Blu-ray and HD-DVD agree to work on a unified format

vbimport

I just posted the article Blu-ray and HD-DVD agree to work on a unified format.

Xecuter2 used our news  submit to let us know  about the latest news in the progress for a unified next  generation DVD standard. As you may know, there are talks currently in...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10231-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD-agree-to-work-on-a-unified-format.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10231-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD-agree-to-work-on-a-unified-format.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

OMG I hope this does not spell the end for Blu-ray! :c But due to the almighty dollar I am afraid.

Oh well, all hope for them competing on their strengths is lost. I never thought I’d be for a format war, but I think we need one. I like the idea of outsiders giving the main players a run for their money, and the resultant price drops in order to attract Joe Public. Technically speaking, we can only hope the new format is not compromised. The idea of all the corporations standing firm and actually agreeing with each other with nobody to keep them honest is actually pretty horrifying to me.

Guys, this is GREAT news! Who wants TWO different HD DVD standards? It confuses the average folk too much. Just like friends that keep asking me if its best to use DVD-R or DVD+R. One unified standard is the way to go. Let’s hope its got the best of both the older standards in the new one. I.E. larger capacity of BluRay and easier to adopt by DVD makers, ala HD-DVD. :d

And do you remember the 90’s when (almost) Intel was the only processor manufacturer ? There was no war. But was a very overpriced processor price. That will be the same with ONE high capacity DVD format. And I wish those Avarage Joe’s cry for the high prices then… Competition always makes lower prices in the end. (even if research and manufacturing cost are higher in the first time… but we (who used to buy the 1st generation of new products) all pay that, I still remember the first CD writer and DVD writer of mine, they both costed more than 5000 usd…) regards, Stephen

What are you all talking about. What this means is that Hi Def DVD is gonna be the same as the current DVD standard ie one format which will work on any player. And that is a bad thing why?

great great news :g btw wtf has to do intel’s past monopoly,media overpricing and the compromise of quality with this new unified format?do u think before u talk? jeez :r again GREAT NEWS

I’m with the crowd on this one. Stephen brought up an absolutely terrible comparison here. I’m honestly impressed at the effort it would take to ignore the obvious comparison and bring up something that’s completely unrelated. Intel, is a company that produced processors. What you are referring to is a time when they were virtually the only option for processors. This has no bearing on this discussion. Intel’s processors were made by one company, Intel. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives and players were to be made by any companies that wished to make them. Hence, the competition is between companies like Panasonic, Sony, RCA, Phillips, JVC… etc… to make a player that the consumer wants to buy. That’s where we’ll find lower prices. Your analogy would imply that by unifiying… only one company will make an HD-DVD player and they’ll be free to charge whatever price they wish. That’s a complete and total fantasy that you’ve introduced in order to try and make a point that simply doesn’t exist. Now, if we are to make comparisons out of recent history. Let’s actually take one that makes sense. Instead of HD-DVD. Let’s examine… DVD. Makes sense, since we’re talking about a Video disc format… let’s compare it to a Video disc format. Not a processor. Ya with me Stephen. Now let’s look at DVD’s. This is a unified format. There is no Blu-DVD… There’s just DVD. So according to your logic… DVD players are overpriced and the consumer is forced to pay them. Wrong. My sister, a consumer, just bought a DVD player for $20 at Best Buy. You can find similar stores selling players at similar prices. Almost any store that sells electronics will have a DVD player for under $50. Not to beat a dead horse, but again… a unified format has nothing to do with a monopoly on DVD players. Companies will continue to wage war with one another, and we can expect another great round of benefits to come our way. With a unified format, the competition will actually increase. With two formats, companies would have to choose which format to endorse and which type of player to make. Now these companies will all be competing for the same format and the same market. Again, this is only a GREAT thing for competition. I’m still a bit shocked that anyone would actually be able to make a comparison like that. You’d think, instead of dredging up Intel from the early 90’s… you’d just think back to this wonderful price drop we’ve all enjoyed. DVD players have been dirt cheap for years now… it’s one of the great benefits of the competition between companies that’s out there. The absence of logic is just amazing.
[edited by jab1981 on 01.05.2005 15:42]

