Blu ray DTS Master HD audio issues again

vbimport

Come in, come in and make yourself comfortable. This may take a while.

Seems I’m at it again, converting blu ray to dvd, this time with the last of the Harry Potter films. Remind me again why it isn’t worth $5 more for the version that comes with a dvd when I get to the end of this tale.

So, I need a dvd-video version of my new blu ray, so that my sister can watch it. Starting off with AVStoDVD, I get a wonderful copy of the video stream using HCenc. Really, the quality of the video is quite good going to a DVD-9 size. But the DTS Master HD audio proves to be too much for AVStoDVD. It basically hangs in mid conversion, after giving me a warning message and attempting to convert the audio anyway. I have to shut it down after an hour of futility and only a very small amount done. I had AVStoDVD set to use Aften, but it switched on its own to ffmpeg.

Oh, and by the way, all the original ac3 files on the blu ray are foreign languages, so completely useless for me.

Well, 4hrs of encoding wasn’t wasted. I do have the video m2v file. So I start back at the source and demux the HD audio using ClownBD. I also try to convert it to AC3 while doing so. The result is an audio file 20 minutes too short. ??? Wonderful.

Demux again, this time just taking the HD audio out unchanged. Now, how to convert it? Importing the DTS audio and the m2v file into AVStoDVD, it finishes the audio conversion this time, but gives me an even shorter audio stream (in time) than the one from ClownBD!!!

So, lets try with the core DTS from the original blu ray. Demux with ClownBD and have a normal DTS file. It looks dvd compliant, but isn’t! Authoring this with the m2v file gives you a dvd with no sound.

Conversion of the core in Audacity yields several results, none of which are entirely satisfactory. You can get a mono ac3 file that works perfectly…but hardly ideal since you have only one channel. You can convert to pcm wav file (mono or 6 channel), but it is far too large to fit onto a dvd. Conversion to ac3 6 channel gives you a very muffled sound.

Using a gui for Aften to convert the 6 channel wav file or core DTS to ac3 gives you NOISE. Aften seems entirely inadequate for this task.

So, I import the m2v file and core DTS audio into DVDFlick. DVDFlick works quickly to give me a dvd, and lo and behold, the audio is AC3 5.1. Yay. It has lost a bit of volume, but not too bad. But of course, DVDFlick has completely fracked up the aspect ratio of the video even though I set it to let compliant mpeg2 through without reencoding. I now have black bars on all four sides of the video. Crap.

So I demux the fracked up dvd with PGCDemux and get the precious ac3 audio out of there and reauthor using the m2v file and this ac3 file using DVDLab Pro.

Voila! So easy wasn’t it?

What about using eac3to? You can feed the DTS-HD MA audio directly into it and have it spit out 448kbit/sec AC3 audio. I’ve only done it a few times but haven’t had and issues.

Alternatively, what about pulling the DTS core audio out and using it as is?

ClownBD is a gui for eac3to. You may have noticed that it truncated the audio as it made ac3 audio for me.

And I tried the DTS core, as stated above. DTS core straight from blu ray does not work in dvd video. Most of the specifications fit within dvd needs, but there is something slightly off in the structure.

Looking at the core specs, it is 1510kbps instead of 1536 needed in DTS for dvd-video.

Also, to be compliant to dvd specifications, if you use a DTS audio track, you must also have a second track of pcm, ac3 or mp2 audio (PAL).

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2611571]ClownBD is a gui for eac3to. You may have noticed that it truncated the audio as it made ac3 audio for me.[/quote]What do you mean by truncated? It sped it up leaving the audio short, or it left off the last 20 minutes? How did you determine it was too short?

I know ClownBD uses eac3to, but for a task like this, I like dropping to the command prompt and using it directly.

And I tried the DTS core, as stated above. DTS core straight from blu ray does not work in dvd video. Most of the specifications fit within dvd needs, but there is something slightly off in the structure.
Sorry, I missed that detail.

I checked the output size of the ac3 audio with MediaInfo, right clicked and checked Properties and AVStoDVD reported a mismatch in size between the audio and video. Don’t know how much more definitive you want than that. :slight_smile:

The audio was cut short, in other words, eac3to had a catastrophic failure and failed to encode the last 20 minutes, but didn’t report an error in the log. Don’t know the reason why. FFmpeg in AVStoDVD also cut it short on the second try, but DVDFlick somehow managed not to screw up the audio. That’s the funny part of the whole deal.

And I really, [B]really[/B] hate command line encoding. I don’t even like using AviSynth when I have to customize the dang scripts.

As it so happens, the DL disk I burned this copy on has suffered a complete failure in a matter of days. :eek: :rolleyes:

And of course, I’d already deleted the version from the hard drive! :doh: :bigsmile:

So I ran the movie through BD Rebuilder this time, to make a DVD-9 dvd-video in Alternate output mode. No problems to report…BD Rebuilder simply worked.

So it goes.

Yep, when in doubt use BD Rebuilder. :iagree:

J Dobbs’ software is IMO some of the most reliable stuff out there and it’s exceptionally rare to have a problem with any of them.

[B]Wombler[/B]