Blu Ray Equipment

I know nothing about Blu Ray ,other than it has a great picture. What equiptment is needed to copy and play back, I;m sure you need a Blu Ray dvd drive, do you also need a Blu Ray Dvd player also or can it be played back with a regular stand alone?

I would wait if i was you and not jump in just yet.

You will need a Blu-ray drive and software player to play back on your system. You might have to do some system upgrades in order to be Hi-Def ready. You can go to Cyberlink.com and download their Hi-Def advisor and run it and see what you might need to do.

• A fast Core2Duo PC
  • Blu-ray drive for PC ($200-400)
  • Blu-ray blank BD-R ($10 each), BD-RE(writable) $15 each.

Given the price, no need to copy and playback. Just watch from the original disc. But if you’re planning to pool the movie in your HTPC, add terrabytes harddrive.

I;m sure you need a Blu Ray dvd drive

Yes

do you also need a Blu Ray Dvd player also
Yes, to watch on your HDTV, or “no” if you stream from your HTPC.

or can it be played back with a regular stand alone?
Standard DVD player? No.

Any word on BD media quality testing becoming available in PC drives ? Perhaps with the next generation of drives, or is it several generations ahead ?

I think its reality with the Liteon BD-ROM.

It doesn’t look like the scans are reliable and there are also problems reported with scanning. I don’t know if it’s firmware or hardware related but I wouldn’t trust that to scan my discs.

So any certain news of how scanning abilities will evolve over the next generations of drives (and possible disc standards) ?