Blu-ray Player Prices Hit 2008 Highs As Competition Dwindles

vbimport

Pricewatch - Blu-ray Disc players from Samsung, Sony and Sharp are now the most expensive they have been all year, presumably because HD DVD’s exit from the high-def disc arena has removed some of Blu-ray’s pricing pressure.

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/12/blu_ray_player_prices_hit_2008_highs_as_competition_dwindles/

:cool::cool:

Yup, I pointed that out a few days ago to some Blu-Ray zealot on amazon who tried to claim that Blu-Ray prices still hadn’t gone up. I gave him some examples and he tried to claim that it was just “holiday pricing” and just recently I gave him more recent examples and he still hasn’t responded back after 6 days now.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2018337]Yup, I pointed that out a few days ago to some Blu-Ray zealot on amazon who tried to claim that Blu-Ray prices still hadn’t gone up. I gave him some examples and he tried to claim that it was just “holiday pricing” and just recently I gave him more recent examples and he still hasn’t responded back after 6 days now.[/QUOTE]

I hope you weren’t up too late those nights you were providing the examples.

http://xkcd.com/386/ :):stuck_out_tongue:

Comparing holiday price in Nov/Dec to off season price today, what a great analysis, tomshardware!

Price is always down during peak season and up during Feb/March. Wait until people get tax return in April, and wait for holiday season, then compare full 1year prices.

But if US economy keep plunging, who knows…

[QUOTE=bourned;2018421]what a great analysis, tomshardware!

[/QUOTE]

The stat’s are from Pricegrabber, not Tom’s Hardware.

[QUOTE=bourned;2018421]Comparing holiday price in Nov/Dec to off season price today, what a great analysis, tomshardware!

Price is always down during peak season and up during Feb/March. Wait until people get tax return in April, and wait for holiday season, then compare full 1year prices.

But if US economy keep plunging, who knows…[/QUOTE]

Prices have risen in February and March as well. Either way, the fact doesn’t change that Blu-Ray cannot afford to have prices go up right now as they really need to be pushing this format if they want it to succeed. If something doesn’t change drastically in the next few months they can definitely find themselves in the same position as HD-DVD by the end of 2009.

Ok I Know I have said it before but I believe the PS3 was the primary
Reason for the Downfall of HD-DVD.

With that said now Rental Sites such as Blockbuster and Netflix as well as
local Video Stores Renting only Blue-Ray. Why would I want to go out and pay
for a expensive title unless it was a Movie I would watch many times.

That would be just stupid.

I’ll stick with my HD Player I already have a Great collection at low prices.
And for movies not on HD even though it is a Good Upconverter, I’ll just use
my OPPO Dvd Player to watch and upconvert regular dvd’s.

I believe something better will come out before Before Blue Ray Drops there
prices low enough for me to get one.

Yup and that is the problem here. Blu-Ray really needs to be aggressively marketing both HDTVs and Blu-Ray technology at competitive prices to make it really take hold before it gets replaced by something better and more cost effective.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2022677]Yup and that is the problem here. Blu-Ray really needs to be aggressively marketing both HDTVs and Blu-Ray technology at competitive prices to make it really take hold before it gets replaced by something better and more cost effective.[/QUOTE]

I think the assumption made by Sony and the BD group is that THEY will control what the next format is. They may be right, the days of any real competition may be over unless the movie studios jump the BD ship.

GEEE, who’d have thunk it. The prices are going up now that there’s no competition. I finally bought 5 BD titles because I either had a 10 off coupon or they were BOGO.
Guess I was lucky to get a Demo Panasonic bdp-10a cheap as well at this rate for 160 to go with my 100 A2.
Yup, if they don’t start dropping prices they wont get much more market share. I can buy a bunch of recent DVD movies this week for $3.99 each.

[quote=platinumsword;2018665]The stat’s are from Pricegrabber, not Tom’s Hardware.

:cool::cool:[/quote]Pricegrabber, it’s even worst since it doesnt capture all reliable sellers. The table on Toms Hardware showing Sony BDP-S300 raised to $403, woah!

The MSRP of the Sony is only $399 and if you check Sony’s authorized reseller eq Best Buy, Crutchfield, Circuit City, etc they are constantly selling it for $399. How in the world they get $403???

Tax or shipping added maybe? Either way the issue is not so much the retail pricing such as the fact that finding them in a more cost effective manner are non-existent (ie amazon).

[QUOTE=bourned;2022891]Pricegrabber, it’s even worst since it doesnt capture all reliable sellers. The table on Toms Hardware showing Sony BDP-S300 raised to $403, woah!

The MSRP of the Sony is only $399 and if you check Sony’s authorized reseller eq Best Buy, Crutchfield, Circuit City, etc they are constantly selling it for $399. How in the world they get $403???[/QUOTE]

Remember that’s a suggested price, not an absolute. I would assume that the price of $403 is an average.

Try buying any current BD player, best they seem to do is take 30 bucks off and call it a sale price. Only way to get a cheap one is to buy a demo/open box first gen player like I did and it still was 70 bucks more then my final spec A-2.
The video and audio quality is no better then my HD player and the movies are mostly staying at 30 bucks each at the stores, online for many still doesn’t count. To top that off I just watched 3:10 to Yuma and I must of had to skip through like 8 movie trailers just to get to the play movie screen:a
It wouldn’t let me just skip right to the menu.
The movie did look an sound great though once it finally let me watch it and it is a good story. I think I’m gonna blow some of my tax rebate on a BD burner just to get rid of this crap…

Yup, I think that is the way I am going to have to go about it as well. Unfortunately my PC is gonna need some serious upgrades before I can do all that.