Blu-ray & HD DVD replication & setup fees compared

vbimport

I just posted the article Blu-ray & HD DVD replication & setup fees compared.

When it comes to replicating high definition content, there has been quite a lot of publicity about Blu-ray costing a lot more than HD DVD to replicate in bulk, mainly put down to Blu-ray’s…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12987-Blu-ray--HD-DVD-replication--setup-fees-compared.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12987-Blu-ray--HD-DVD-replication--setup-fees-compared.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well… taking into consideration that most HD-DVD and BluRay disks have more or less 12-15 GB so… dual layer HD-DVDs aren’t usually needed either way.

Umm… MOST HDDVD movies are on HDDVD DL… I don’t know where you’re getting those numbers from.

Yes they are needed, they should be dual or triple layer minimum. The less compression the better. I have Sky Captain HD DVD and I am appauled at the compression artifacts in certain parts throughout the film and I do believe it was one of the early releases on 15 GB. I think it would have looked better had they compressed it to a larger file in dual format. HD DVD uses VC1, basically WM9 codec, and some movies have a “WM9” kind of compression (see WM9 HD IMAX trailers to see what I mean)

most HD-DVD’s that have been released are dual layer, they are typically 20gb, they range from 12gb (kiss kiss bang bang) - 27gb (king kong). the average size is about 20gb.

With those numbers, an average size of >20Gb for HD film content, and BD players prices falling near HD-DVD ones, HD-DVD is getting into a dead en road by days. Price, with is the main advantage that claims HD-DVD supporters, is gradually loosing sense for both final users and companies.

With those numbers, an average size of >20Gb for HD film content, and BD players prices falling near HD-DVD ones, HD-DVD is getting into a dead en road by days. Price, with is the main advantage that claims HD-DVD supporters, is gradually loosing sense for both final users and companies.

Ahah, so the price falacy is finally revealed. In real world situations HD-DVD has no cost advantage over Blu-Ray. What does HD-DVD have going for it, after all? It looks more and more likely that Blu-Ray will win it. And maybe it will not take a very long time…

I love this information! Fantastic! Ever since CES a month ago the public has really started to see that blu-ray is the real next gen standard. These numbers just help confirm. :X