BLU-RAY Ripping & Burning

vbimport

I assume you have to have a Blu-Ray drive and Blu-Ray blank discs. Is it any different than ripping & burnig a standard DVD? I’ve already backed some of my standard DVD’S. What is a good software to use on Blu-Ray? Thanks

You have to have at least a bluray [I]reader[/I]. With that you can rip to the HD and burn to a DL or regular DVD with a regular dvd burner. The DL (BD9) burns come out terrific, I can’t tell from the original. These will still only play on a bluray player that accepts AVCHD format. To burn to a BD25 or BD50 bluray disc, you must have a bluray [I]burner[/I].

There are two good choices for ripping commercially made blu ray disks…AnyDVD HD and DVDFab with the Blu ray to Blu ray capability. Both have free trials for you to test the programs.

DVDFab has the ability to reduce the size of a blu ray movie to fit onto a 25gb blu ray disk, or even to a size that will fit on double or single layer dvds. Not all players can handle blu ray video on dvds however, so take that into consideration.

AnyDVD HD just decrypts and rips the movie to the hard drive. But if you need compression, you can use a free program called BD-Rebuilder. The results from BD-Rebuilder are excellent, and it too has the ability to compress to 25gb blu ray, or dvds.

You’ll find that approximately 2/3 of the commercially made movies will not fit onto a 25gb blu ray disk without compression, even if you do a movie only backup and don’t try to copy extras of any sort. This is a significant problem, since 50gb blu ray disks are extremely expensive.

I suggest using Verbatim blu ray blank disks as a “relatively” inexpensive choice. Don’t use their LTH disks that have organic dye unless you are absolutely certain your burner and your player support them. Better to use the Verbatim with inorganic writing layers, like these: http://www.rima.com/prod/96769.html

I also suggest using ImgBurn for the actual burning process. It is free to use.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2518386]This is a significant problem, since 50gb blu ray disks are extremely expensive.[/QUOTE]

$6-7 per disk is extremely expensive? It costs about $50-70 to fill the tank at the pump.

[QUOTE=toshik1;2518569]$6-7 per disk is extremely expensive? It costs about $50-70 to fill the tank at the pump.[/QUOTE]

True, but you only fill up 3 maybe 4 times a month . . . a spindle of 10-25 disks can get extremely expensive if you’ve got an extensive movie collection you want to backup.

A Blu-ray burner is required to burn Blu-ray discs. I own the Pioneer BDR-205 ($200 from newegg) and highly recommend it.

For ripping, the most frequently updated and current software is AnyDVD HD. It’s roughly $100 USD, depending on the exchange rate (sold in Euros). AnyDVD used to have a lifetime upgrades policy, but unfortunately they changed it to only a 2-year license. I managed to buy it right before their policy changed. I believe it’s something like 20% to renew it after the 2-year license expires. Every once in a while slysoft will run a promotion where there’s a discount and lifetime upgrades.

If you want to just do a 1:1 Blu-ray backup, you can burn the files ripped by AnyDVD HD with the free ImgBurn program. Quality BD-R single layer (Verbatim) run about $3.50/disc and quality BD-R DL (Sony, TDK) run about $8 if you buy them from Japan on ebay. Most 1:1 copies will require a BD-R DL.

If you want to shrink them to save money, you can run the files ripped by AnyDVD HD through the free BD Rebuilder program. On my Core 2 Quad 9650 (3.00 GHz), it takes 7 hours to shrink a double layer Blu-ray movie down to a single layer BD-R using the “two pass” method. You can use the “one pass” method and cut the time roughly in half, but there will be a slight hit in quality.

You can also use BD Rebuilder to shrink the movie down to a double layer DVD (BD-9). This only requires a Blu-ray READER, such as the LG UH10LS20 ($105 from newegg). Some forum members claim that a BD-9 movie is virtually indistinguishable from the original. If you want to watch the BD-9 on a standalone Blu-ray player, it must be burned in AVCHD format and the player must support AVCHD.

[QUOTE=toshik1;2518569]$6-7 per disk is extremely expensive? It costs about $50-70 to fill the tank at the pump.[/QUOTE]

When compared to 25-30 cents per disk for good quality single layer dvds, DL blu ray is extremely expensive per disk. Their capacity is roughly 10 times that of a single layer dvd, and their cost is at least 30 times that of the dvds. That rates as a huge jump per gb in my book.

The only DL Blu ray disks I would trust cost at least $10 per disk(including shipping). I certainly wouldn’t invest in the Ritek crap being produced in Taiwan.

And by the way @ Some Random Guy
AnyDVD HD is available with lifetime updates, you just have to pay more upfront. Cost at the moment (without discounts) is €109.

Well, I still do not beleive in rips and make 100% DL BD quality copies.

[QUOTE=toshik1;2518602]Well, I still do not beleive in rips and make 100% DL BD quality copies.[/QUOTE]

You don’t believe in them? You mean like you don’t believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? :stuck_out_tongue: Have you tried a regular DL burn to see what it looks like? With BDRebuilder, you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference in the movie only mode with DTS audio. If you want DTS-HD audio you need a BD25. Anyway, don’t be so rigid in your thinking. Experiment, you might find that some movies are just not worth blowing $10 for a full BD backup. In my estimation, not many movies are, though I did put Avatar on a BD-25. Turned out great.

