BLU-RAY (16x speed)!

As i haven’t bough a single dvd disc for about two years now. I haven’t burnt a disc in one and half years, since the discs run out.

Problem i have is that i think it is a waste of money buying into more blank dvd discs ever again. Not wanting to waste money on crap speed BR drives either am waiting for the writing speed to be at least 16x speed. Don’t want to do the same as had done with cd and dvd, forever upgrading for sake of it just for better writing speed.

Maybe this forum is the wrong place to post this since is cd and dvd. Yet i don’t see any for Blu-Ray pc writers only Blu-Ray home media forum, so posted here.

1. Is there a 16x Blu-Ray writer for pc available yet

2. If not anyone heard of when might be available

3. Best blu-Ray discs available atm, which aren’t high cost such as TY. But so far proven dye and reliabilty for data and video storage after 12x high speed burn.

This info i need since i haven’t bought a hard drive in same length of time either. Really just haven’t bothered and drives are nearly all at bursting. So need to shift data to optical disc that has higher storage capacity the dvd has. 100GB-250gb+ per optical disc is more what i need, more the better.

To spend money on less optical disc stoarge capacity (dvd) is just a waste of money.

16x Blu-Ray writers needed for pata [ide]

1. Is there a 16x Blu-Ray writer for pc available yet

Not that I am aware of, no. There are several 12x drives.

1. If not anyone heard of when might be available

No. But if it is physically possible to push the media to that speed, the manufacturers will probably try to do it. They seem to think speed is an important marketing feature, even though the results of the burns will probably be complete trash.

1. Best blu-Ray discs available atm, which aren’t high cost such as TY. But so far proven dye and reliability for data and video storage after 12x high speed burn.

Unknown by myself. I don’t recommend burning dvds at high speed, much less blu ray. The best combination of quality and price at the moment seem to be the 4x Verbatim inorganic disks. But I wouldn’t attempt a 12x burn with them, even if my drive could do that.

You might look for some Japanese made Sony 6x disks if you want to burn at high speed, but your wallet will not like you.

The Pioneer 206MBK can burn the new 100 and 128gb BDXL disks. Compatibility will likely be very poor since they will require more powerful lasers to read the three or four layers of the disk. And costs will be through the roof. You would be better advised to use hard drives for large amounts of digital storage.

If you can find a blu ray burner with an IDE/PATA interface, let me know. I don’t remember seeing one other than the 5yr old Plextor PX-B900A, which cost nearly $1000 back then.
Edit: Ah, a little research shows the Sony BWU-100A as well, though it is discontinued. Suffice it to say they weren’t very common and aren’t available now, since everyone has moved on to SATA interface.

Ah ok then so need to use sata, will egt a new pci card for that. P3s will need them, maybe also have better for p4s and not use the onboard sata connectors.

I didn’t mention which i should of, need for both data storage and video writing. As i can see from your post you think higher speeds are of no use for video writing. I have seen that posted for dvd way back also, but have never had problems using highest speed for writing data or video. Saying that i wouldn’t allow for 12x to write at 16x. But always when wrote dvd let 16x discs write at 18x

Seems maybe then blu-ray still is in its infancy yet to mature. Which could easily take another two years for reliable burns using high speeds that the drives can write at.

Maybe then better sollution is to buy hdd for next few years. Since they are now all sata mainly, annother reason now to buy best sata pci add in controler cards.

Wonder why the manufactures are so slow on making better speed writers. Maybe their is an inherant problem with blu-ray attaining/maintaining those speeds for perfect write strategies.

Is blu-ray destined to be a dead duck, maybe something better arrives to replace it (i hope so)

btw i have tried to find details here of how long it would take a blu-ray disc to be burned at even 12x. For example time taken to fill a blu-ray disc with data only. Sure some here must have done this, can you remember the time taken.

Burn time

Burn + Verify Time

I would just like to say one thing after reading what has been said above about recording speeds:
a constant recording speed of 12 x for a BR-SL just does not exist !

Here in this review of the Pioneer BDR-205 burner:

a Sony branded BD-R 6x certified of MID code SONY-NN3 (002) has been written in 10 mn 57 s at “what people call a speed of 12x”

the Pioneer BDR-205BK had no problems overspeeding this 6x Sony media to 12x

But in fact this Sony BD-R disc has been written at an average linear speed of only 9,03x
as can been seen in the ‘Create Disc’ graph in Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.4.7.16
reported below from this review:

The 12x speed is CAV (a constant angular speed) and not CLV (constant linear speed).

This (linear) [B]speed of 12x people talk about all the time is only reached at the [U]very[/U] [U]end[/U] of the burn[/B] towards the edge of the disc !
[U]Note[/U]: these 12x and 16x figures refer to a BD format transfer rate and not to the figures of transfer used for the DVD transfer rate

You will never get a CLV speed of 12x from the [U]beginning[/U] of burn (near the center of a BD-R) disc simply because the rotation (RPM) would be too far too high for the polycarbonate structure and the disc beeing physically destroyed (and behaving like a flying saucer !)

[B]You will [U]also[/U] never get a 16x linear speed towards the [U]end[/U] of a BD burn [/B]because of the same reason:
the RPM would be too high and the polycabornate disc “get satellized”

So even waiting for a 16x linear speed (approched anyway only at the very end of the burn towrds the edge of the BD disc) is just hopeless !
[B]The benefit in [U]seconds[/U] for the total burning time[/B] compared to a 12x linear speed towards the end would anyway be very low

See also this other thread:

[B]« What will the maximum Blu Ray DVD read speed be [kind of like 52x was max for CDs] ? »[/B]

[QUOTE=franz99;2586066]The 12x speed is CAV (a constant angular speed) and not CLV (constant linear speed).

This (linear) [B]speed of 12x people talk about all the time is only reached at the [U]very[/U] [U]end[/U] of the burn[/B] towards the edge of the disc !
[U]Note[/U]: these 12x and 16x figures refer to a BD format transfer rate and not to the figures of transfer used for the DVD transfer rate

You will never get a CLV speed of 12x from the [U]beginning[/U] of burn (near the center of a BD-R) disc simply because the rotation (RPM) would be too far too high for the polycarbonate structure and the disc beeing physically destroyed (and behaving like a flying saucer !)

[B]You will [U]also[/U] never get a 16x linear speed towards the [U]end[/U] of a BD burn [/B]because of the same reason:
the RPM would be too high and the polycabornate disc “get satellized”

So even waiting for a 16x linear speed (approched anyway only at the very end of the burn towrds the edge of the BD disc) is just hopeless !
[B]The benefit in [U]seconds[/U] for the total burning time[/B] compared to a 12x linear speed towards the end would anyway be very low[/QUOTE]

Exactly as you say never does i drive get to full write speed except at the end of the disc.

4x speed writing must take forever and an age for 25 gb disc to complete. For me would take forever that i would also need to verify everything has been written correctly. This i could do and have done always in the past with cd and dvd writing and verifying at high speed only. Mainly all data discs but also a few dvd video and they playback even today without problems. All data discs cd and dvd are still readable no matter their age.

Would like to make my collection of cd and dvd discs much smaller. It would be nice if 50 dvd’s could become 2 discs (100 gb discs).

Its a shame all that was promised for these high capacity burners has never materialized yet. Maybe just sales tactics to get people to buy into a dead market, well seems it is dead.

Something is amiss with BD its like the cartel behind it is stalling it for some reason. Well this is the feeling i have. Yes look forward to newer and better such as 100 gb or greater storage capacity for optical discs.

Meanwhile i have choices to make and is not good, hasn’t been for years now. Buy dvd discs the market has long gone stale for them and all is available in mid range is tat. Low price discs are rubbish and buying high priced discs is a joke unneeded. Then there is hdd which really is still no use for long term storage. Sdd is not a reality and seems to have stalled. A good idea but not well backed to bring lower prices and so high capacity drives fast enough. If continues same path doomed to fail.

Full circle again still haven’t bought bland dvd disc in years or plan to. Sure need somewhere to put data as hdd is a bad place for it untrustworthy.

Still wait for a new break through that is a good storage medium or discs that are 100 gb or more.

Have spent a while looking at this, and still waiting. While at the same time i have nearly given up on computers, net use mainly now. Maybe that is what the BD consortium planned to do, makes sense when you think about it.

Ah maybe this could help me, will have to look up which drives and cost fro drive and media.

[QUOTE=robbi;2585607]
Seems maybe then blu-ray still is in its infancy yet to mature. Which could easily take another two years for reliable burns using high speeds that the drives can write at.

Wonder why the manufactures are so slow on making better speed writers. Maybe their is an inherant problem with blu-ray attaining/maintaining those speeds for perfect write strategies.

Is blu-ray destined to be a dead duck, maybe something better arrives to replace it (i hope so)[/QUOTE]

It took CD’s about 12years to get to 52x …
It took DVD’s about 8years to get to 16x

Blurays started at a relatively high speed to start with … and they’ve really only been around for about 2 years in any sort of serious market penetration … they’re upto 12x writer now.

The main problem i believe it’s the quality of the media, and not the burn speed of the drive. The same problem exists in DVD’s only some media are able to reach speeds higher than 20x.
So for the moment i prefer to have quality over speed.

The way it is for me now is am waiting for BDXL to become cheaper. That is prices of dvd as now. BDXL seems to be the way forward which was said capable of doing long ago. I don’t know why they release at stupid prices. Where if released at lower realistic prices as dvd or BD now would have much higher sales for longer time. I think near all public will wait for this to happen, maybe 1% will buy now. Not exactly great profit maker then BDXL until public buy into it.

Look what would happen if unknown company who invented something better silently. Announces a bigger better optical medium than BDXL which takes everyone by surprise. Then sell at the dvd prices as they are now, they would sweep away BD and BDXL in an instant. Overnight everyone will buy into this new optical storage because the price is same as dvd and storage capacity is far greater than dvd. What if they let no other manufacture use their design and kept it in house. All optical drive manufactures overnight have failed, and this could see easily happen. Another reason why new products should not be released with realistic lower prices. Look at what medium is now that sells the most (dvd) and sell your new product at those same prices. To gain increase profit revenue for longest time. Manufacture products that are the best and have good customer service also ensures any manufacture to stay in lead sales position and profits.

Meanwhile will instead buy some hdd to store data to. Having no choice i need more storage space now.

Updated - Read This post instead

Have read the 100gb are the Re-Write Discs and 128gb are the write once discs. For me i will start mainly with 128gb discs and re store 1000’s of cd and dvd discs to BDXL

The way it is for me now is am waiting for BDXL to become cheaper, cheap as dvd drives and discs are now. Sure they can do that and still earn huge profits in doing so. I think most of the public buyers will wait for prices to fall, maybe 1% will buy now! Not exactly a great profit maker then for BDXL not until public buy into it.

Have also read that the dye would be better if they had money to buy better processing equipment. So maybe we should wait for a year after prices have dropped. Or first to buy will not have long life disc storage.

What would happen if unknown company who invented something better silently. Announces a bigger better optical medium than BDXL which takes everyone by surprise. Then sell at the dvd prices as they are now, they would sweep away BD and BDXL association a is now in an instant. Overnight everyone will buy into this new optical storage because the pos price is same as dvd or better. And the optical disc storage capacity is far greater than dvd could ever be. What if they let no other manufacture use their design and kept it closed. All optical drive manufactures overnight will fail, and this could see easily happen. Another reason why new products should not be released with realistic lower prices.

Look at what is selling the most now (still dvd ?) then sell your new product at those same prices. To gain increase profit revenue for longest time. Manufacture products that are the best and have good customer service also ensures any manufacture to stay in lead sales position and profits.

I think for BDXL to gain reputation and profits quickly for BD association and members is to drop BD quickly. Release BDXL along side BD units and discs, so public will moan a little but the BDXL advances are so huge 50gb at best to 100gb plus without BD restrictions. Sure will be new design maybe TB optical discs maybe. But guess will be further away (few years). Maybe drop the prices for computing community first and so the home theater community will shout want the same, and so easier to drop BD more silently. After all they still be able to play their BD discs on a new unit when they upgrade.

The key is pc owners that will initially make manufactures profits quickly. If only they get the price right early enough. Which should be now not later. Or maybe the BD industry is trying to bide time given BD home theater market has just gone from dvd to BD. Manufactures put this another way i have a few dvd home units and yet not one bd unit. All people i know which is many very few also have no bd unit. Even though they are in cheap shops to buy cheap. Reason because i told them not to buy. Instead wait as will be better and so they also told their friends. Well you should think this as a service more so if they have all posted this on the internet (unknown).

Sure enough there is better BDXL. Drop the price of this and i will buy a few pc and home units. And discs to go with each, of course more BDXL+r 128gb than any others. Money, money money like this in such an economy is good not to be missed. Then times that by millions doing the same soon amounts to huge profits. Or don’t drop prices and see little profits until you do so, your choice.

Meanwhile will instead buy some hdd to store data to. Having no choice i need more storage space now.