Blu-ray playback tests with AunPlayer

vbimport

Welcome to the AunPlayer test thread. This is the third in a series of tests I’ve conducted for Blu-ray playback using some of the lesser known software players that supposedly have support for commercial discs, as well as menu support. The earlier tests were done with Leawo Media Player and DVDFab Media Player.

AunPlayer is a bit different in that it is completely free to download and use. The AunPlayer is still in beta status, which is obvious once you start trying to use it. Thanks to philamber for letting us know about this player.

I downloaded the latest beta from the AunPlayer site: http://www.aunplayer.com/ Installation went smoothly into Windows 8.1.

The first Blu-ray movie I tried is the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven. This is an older title, encoded with Mpeg2, and has been the easiest of my Blu-ray movies to play in various players. The AunPlayer could not find the menu. It only played the FBI warning, then the entire program froze up with a warning message in Chinese. This was not an auspicious start.

The second one I attempted has also been an easy one to play. This is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. The AunPlayer does start playing the initial trailers, and commentary, but then shuts down without getting to the menu.

Blade Runner (Final Cut) was the next one up, and again, the AunPlayer could not find the menu. It did start playing the main movie, but you could not access the top menu once the movie started. And playback from the disc was terrible. It froze up on virtually every action sequence I played.

And the last commercial disc I tried was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. This disc seems to give more problems than any other I have, and the AunPlayer was not immune. It starts the main movie and ignores the menu, but the playback freezes quite often. And it is impossible to turn off subtitles.

So I moved on to ripped Blu-ray from the hard drive for the second phase of testing.

[I]Letters from Iwo Jima[/I]…no menu, but playback was smooth. Moving forward or back by chapters worked ok.

[I]Europa Report[/I]…no menu, and subtitles could not be turned off.

[I]Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/I] (US version) This movie started in the middle. The only way I could get it to start at the correct spot was to jump backwards by chapters. Of course you could not get into the menu.

[I]War Horse[/I] The menu is ignored here as well, as it jumps to the main movie. I could not turn off subtitles in this one either.

Playback on ripped Blu-ray was considerably better than from any of the discs I tried. So the player does work for Blu-ray, it just doesn’t work for menus that I could see.

There are many oddities about the player. The instructions on the AunPlayer site show some controls at the top left of the main window, where you can adjust Preferences: http://www.aunplayer.com/how-to-use-aunplayer/ These controls do not exist in the beta that I have.

There are no controls for fast forward or reverse, only by chapter points. And the controls that are available, for menus and streams within the movie do not always work. It is possible to change subtitle streams for example, but you cannot turn them off entirely.

My conclusion is that this player is probably not ready to be called a beta release, this is more like an alpha, and no one could rely on it as their main program for playing Blu-ray. The programmers of this player have got a lot of work ahead of them if they are serious about making this thing work.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2717220]There are many oddities about the player. The instructions on the AunPlayer site show some controls at the top left of the main window, where you can adjust Preferences: http://www.aunplayer.com/how-to-use-aunplayer/ These controls do not exist in the beta that I have.

There are no controls for fast forward or reverse, only by chapter points. And the controls that are available, for menus and streams within the movie do not always work. It is possible to change subtitle streams for example, but you cannot turn them off entirely.

My conclusion is that this player is probably not ready to be called a beta release, this is more like an alpha, and no one could rely on it as their main program for playing Blu-ray. The programmers of this player have got a lot of work ahead of them if they are serious about making this thing work.[/QUOTE]
I’ve had better luck with the program than you have so far in that I haven’t encountered a disc that it couldn’t play (albeit in a number of cases with a fair amount of “fiddling”; see below) but I agree that there are many bugs and other oddities.

As you’ve noticed, it isn’t possible to turn off subtitles altogether when playing blu-ray content though they can be turned off when playing dvd content (from disc or hard drive folder).

Usually, though not always, the program will find and play the correct title (i.e. the main movie). If it gets it wrong, you can change the title stream being played by a right click on the display to access the title information and change the title being played.

However, frequently you will have to click to change the title and then redo it (even though the changed title is already displayed) before the program will make the change; same applies to changing the subtitle stream (i.e. you usually have to do it twice; and I suspect that that may be the case with all of the in movie controls).

Another bug that you’ve noted is in playing ripped blu-ray content in that the program will often start in the middle of the movie. If you back it up a chapter, then close and restart the program and then reload the folder, it will then usually start where it’s supposed to (i.e. the beginning).

There is no doubt that, at its current state of development, the program is buggy, but, if you can get it to work for you, it is a free alternative and loads significantly faster than any of the commercial players.