Blu-ray outselling DVD in Japan

vbimport

I just posted the article Blu-ray outselling DVD in Japan.

For the first time in its history high-def disc format Blu-ray outsells its older brother DVD. Sales data from the Japanese Amazon.com shows that Sony Pictures’ Resident Evil Trilogy Boxset was the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14801-Blu-ray-outselling-DVD-in-Japan.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14801-Blu-ray-outselling-DVD-in-Japan.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Probably because the people who bought it on Blu-ray already own all 3 discs individually on DVD so why would people rebuy them on DVD? If I owned all the Mission Impossible movies on DVD why would I turn around and buy the DVD boxset of it? This information is only worthwhile on a new release.
This message was edited at: 30-06-2008 18:18

Is this in quantity sold or profits? Since Blu-Ray discs are obviously more expensive than DVDs.

“Blu-ray outselling DVD in Japan” this is a bit of a deceptive title for the article i think. Are all Blu-ray discs outselling all DVD’s? I think this trilogy would be great in HD though.

Since when do Japanese electronics trends ever represent what the world will do or even want?

Hey, do they sell BD cheaper in Japan than here in the US? JohnnyJT :X South Philly

@Cubeman: “Since when do Japanese electronics trends ever represent what the world will do or even want?” Not likely but there’s no economic recession in Japan that’s probably why. @Ryan: “Since Blu-Ray discs are obviously more expensive than DVDs.” Not that “more expensive” anymore now. MSRP still yes, e.q. $29.99 vs $39.99. But go to Amazon etc you will get insignifcantly less. Or at Costco if you’re in the US. Son wanted to watch National Treasure 2 Book of Secrets. Went to Costco and saw both DVD and Blu-ray version. DVD 2-Disc Collecter Edition = $23.89, Blu-ray = $25.99. For only $2 more (half gallon of gas :stuck_out_tongue: ), no brainer for me, picked up the Blu-ray. But just to make sure, I checked both DVD and Blu-ray back side to see their extra features. All features in 2nd disc DVD are in Blu-ray. :X