Blu-Ray discs suggestions

vbimport

I just became the owner of a LG WH10LS30K and I’m looking for a good deal on blank +/-R discs. If you have any suggestions or experience with certain disc please let me know. Provide links if possible.

Thanks.

:doh:

Where are you located? What will you be using them for?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2562909]Where are you located? What will you be using them for?[/QUOTE]
I’m located in U.S., Chicago and I’ll be using them to backup my Blu-ray discs.

You’re sure you want to shrink your BD-R’s to single layer DVD’s :confused::)? With blank SL printable BD-R’s costing less than $1.00/ea., you can get high-quality full movie back-ups with BD-rebuilder or DVDfab.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2562919]You’re sure you want to shrink your BD-R’s to single layer DVD’s :confused::)? With blank SL printable BD-R’s costing less than $1.00/ea., you can get high-quality full movie back-ups with BD-rebuilder or DVDfab.[/QUOTE]
Ummmm…I didn’t say DVDs. I’m inquiring about blank Blu-ray discs. That’s why I titled the thread ‘Blu-ray discs’. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you live close to a Fry’s they seem to have great prices on generic 25gig disk all the time if your willing to gamble.
You might want to watch the deals section here and check out sites like Slick Deals and Fat Wallet as both have many folks watching for and posting great deals on all kinds of things including blank disks.

[QUOTE=smileychgo;2562921]Ummmm…I didn’t say DVDs. I’m inquiring about blank Blu-ray discs. That’s why I titled the thread ‘Blu-ray discs’. :p[/QUOTE]

That’s funny :). I posted a link to the $8.99 Acro Circle Optodiscs I’ve been having good luck with in the LG in my first response and then noticed you had asked for good deals on +/-R discs and removed my first post. Thought you were lookin for DVD’s :doh::bigsmile: .
These discs(half way down the specials page) have been solid for video back-ups for me so far. They throw them on sale at this price regularly, along with the “Merax” branded Optodiscs. This deal expires after 200 uses, might have to hurry to get em cheap this time around.

I recommend Verbatim as a good compromise on quality/price.

Buying ultra cheap disks has come back to bite people on the ass more times than I can count when talking about cds and dvds. I don’t think blu ray are immune to this either.

+/-R doesn’t apply to blu ray. No wonder you confused deanwitty.

Well I try to stay with quality brands myself but what with the price of BD media I think I’ve only burned about 10 things with my old LG H20l multi everything 6x burner, I got it before the ones that could at least read HD DVD went away and after the price had started to drop a bit so I could cover all my HD bases seeing how I have both types of media and players on hand.
I mostly used the BD-RE that came with it to make test disks to see if my ideas of how to make disks worked but it only lasted about 8 to 10 burns and is now bad.
I found a 25gig single layer at a Target store near here for 3:50 on closeout and bought it and made a working copy and that’s been about it for me lately so until the real quality makers drop prices I’ll probably take my chances with the cheaper ones most folks say work for now.
Keep hoping the big boys step up and drop prices but I spose keeping blanks spendy makes Hollywood happy for now.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Sorry for any confusion but I assumed blu-rays came in the same format as dvd. Since I missed out on the ones from the link that was posted, I went with the same brand from Supermediastore for $1 more and free shipping. It’s a start since I only own 5 blu-rays anyway.

I got some Optical Quantum 4x bd-r’s from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607025&cm_re=bd-r_4x_25_pack--17-607-025--Product

Sure, people will say stick with Verbatim 2x,4x bd-r’s (if your budget will permit) but you WILL be paying at least 15% more for the discs. For what I’m putting on them, I’m willing to gamble. Besides, for the next few hundred GB I’m concurrently backing up the SAME data on JVC value-line DVD-R’s. I’m in TRUST, but verify mode for at least one year, hehe…

** Just a word of caution… If I were you, I wouldn’t go crazy writing on ANY bd-r discs that are NOT inkjet printable… as there is new evidence that has ‘come to light’ that writing to ‘logo top’ non-IJP label discs will cause pre-mature reduced lifespans of the media. So, for now, I’m just using Post-Its to put on top of the Disc plastic holders in my multi-disc wallet cases for labeling purposes. Originally, it was thought that the marker ink wouldn’t be a factor in bleeding past the polycarbonate… but that isn’t always the case. Not worth taking a chance on discs which are 5-10x larger in terms of density (smaller pits/grooves).

Lastly, I burned these begining late December… I’ll get back to everyone in a year’s time & let you know how they’re doing. Maybe by that time LG will be so nice & let us “SCAN” with updated firmware?? :iagree::disagree::clap:

IMO, burning Blu-Ray discs backup will be pointless to do right now. The dye is still unstable, much like DVD-R when they first came common place during the 1x days. Very expensive discs, too.

I’ve only just moved onto the digital age of DVD because blanks now have become so cheap, affordable and reliable that it simply was false economy to stay with VHS :bigsmile:

Plus, their digital as well, which means I can copy them and get exact copies again and again. I laugh at VHS’s degrading :wink: