Blu-ray blank media, player and recorder prices in Japan

vbimport

So a friend of mine who is visiting Japan email me this morning. He just came back from Akihabara and send me these prices from “Bic Camera” store. He said there’s no Blu-ray player in that store, only blu-ray recorders.

• Sony BDZ-A70 Blu-ray recorder, 320GB harddrive US$1680

• Sony BDZ-T55 Blu-ray recorder, 320GB harddrive $1080

• Sharp Aquos Blu-ray recorder 50GB $782

• Panasonic DMR-BW930 Blu-ray Recorder, ITB, $2680

• Panasonic DMR-BW730 Blu-ray recorder, 320GB, $1400

Still a bit too much for a recorder don’t you think?

~~
And these are Blu-ray blank media prices in that store (Bic Camera):

• TDK BD-R 25GB 5 pack 2980 yen (US$ 29), less than $6 each

• TDK BD-RE 25GB 5 pack $47

• Sony BD-RE 25GB 10 pack $90

• Sony BD-RE DL 50GB 5 pack $85

• Panasonic BD-RE DL 50GB 3 pack $65

• TDK BD-R DL 50GB, 3 pack $44

• TDK BD-R DL 50GB 10 pack $55 ($5.5 each!)

• Sony BD-R DL 50GB 5 pack $84.8

Some of those media are about the same here in the US but some are good price! (though he didn’t write the speed, 2x, 4x or 6x). Maybe someone know which store sell cheaper in Akihabara?

Yep Bic Camera and all bigger stores dont sell Blu-ray players…all you get is recorders with digital terrestrial TV.
About Media:
Best place to get them is in Akihabara and not at Bic Camera (btw there is no Bic Camera in Akihabara).
Shops to look out for BD media: Akibang and Akibaoo as well as F-shokai in Akihabara.
Some examples:
4x BD-R 25GB Panasonic 5pcs 2600 yen (26US)
2x BD-R 25GB Maxell 5pcs 1900 yen
2x BD-RE 25GB TDK 10pcs 6500 yen
4x BD-R DL 50Gb TDK 5pcs 4700 yen
2x BD-RE DL 50Gb TDK 3pcs 4500 yen
Prices are from Akibang…

What koba said. Those prices are about right for the big chain stores like Bic, but there are cheaper places out there. When I price my media for sale overseas I generally try to match places like Bic or Yamada Denki, which should tell you their prices are a bit high since selling worldwide involves such huge fees and markups.

Btw the 10 pack 50gb should be 25gb, TDK themselves don’t even sell 50gb that cheap. :wink:

Also I love F-shokai, great service and they’ve even been able to beat my wholesale prices at times on certain orders, really cool media only shop.

Also also I got my BDZ-A70 for $1150 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info guys!

I assume all those media are Made in Japan?

Unfortunately there is none Blu-ray recorders in the US, yet. According to this news the earliest will be 2009. But from nikoneko post in another thread, I think all of them only have Japanese characters on their panels, setup and manuals?

Interesting topic. :slight_smile:

What do you use Blu-ray recorder for? Don’t you have set top box DVR for cable TV from your service provider (in Japan)?

Here I’m using hidef DVR supplied by cable TV provider and it can record two programs (HD or standard) at once. Does all Blu-ray recorder have two tuners? Can you record HD programs on DVD blanks and get hidef? Is it 1080p or same here 1080i/720p?

How does a blu-ray recorder works? Does it record directly to blu-ray blanks or to harddrive first or both?

[QUOTE=zevia;2144571]I assume all those media are Made in Japan?[/QUOTE]

Yes all the brands mentioned Sony, TDK, Panasonic are MIJ. It’s actually kind of hard to find non-MIJ blu-ray media here, I’ve seen made in Taiwan only once or twice on some Maxell discs and that’s about it.

Yeah I have a cable box with dvr, but the hd is not as big for one and its kind of sucky for another haha. I much prefer the blu-ray recorder. In fact we are probably going to give up the cable and switch to satellite since the recorder doesn’t support the cable box.

Almost all of the recorders have 2 tuners yeah, they generally record terrestial analog & digital, and what’s called bs & cs (satellite).

The nicest models are 1080/60p and the rest are 1125i/750p (for Sonys at least which is all I looked up).

I am not sure about recording hi-def to dvd-rs or if it will record direct from tuner to disc and I’m too lazy to go upstairs and get the manual. :stuck_out_tongue:

In general you use it like a typical pvr, it also has some tivo like auto-record shows you might like stuff, but you basically record your stuff to the hd and then watch it and/or dump it to bd, dvd, or cd. Also plays all the above of course. And also will dub all above between each other using the hd as a middle ground. Oh and also lets you input from your video or digi-cam and dump all that content to disc too (or any other source really but anything other than video cameras are s-vid max input). They are basically just the evolution of vcrs is how I look at it.

Some Bluray recorders are able to record in hidef to DVD-R. They use AVCREC which uses H.264 to record to DVD-R. I think Panasonic ones will do directly to DVD-R while others first have to transcode to h.246.

[quote=koba;2144540]Yep Bic Camera and all bigger stores dont sell Blu-ray players…all you get is recorders with digital terrestrial TV.
About Media:
Best place to get them is in Akihabara and not at Bic Camera (btw there is no Bic Camera in Akihabara).
Shops to look out for BD media: Akibang and Akibaoo as well as F-shokai in Akihabara.
Some examples:
4x BD-R 25GB Panasonic 5pcs 2600 yen (26US)
[B]2x BD-R 25GB Maxell 5pcs 1900 yen[/B]
2x BD-RE 25GB TDK 10pcs 6500 yen
4x BD-R DL 50Gb TDK 5pcs 4700 yen
2x BD-RE DL 50Gb TDK 3pcs 4500 yen
Prices are from Akibang…[/quote]Maxell 5pcs for 1900 yen = $19?? So its like US$3.8… I want some!