to agree that the Blu-Ray discs may be a dead end. I have been experimenting with AVCHD compression and I BELIEVE that you can get just as good picture quality using a DVD blank. I can not tell the difference between the Blu-Ray disc or the AVCHD disc that I made.

[QUOTE=Vbritt;2522830]Blu-Ray movies … filmed as Blu-Ray …switching over to Blu-Ray … purchased a Blu-Ray player … not been as happy with the Blu-Ray discs … old films on a Blu-Ray disc … gypped buying some of the titles on Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray burners have dropped … The Blu-Ray disc certainly makes … Films on Blu-Ray discs are still a chore to copy … I have to agree that the Blu-Ray discs may be a dead end. … I can not tell the difference between the Blu-Ray disc or the AVCHD disc[/QUOTE]

Wow, you sure like the word “Blu-Ray”. FYI, it’s “Blu-ray”.

When the price premium for Blu-Ray players, media and movies goes away it will replace DVD. Simple as that.

[QUOTE=aargos;2522843]When the price premium for Blu-Ray players, media and movies goes away it will replace DVD. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

You did that on purpose.

I like [B][U][I]Blu-Ray[/I][/U][/B] :slight_smile:

Anyone that doesn’t appreciate [B][U][I]Blu-Ray[/I][/U][/B] over DVD is obviously blind, or is doing it wrong.

That said, I wouldn’t bother buying 1950’s movies on [B][U][I]Blu-Ray[/I][/U][/B], because they were sourced from crappy lo-def film that isn’t going to improve, no matter what they do with it.

All oversize [B][U][I]Blu-Ray[/I][/U][/B] in this message were by pure accident :iagree:

HDTV prices is a factor, for a Led 42" HDTV R29, 000 approx $2,900 in South Africa. And problems with incompatible BLU-Ray players add to people not buying Blu-Ray players.

I am disappointed at the quality of many new BD releases, and honestly cannot see any difference with a DVD movie upconverted to 1080p by a Bray player and played on my 1080p capable Epson home theatre LCD projector. Many regular DVD movies are so good played as above, that they defy the Bray version.

[QUOTE=arbort;2523038]I am disappointed at the quality of many new BD releases, and honestly cannot see any difference with a DVD movie upconverted to 1080p by a Bray player and played on my 1080p capable Epson home theatre LCD projector. Many regular DVD movies are so good played as above, that they defy the Bray version.[/QUOTE]

There is no difference between Blu-ray and DVD quality. I’m president of the Tinfoil Hat Society and I think it’s all done with smoke and mirrors. Keep your hard earned money for something more important, like food and shelter.

DukeNuken
Please tell me more of the Tinfoil Hat Society that you are president of.

Thank you for your comment. I spent quite a bit of money trying to back up blu-ray movies, like buying BD recorder, programming , BD 25 blanks and a lot of frustration when movies over about 23g are compressed or converted taking a lot of time and often crashing. I even upgraded my computer, though I dont regret that ending up with a more powerful machine for other purposes. Ieven build a new computer to be able to back up movies over 25g to a hardrive to play back on home theater.
All good experience but the end results are not any better than regular DVDs as I explained before, played back upconverted to 1080p on capable equipment. My efforts seem all futile. Again thank you for your comments

Thank you for your comment; I won’t buy any HDTV or Blu-Ray players at the current prices.

[QUOTE=arbort;2523038]I am disappointed at the quality of many new BD releases, and honestly cannot see any difference with a DVD movie upconverted to 1080p by a Bray player and played on my 1080p capable Epson home theatre LCD projector. Many regular DVD movies are so good played as above, that they defy the Bray version.[/QUOTE]
Many 1080p compatible projectors will accept a 1080p signal, but will actually downscale & project it at a lower resolution … what’s your projector model?

I got my BD player just after the news hit that HD-DVD was dead so I could continue to buy HD movies once the prices got real.
I had only about 10 movies in Blu ray until recently when everyone started selling fairly new good movies for 9 bucks each. I think in the last few weeks I probably got another 15 or so because the price finally justifies buying them, especially when you can get a first run movies for 20 bucks with the BD, DVD, and digital download all in one box.
Best part is my first gen Panasonic BD 10a plays every movie I feed it, though it loads very slowly, even Avatar:bigsmile:

I have no Blu ray player or projectors downloaded some blu ray movies and played them on my HD Pc-monitor the quality were good.