Blu-ray player sales fell in February and now struggle

vbimport

I just posted the article Blu-ray player sales fell in February and now struggle.

It looks like the death of the HD DVD format did not boost Blu-ray player sales after all, going by Blu-ray sales figures from the NPD Group. Another problem for Blu-ray is that a report from…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14588-Blu-ray-player-sales-fell-in-February-and-now-struggle.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14588-Blu-ray-player-sales-fell-in-February-and-now-struggle.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is terrible news. Just terrible.

I’m shocked. /sarcasm Maybe they need to make the format more expensive and complicate it with more DRM restrictions? Possibly a new profile number would help with something even more cool like this time with the directors comments and picture in picture… :wink:

can you post more great news like this more often as it is music to my ears when s$ny one of the big boys in death ray are losing money role on holographic players and content just wish hd could have held on for longer :frowning:

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! The worse Shit-ray does the better I feel. Hopefully it will die soon and allow for holographic discs to take hold and usher in a truly new era of HD movie discs.

Wow… I didnt see that coming… :wink:

January sales are still high from post-Christmas shoppers. The lull of Feb and March is not unusual for any retail item, and it is ridiculous to try to parlay it into some statement of doom.

No, Will, don’t say those things. Even if they make perfect sense, why deny a bit of reprieve for the poor anti-Sony squad? After their precious HD-DVD was crushed by their uber hated Blu-Ray, these days they need something, anything, not to feel so miserable. :X

Haha, I’d rather download whatever I want than give my dollars to Sony or any other member of the Death-Ray forum. The reason is not HD-DVD going the way of the dodo, it’s the inconvenient DRM, the neverending stream of profiles and the non-upgradable players. It’s an expensive POS. Piracy - Simply the better choice ™©® :d

@JohnZap; “After their precious HD-DVD was crushed by their uber hated Blu-Ray, these days they need something, anything, not to feel so miserable.” Believe me, we are no way near as miserable as you Flu-ray chaps… Im sure you guys enjoy spending $400 to purchase players each time the profiles change…

"it’s the inconvenient DRM, the neverending stream of profiles and the non-upgradable players. It’s an expensive POS. Piracy - Simply the better choice ™©® :d " I love the slogan! :B

DRM isn’t too bad if you’re just buying and playing discs. Its only bad if you’re trying to copy it (or play it back off your PC). Obviously the fact that the ps3 is cheaper than most standalone players, means most people looking for bluray aren’t buying standalones. Standalones can’t be upgraded, they can’t play games, but for the same price you can get a full fledged gaming console as an extra bonus. They’ve got to drop the prices on standalones… so at least they’ll standout from the ps3.

Blu-ray doesn’t appeal to the majority of consumers because they don’t need it. These people are perfectly content with DVD and see no motivation to change.

@ Will “The lull of Feb and March is not unusual for any retail item, and it is ridiculous to try to parlay it into some statement of doom.” Believe whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. @ johnzap Dude, it’s HD DVD, not HD-DVD. At least get that part right. @ Malfoo “Piracy. Simply the better choice.” Hmm… we’re going to need a catchy jingle for that.

@ Hypnosys4U2NV “Believe me, we are no way near as miserable as you Flu-ray chaps… Im sure you guys enjoy spending $400 to purchase players each time the profiles change…” Nah, you got it all wrong. I don’t care at all about Blu-Ray. Could care less if it fails. Certainly will not buy it (well, maybe in some distant future if I ever buy a PS3). I just find it very funny to watch you anti-Sony mob try to find something, anything, to help you go through the utter disappointment of HDDVD’s failure. On the other hand, it seems that you continue on the “standalone Blu-Ray player” path. Give it up, guys. It’s more than obvious that most people are looking at the PS3 as their choice for Blu-Ray player. It just makes sense. You said it all: why spend 400$ when you can spend the same amount and also get a nextgen gaming console which is also upgradeable to whatever new Blu-ray profiles they think about next? So this bears the question: why do you continue on this irrational path??? What is important is not what the standalone Blu-Ray player sales are. What is important is how many Blu-Ray discs are finding its way to people’s homes. That is what will make or break the format, not standalone player sales. Got it? :X
This message was edited at: 03-05-2008 13:23

