Blockbuster increased to $34.99

Did this just happened to anyone? I got an email from Blockbuster stating that they are increasing my account from $24.99 to $34.99. This is getting crazy. It was $14.99 before and then $24.99 and now they want $34.99. Here’s the email…

As a BLOCKBUSTER Total Accessâ„¢ subscriber, it’s always easy to have the right movie during this holiday season with more than 75,000 titles, including great new releases like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.

We know that during this busy time of year the convenience of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is especially important to you. Have your movies delivered right to your door. If you want new movies right away, exchange in-store*. And with free shipping both ways and no late fees, it’s easy to enjoy all the movies you want for as long as you want.

To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment†will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your subscription plan will remain the same.

And now check out blockbuster.com where you can view exclusive footage from The Great Debaters, the much anticipated new movie starring Denzel Washington that opens in theaters on Christmas Day. This is just another example of how BLOCKBUSTER® is working to bring you exciting new entertainment features.

There are plenty of long winter nights ahead, so make sure that your Queue is filled with all the movies you want to watch next including new movie releases coming in January 2008, such as 3:10 to Yuma, The Game Plan and Saw IV.

Thanks for continuing to be a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscriber. It truly is the best entertainment value out there.

BLOCKBUSTER

Blockbuster Price goes up, Netflex Price goes down :confused:

What did you expect. They couldn’t maintain that kind of volume of rentals for those kinds of prices. I’ve never cared for blockbuster (even when I was a kid) just because they are a quantity versus quality store. Always have been and always will be. They’ll snare you in with a good deal and then keep on jacking up prices. I do have a question though, does BB charge extra for plans that offer high def formats (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray)?

Yeah I got it too… :rolleyes:

maybe time for netflix again.

WHAT!!!. They just raised me 7 dollars a month a month ago from 17.95 to 24.95 now there raising it again! $10.00. Now it will be $34.95 a month for 3 movies out with in store swap, Hmmmm GOODBYE BB :iagree:

Kiss them goodby

what? you mean for the netflix like online rental?

Netfix is better

Well there are 2 Blockbuster posts floating around so I will answer here. I am going to Hollywood Video for they haven’t changed their prices yet, just gotta go back and forth to the store itself!

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1957843]Netfix is better[/QUOTE]

Its hard to get new releases on Netflix, well atleast for me.

My price is still the same on Blockbuster and they havent told me other wise.

This is the second time they raised the prices in 6 months, what I used to get for 17.99 per month now costs 34.99 and no free coupon for movie or game a month. This tells me they are in a cash cruch and are taking it out on the consumer, I think I will stick to just plain rentals, and buy the ones I like for my collection. They dont have 6 movies a month that I want to see. Poor move on their part.:frowning:

Blockbuster price threads merged. :wink:

[QUOTE=Metrock;1957914]Its hard to get new releases on Netflix, well atleast for me.
[/QUOTE]

Use search by name not looking in new releases.

I too got an e-mail this AM stating the price increase to $34.99.
This is a 100% increase in the last 4 months. I just cancelled my online account. Enough is enough!!!:

I was willing to live with $24.99 but at $34.99, that’s absurd. I will milk it prior to the date the rates go into effect and cancel and switch back to Netflix. Bastards!!!

[QUOTE=Metrock;1957914]Its hard to get new releases on Netflix, well atleast for me.

My price is still the same on Blockbuster and they havent told me other wise.[/QUOTE]

Are you a “heavy user”? I don’t know what BB defines as such but rumor is that if you are a heavy user, then they price you higher. May be rumours.

Here’s an article on MSNBC.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1958111]Use search by name not looking in new releases.[/QUOTE]

I don’t mean like finding it on the site, I mean by getting them sent to me. When I had Netflix if I didn’t get a New Release shipped to me the Monday before its release, most of the time I wouldn’t get it shipped to me for a couple weeks.

[QUOTE=infernox;1958203]Are you a “heavy user”? I don’t know what BB defines as such but rumor is that if you are a heavy user, then they price you higher. May be rumours.[/QUOTE]

What do you define a heavy user as? I wouldn’y say I am light user though. Also just to let you know I just subscribe to the 3 out at a time with no store exchanges, if this effects anything.

Netflix [I]may[/I] throttle back heavy users unless you notify them. Since my local video store closed down Netflix plus PPV is my prime sorce for newer movies, documentaries and older TV series. I only average 1 out of every 30-40 that play poorly. Delivery problems could well be with USPS more than Netflix. I do wish I could get the newest releases more quickly (but at the local video store I had the same problem). I got to see somethings I missed when they were on TV like War and Remembrance, Tour of Duty, Islands at War…
Could they be better? Sure but right now they are better than my Cable Company and my only open video store is 15 miles away (a long distance to drop off a video plus to pick a new ones I must go durring their hours) True the price can be as low as 2 for $4 for 48 hours (but the price of gas and possible late fees are a factor). . My Cable PPV is ~ $4 to rent one movie for 24hours ([I]outrageous![/I] and at times the feed is poor), and selection is very limited. Where you live the situation maybe different as your taste in videos.

If they don’t want to lose subscribers, what does BlockBuster think increasing the prices in such a short period of time will do? Hands up from all those who like price increases! :doh: Didn’t think so…