Blu-ray boom not enough to rescue DVD sales

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Since Blu-ray Disc’s victory in the hi-definition DVD format war, data have trickled in suggesting a sales boost for Sony’s fledgling technology. But if the pace doesn’t quicken, home video might not return to sustained growth mode for several years.

Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSN2333821520080423

:cool::cool:

Conclusion from the article:

• Millions of PS3 owners don’t seem to care that they own a blu-ray player. And if they do, many of them don’t buy Blu-ray movies.
  • Until Blu-ray standalone price fall under $200, don’t expect blu-ray to be widely adopted
  • Many people does not upgrade their movie library, that means they don’t buy old classic movies in blu-ray, they want new movies in hidef.

But I thought the title of the article should be Blu-ray boom caused declining DVD sales? Or it’s just simply there’s not enough good movies in DVD and blu-ray compared to previous years? Or is it because the US economy in recession?

I think it’s saying prices are too high and many PS3 owners cared less that it also had a BD player. I refuse to pay 30 bucks a disk and have been mostly buying the fire sale HD-DVD movies that I find but most stores have shipped back their hd-dvd movies now here, thanks Sony for buying the market, and Toshiba for giving up :a
I have bought about 7 BD movies now, always at least on a slight sale, I have over 30 HD movies now and will buy as many more as I can find for a deal of either format, but HD always has been cheaper so that’s what I’m buying.
Been Buying the BD movies I REALLY want to have, other then that they better be real cheap to be worth buying for me.

I read that Best Buy and others shipped back hd dvd movies due to extremely small or no demand. They have waited more than a month after Toshiba throw the towel but unfortunately they simply couldn’t sell them, even at margin and as business who wants to sell thousands (or millions?) hd-dvd discs at loss price?

If you check ebay, out of 9,000 completed listings, most of them are between 1 cents to $8 but most no buyers. Only some popular and newer titles sell above $10.

My local Best Buy was still getting new HD-DVD stock up till about a week ago. Most Universal titles were $12.99, I took advantage of it. Searched high and low for The Chronicles of Riddick and finaly found it. Then within the last two weeks I received my 10 free HD-DVD from Toshiba. The last 5 they had substituted The Chronicles of Riddick for something else I ordered, Oh well. To date I have 64 HD-DVD and 64 Blu-ray movies. Most of the BD movies were bought in 2 for 1 sales. Paying $30-$35.00 for a high def movie is still way too much. And why the hell I ordered Darkman from Toshiba is beyond me.:Z

I feel like it is the recession,just not enough extra money from the middle class to the lower middle class,(where I am at)The main bills are taking from entertainment,plus from my opinion with the experience I have had with older movies being redone in Blu-Ray seems to have so much noise in the background of the picture that you got to turn down the contrast so much that it really is not any better than a up convert,except for audio.
I say from my experience and this has been with about 10 movies.

[quote=zaina;2043957]Conclusion from the article:

• Millions of PS3 owners don’t seem to care that they own a blu-ray player. And if they do, many of them don’t buy Blu-ray movies.
  • Until Blu-ray standalone price fall under $200, don’t expect blu-ray to be widely adopted
  • Many people does not upgrade their movie library, that means they don’t buy old classic movies in blu-ray, they want new movies in hidef.

But I thought the title of the article should be Blu-ray boom caused declining DVD sales? Or it’s just simply there’s not enough good movies in DVD and blu-ray compared to previous years? Or is it because the US economy in recession?[/quote]

I don’t think HD sales were worse then BD, they just all got cold feet when everyone pulled out of the market and figured they’d only have to sell bd at a higher price.
Every time I went to a store with HD stock people were buying stuff up at the good prices most were at. They probably got offered full buyout to dump inventory but who knows.
CC here had a bunch of hd movies for half off for a couple of weeks after the BB’s here sent theirs back but now my closest store is also BD only so either it all sold or they sent what was left back.
Now Toshiba’s crying abot how much money they lost and Bd movies are never on a 2 fer sale any more, they don’t have to now I guess.
Once they figure out that one reason DVD movies sell so, or did, well is the price, maybe they’ll drop it and BD will start really moving.