The PS3 is an awesome Blu player but still lacking: No native output for DTS HD Master (it’s LPCM thru HDMI) and no region-free solution, nor are back-ups usable. So there we go to Flu mistake #x: Regions, I mean WTF? Seriously. Get over it! It’s the same display format fer cheesecake… With some luck the media industry will turn desperate and more hacks will surface. Til then: Piracy - Better Choice :S

@JohnZap; HD DVD’s “utter disappointment” was brought about by Sony and the Studios whose pockets they lined with green… It was never a consumers choice to choose Flu-Ray, which clearly didnt earn any awards for being the “better” choice of the two formats… Say what you want about us anti-Sony mobs (which there is a quite large number of us BTW), its fact and it has been proven time and time again, Sony doesnt care about the consumer… Its amazing that even your own comments prove how pathetic this format is… Your willing to buy a video game console to play flu-ray instead of a standalone because it costs the same and allows you to play games… I wonder why? Maybe Sony whats to force this format on consumers the same way they forced other formats like ATRAC, Memory Stick and the ever-so-popular-with-consumers rootkits on us… Maybe they also want you to have a video game system in your home so that you buy a game or two for it… Its easy for them to do this since they take a hit on the cost to produce and make the money back when you buy the games… Standalone player manufactuers cant slash prices since they dont make any money on the movies sold… If you dont really care about Flu-Ray’s future, your comments sure say the opposite…

Well if someone really relies on a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player he should remember how the PS2 lasted quite a short time as a DVD player… as the laser they used in the early PS2’s was a catastrophe. I just WISH the same won’t happen to those PS3 owners. The real reason why so many people went to Xbox or chose the Xbox360 was the dying PS2’s, and well the PS2’s weakest part has always been its laser. Sad to say, but a standalone has a much better laser than a PS2/PS3. So why go for an instable game console as a BluRay player ? Just because it is so “cheap” ? I’d rather wait a few years to see how BluRay develops, and how cheap the standalone players will be and then say a final verdict on that. The BluRay stuff and $ony itself are bad enough for me not to rush and spend my bucks on those. Not to mention the studios themselves that were bought by $ony.

@Hypnosis4U2NV “If you dont really care about Flu-Ray’s future, your comments sure say the opposite…” Believe what you wish to believe. The truth is what I stated. Over here I have 2 1st gen DVD uber cheap players, 2 xbox which are primarily used to run XBMC and, most likely, a Popcorn Hour is on it’s way for HD content. Unfortunately the amazing XBMC is not able to play much HD found nowadays; for anyone reading this: it does play 720p MPEG-2 though, with bitrates at least on the 8Mbps range. Find an appropriate program (e.g. Gotsent), convert .mkv to MPEG-2 and you’ll hardly notice any quality degradation and it will play on XBMC (use the DVDPlayer, not mplayer, for best results). Again, the sole reason I post here is because I find it utterly amusing to watch you anti-Sony mob desperate to see Blu-ray fail. Nothin more, nothing else. Sometimes I try to send some friendly advise so that you guys don’t end up so disappointed in the end. I did warn you, many months ago, that it was very likely that HDDVD would fail (who cares what the reasons were, the writing was on the wall), that the PS3 would be the reason Blu-Ray would kill HDDVD, etc. You try to hold on to something not to see what really will happen. That’s your problem, I guess. I also find that most of your comments are not very logical and are being proven wrong time and time again. It just increases the amusement factor. :X

@ johnzap “that the PS3 would be the reason Blu-Ray would kill HDDVD” Dude, where have you been? HD DVD died because Sony paid the studios off. The consumers had very little choice in the matter. BTW, your comments are very entertaining to me as well. I’ve long supported people with special needs. You hang in there, sunshine. :+