Blu-ray player without DVD support?

Hey there, this might sound weird.
But Im wondering about the Blu-ray players technology.
Is it possible they will release a blu-ray player without DVD support?
Or do the blu-ray players work in a way that they will always support DVD?
This is meant as a pure technological question, not practical. I realize its very unlikely they will remove DVD playback considering how much DVD’s are sold.

But if they ever do drop DVD support years and years in the future, it would be comforting to know that a blu-ray player will always support DVD cause of the way its made. And not being by choice.

Thanks.

It’s possible but not likely at the moment IMO unless some very high end audiophile equipment manufacturer decides to sacrifice extraneous circuitry for performance reasons.

At best though this is just a guess as you never know what will turn up in the longer term.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Well, DVD and Bluray are different - different wavelength laser, different numerical aperture and different focus depth. They could get rid of the red laser to save a few bucks …

Software wise, the data structure is different between DVD and Bluray - MPEG-2 is common, but AVC and VC-1 isn’t. Neither is BD-J.

A bluray player is quite a lot more demanding in terms of processing power. Because the processing power is there, only software has to be written to take support for DVD. Likely - as it is now - red lasers are in such high rates of production that it would only be a few dollars more to add a red laser on - and tweak the firmware to support it. It would currently be “unwise” in terms of the market to release a bluray-only player. In the future it might be possible, but then again, as I said - it would be fairly easy to make it backwards compatible … so I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Just as a side note - you’ll see most DVD players can play CD’s - it is only a little software support and tweaking that they have to do to make it happen. Likewise, most modern CD/DVD players actually have two lasers as well. Earlier DVD players used one laser to try and read both CD and DVD but the problem was that the DVD laser wasn’t reflecting well off the burnt discs causing poor readback - it was initially a technical and cost saving measure - but things got so cheap that even a very lowly DVD player has two lasers in it. Not even the cheapest DVD player that I can buy won’t have CD support.

It’s always nice to put a few more words on the box when you’re trying to sell something. So if my crystal ball says correctly - backwards compatibility to CD should be around for as long as we evolve storage media which are all 12cm in diameter with the same hole in the middle, with the same sort of thickness.

I see, thank you. Exactly what I was wondering.
Very informative post.

Different technologies were combined to save co$t$… that is the real reason.

[QUOTE=screwed;2305713]

[B]But if they ever do drop DVD support [/B]years and years in the future, it would be comforting to know that a blu-ray player will always support DVD cause of the way its made. And not being by choice.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

a new format will replace Blu-ray, before DVD dies. DVD will stay here just like CD for much longer then Blu-ray

I guess it’s unfortunate many think Bluray is DOA - because I quite like Bluray at the moment. There’s nothing else out there in the immediate time that I would use. Unfortunately with the ever growing size of hard disks and network connections, by the time bluray is cheap - it is entirely possible that it’s easier to pass around 32Gb SDHC cards :wink: or just to zip it over a network link.

Maybe one day the fabled holographic disc will be consumer-accessible - and then maybe DVD and CD support might not be around then because holographic disc uses the spatial interference of two focussed laser beams rather than the reflective method that CDs, DVDs and Blurays use. Because of the different readout method, there’s a possibility if holographic storage became mainstream, then backwards compatibility may be a problem. However, if they decide to integrate the good old red and blue laser and a reflected laser light detector as well, then they can keep backwards compatibility at the cost of expense and complexity (and maybe weight) of the pick-up head.

But remember - nothing is certain in regards to the future. None of us would be able to “technically” give you a reassurance that something will or won’t happen. It’s just in my technical view that provided the discs follow similar mechanical constraints, and similar readback mechanisms that there is no real reason for a manufacturer to deliberately discontinue backwards compatibility.