Blu Ray Burner, Which LG to Buy

Looking to purchase a Blu Ray burner but very new to this technology. I want to buy an LG because I have always great success with them. Should I purchase the GBW-H20L or the BH08LS20N? I really don’t know which is better.
Thanks

You weren’t getting any responses in the Newbie forum, so I’ve moved your thread to the Blu Ray hardware forum.

Hi patrick.bernardi, Welcome to CDFreaks :flower:

Both are good drive but the BH08LS20N is Faster and overspeeds more media.

If the extra cost doesn’t bother you for sure go with the BH08.

if you can afford it, BH08 all the way

Depends on how many discs your going to burn. With media as expensive as it is, I choose to go with the 6x burner over the 8x one because Im not going to be burning that many discs anyway. Plus the $70 or so price difference was too much for me at the time. I went with the GBW-H20L and havent had any problems yet. I can also get very cheap HD-DVD’S on Amazon because the GBW-H20L reads them also. The BH08LS20N does not.

[QUOTE=djfunz;2304879]Depends on how many discs your going to burn. With media as expensive as it is, I choose to go with the 6x burner over the 8x one because Im not going to be burning that many discs anyway. Plus the $70 or so price difference was too much for me at the time. I went with the GBW-H20L and havent had any problems yet. [B]I can also get very cheap HD-DVD’S on Amazon because the GBW-H20L reads them also. The BH08LS20N does not[/B].[/QUOTE]

GBW doesn’t read HD-DVD, GGW does.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2304860]Both are good drive but the BH08LS20N is Faster and overspeeds more media.[/QUOTE]

I have the BH08LS20. So far I have used only Verbatim- and Sony-branded BD-R and BD-RE single-layer (25GB) media. And of those that I used, only the Verbatim BD-Rs (with brand-rated speeds of both 2x and 4x) could be oversped to the burner’s full 8x speed rating. (The Sony NN3 that I used could be set to overspeed to 8x in the BH08’s firmware but the actual maximum write speed is limited to only 6x, which is Sony’s official speed rating for this media code.) And of course, the Sony BD-RE I used wrote at 2.3x speed (I have two Verbatim BD-RE discs, but have not yet opened them - but then again, 2.3x is the maximum rewrite speed rating for this burner).

[QUOTE=patrick.bernardi;2304409]Looking to purchase a Blu Ray burner but very new to this technology. I want to buy an LG because I have always great success with them. Should I purchase the GBW-H20L or the BH08LS20N? I really don’t know which is better.
Thanks[/QUOTE]I would suggest you get the latest one, eq BH08LS20N. Not just because it is faster but it also support more newer media out there. And naturally, any firmware updates for improvements will be prioritized toward newer model.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2305088]I have the BH08LS20. So far I have used only Verbatim- and Sony-branded BD-R and BD-RE single-layer (25GB) media. And of those that I used, only the Verbatim BD-Rs (with brand-rated speeds of both 2x and 4x) could be oversped to the burner’s full 8x speed rating. (The Sony NN3 that I used could be set to overspeed to 8x in the BH08’s firmware but the actual maximum write speed is limited to only 6x, which is Sony’s official speed rating for this media code.) And of course, the Sony BD-RE I used wrote at 2.3x speed (I have two Verbatim BD-RE discs, but have not yet opened them - but then again, 2.3x is the maximum rewrite speed rating for this burner).[/QUOTE]I believe the only 2x BD-R that can be burned at 8x on BH08LS20 are Verbatim (VERBATIMa) and Sony (SONY NN1). You can also find some 4x media overburned at 8x, check this thread: 8x Blu-ray Burner comparison chart

Maxell as well 2x at 8x

[QUOTE=zevia;2305146]I would suggest you get the latest one, eq BH08LS20N. Not just because it is faster but it also support more newer media out there. And naturally, any firmware updates for improvements will be prioritized toward newer model.

I believe the only 2x BD-R that can be burned at 8x on BH08LS20 are Verbatim (VERBATIMa) and Sony (SONY NN1). You can also find some 4x media overburned at 8x, check this thread: 8x Blu-ray Burner comparison chart[/QUOTE]

Yes. But the SONY NN3 is Sony’s 6x BD-R. I used ImgBurn to determine the maximum real write speed of that disc. With that, the software is set to burn at the maximum supported 8x burn speed - but the maximum real speed is only 6x during the second half of the disc. What’s more, I never saw the actual write speed exceed 6x anywhere on this media.

As for the 2x Sony BD-Rs that I used, my particular discs were SONY NO1 discs, which burnt at only 2x (as expected).