Well it sounds like I’m the only one who sees the difference between DL DVD and DL BD on 50" screen:-)
You think that compressed video looks as good as BD - fine!

[QUOTE=toshik1;2518666]Well it sounds like I’m the only one who sees the difference between DL DVD and DL BD on 50" screen:-)
You think that compressed video looks as good as BD - fine![/QUOTE]

Well yes, most of them. But the point is that there aren’t too many movies out that are worth a $10-$20 BD50, you can buy some manufactured blurays for that price. In fact I got Avatar BD w/DVD also for $19 when it came out and there are regular deals at Target, Walmart and BB in the $10-$15 range. Why spend $10+ on a backup when there is always a chance of making a $10 coaster. And by the way, I have 50" & 40" displays in the house and the DL BD9 looks great on them.

Will someone give me the info on a BD25, BD 50 & DL9?

If You asking what BD25, BD 50 & DL9 means, here is the answer:

BD-25, regular, single layer (25GB) BD-R
BD-50, double layer (50GB) BD-R (also known as BD-R DL)
DVD9, double layer DVD (8.5GB) - also known as DVD+R DL

[QUOTE=ricoman;2518674]Well yes, most of them. But the point is that there aren’t too many movies out that are worth a $10-$20 BD50, you can buy some manufactured blurays for that price. In fact I got Avatar BD w/DVD also for $19 when it came out and there are regular deals at Target, Walmart and BB in the $10-$15 range. Why spend $10+ on a backup when there is always a chance of making a $10 coaster. And by the way, I have 50" & 40" displays in the house and the DL BD9 looks great on them.[/QUOTE]

The BD DL from Nikoneko Ya! are $7 a piece.
Walmart had “Avatar” for $19.99+tax
I also thought that DVD-9 looked great on 50" plasma, before comparing to BD :slight_smile:
DVD-5 (DVD SL) 4.7 Gb
DVD-9 (DVD DL) 8.5 Gb
BD SL 25Gb
BD DL 50 Gb

[QUOTE=toshik1;2518752]The BD DL from Nikoneko Ya! are $7 a piece.[/QUOTE]

I had never heard of them, so I just checked them out, the prices are better than I’ve seen elsewhere but I didn’t see any recognizable brands for $7, more like $10 if you buy 10 and the shipping is expensive, $16-$22 for a ten pack. A far cry from a DL Verb DVD9 for around a buck a pop. If you have that kind of money, fine, but I’m kinda cheap. I’ve had bluray movies for that price, try Intervideo, a pretty large selection and Amazon always has specials.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2518596]And by the way @ Some Random Guy
AnyDVD HD is available with lifetime updates, you just have to pay more upfront. Cost at the moment (without discounts) is €109.[/QUOTE]

Aah - good to know!

This whole debate about whether to 1:1 backup a Blu-ray (usually to a BD-R DL) or shrink it kind of reminds me of my own personal history of backing up DVDs.

From 2002 to December 2006, DVD+R DL were expensive. I put a few favorite movies, discs with 2 versions, discs with DTS tracks, or discs requiring compression of less than 50% on DVD+R DL, but for the most part I shrunk them to put on DVDR (single layer). Since I owned a CRT TV I could barely tell the difference.

When January 2007 rolled around, I knew I’d be getting a 1080p LCD soon, but couldn’t afford it just yet. Verbatim DVD+R DL were around $1.50/disc, which kind of sucked but was at least bearable. A 1:1 backup vs. a compressed backup was bound to make a bigger difference on a 1080p widescreen LCD than a 480i 4:3 tube TV. So I started doing 1:1 backups of all new movies.

In November 2007, I got my 1080p LCD, and continued doing 1:1 backups. About 6 months ago, I went back and made 1:1 copies of all the old ones. So, as of just recently, every backup I have is a 1:1 copy of the original.

Right now, BD-R DL are expensive, AKA $8 a pop. And the movie may appear the same on a BD-25 or even a BD-9 on say, a 50-inch plasma. But one day, you may get a 1080p projector with a 100-inch screen, or even a 4k projector. When that happens, BD-50 vs. BD-25 vs. BD-9 is bound to make a bigger difference. At that point, you have to decide whether to just stick with your lower-bitrate backup or go through the arduous task or re-backing them up to BD-50.

So far, I’ve made backups of several BD-ROM SL movies to BD-R SL. And I’ve made backups of a few BD-ROM DL movies to BD-R DL, aka Avatar. But for the other Blu-ray movies, I have just the original with no backup. So far, I’ve refused to make a shrunk backup copy of a Blu-ray movie, just because I don’t want to have to one day decide whether I want to “retro-fit” my collection again.

I understand and partly agree, I guess it’s just a matter of personal choice. In the future I expect BD blanks to come down in price so if “future technology” brings us to a point where it makes a difference, I still have the original, I’ll back it up to BD then. But I’ll worry about that in a few years, who knows Bluray may be defunct by then and we’ll have a new format to worry about. :bigsmile: