Blotching

vbimport

People have said CD’s blotch, what do they look like when they blotch and what would playback of a movie be like??

Cheers

Can you post a link to where someone mentions this blotching thing? I really am not certain of what you mean.

Martin told me mate, is he right??

I don’t know who this ‘martin’ is …

hm, what’s this thread about?!?

I’m also wondering about that … :confused:

maybe this is an general thread where everyone can post anything?! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

tomato ketchup ! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :iagree:

Jason, you can read about the so-called CD rot here. DVD rot is much more rare, there are only a few pressed DVDs that were affected and those were some of the very early releases.

DVDR media is a lot more vulnerable to “rot” since organic dye is used for the recording layer. Symptoms are described on the above-mentioned pages. However you need not worry: as long as you buy quality media and keep in in cool, dry place (no, a refrigerator won’t do =) away from sunlight, and the ambient air is not heavily polluted, your media should be fine.

Btw, movies don’t come on CDs (except for the South/East-Asian markets where VCDs are popular). Those shiny round things are called DVDs.

On the data side of a dvd or recordable dvd, you will see what appears to be a liquid appearance. It looks as if water has become trapped inside, under the plastic.

That is blotching, a form of dvd rot. The glue has released.

If you catch this early, the dvd may still be readable, so create a backup of it before it fails.

I’ve gotten a couple of these discs from rental at blockbuster. For example, new movie coming out soon is called Freeze Frame, not a popular movie, but a “single title” and it has this problem. Played back perfectly fine, but I’m wondering how long this will last…

Is this just a disc pressing error, or defect materials being used, that cause this?

new movie coming out soon is called Freeze Frame, not a popular movie, but a “single title” and it has this problem.

Well atleast one way or another your going to be seeing a ‘freeze frame’

that was a very poor j/k sorry!

that was a very poor j/k sorry!

…and after a few seconds, your avatar looks hilariously vulgar… :eek:

Soory, I’ve been visiting the wrong sites too much lately…