DVD players & recorders took their sweet time to come down in price. They spent many years at exhorbitant prices, if you remember. They were very high (and uncopyable) for many years. We can probably thank DeCSS for the price drop and popularity (and utility) of recorders for the majority of the market, which helped push their prices down. Before that, everything was very expensive, so I see more than a passing resemblance with expensive Intel processors. Those who own the market can get together & dictate all sorts of things to benefit their bottom line, and NOT the consumer. So in that sense it’s not TRUE competition. It all depends on how the corporations play the game, and whether or not they take part in price-fixing like the big RAM companies have been investigated over (and some charged, like Hynix…).

Normally I’m very anti-SONY but I just hope the blue laser doesnt get dumped. HD-DVD is a step sideways not forwards and the lack of capacity (relative to Blue-ray) is a major drawback to me (as I’m more interested in data storage than movies). Fingercrossed they fall out again or the HD-DVD guys realise they are pushing a majorly inferior format and give up.

for the last time people hd-dvd also uses a blue laser

If both companies are working on a unified format then obviously they will combine the strengths of both formats which is a good thing. Blu-Ray’s higher capacity and HD-DVD’s easy of manufacturing. Isn’t it true that HD-DVD’s can be played on todays DVD players? That’s a huge advantage right there.
[edited by quikgamer on 02.05.2005 09:14]

“Sony and Toshiba are now in the process of designing the new standard, which seeks to take the strengths from each medium and combine them.” Now I may not see it right, but seems like this “new standard” is indeed a new one. So we’ll probably have Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and this Some-Kinda-New-Format. Three types of media instead of two.

I’m all for a unified format for the next generaton of DVD media but I can’t help wondering if this will be a repeat of the Beta/VHS fiasco from years ago. The end result might be that the new “unified” DVD format will be an inferior one and the technically superior one will remain proprietary. :c

" for the last time people hd-dvd also uses a blue laser " Understood, however, HD-DVD does not hold the same amount of data as BR, the difference is not minimal, either, BR’s data capacity is twice that of HD. Hopefully they’ll compromise by keeping BR’s data capacity and expandability(to multiple layers, I think BR can go as high as 4 layers, HD only 2) but perhaps, utilize the HD’s video format or something like that.

This is only true for hybrid discs which contain a DVD layer (the same for BD). The HD-DVD layer can’t be read by a current DVD-player. The red laser which is used in current DVD players uses a much higher wavelength than the blue-laser. This means that the beam spotis larger and that the optical resolution is lower compared to blue laser technologies. If you remember the fact that blue-laser technologies use besides the blue laser a reduced track pitch to rise the capacity to 15GB and more, then you will see that the red laser isn’t able see a difference between the track.
[edited by H3rB3i on 02.05.2005 15:31]

Intel has never had a monopoly on PC processors. In the 80’s, there were alternatives from Harris and TI and NEC. In the mid 90’s, there was competition from AMD, Cyrix, IBM, and Centaur. Intel was the dominant manufacturer, but the others all sold significant numbers. Now, AMD is the only manufacturer with significant numbers - Transmeta and Via still market chips, but very low sales. Much as I hate to see Blu-Ray compromised to a lower capacity standard, I do think its important to not have a format war here. A recent example of a format battle has been SACD vs. DVD-A. Because of the split (or it can be argued that in the MP3 era, people don’t give a turd about audio quality), neither has been widely adopted.

I have talked to a very very high source in Ritek Corp and he said these discs have many problems. Its possible to solve these problems but its very exepensive. Also the discs are very complicated to manufacture, compared to CD and DVD. Now if you put these 2 discs into 1 product, its going to be even more expensive. What I am trying to say, that its quite ceratin that these discs will never be as cheap as current CD and DVD discs are. Also the DVD will not be cheaper than CD due to higher manufacturing costs (DVD is 2 plastic discs on top of eachother, CD is 1)

>I have talked to a very very high source in Ritek Corp and he said these discs have many problems.< Which one, Blu-ray or HD-DVD or both?
[edited by H3rB3i on 04.05.2005 14:20]