Blockbuster Bankrupt

I must be behind the times, I was told today that Blockbuster is going Bankrupt. How i found out is i said to the girls at my local BB why are’nt i getting a free movie coupon online this month and then she told me this news. As i use to pay 17.99 a month for 3 out at a time and in store swaps now i have to pay 7 bux more plus no more free coupons no more:sad:

I’ll get over it, lol

[quote=greengiant2315;1930827]I must be behind the times, I was told today that Blockbuster is going Bankrupt. How i found out is i said to the girls at my local BB why are’nt i getting a free movie coupon online this month and then she told me this news. As i use to pay 17.99 a month for 3 out at a time and in store swaps now i have to pay 7 bux more plus no more free coupons no more:sad:

I’ll get over it, lol[/quote]
I asked the same question and they told me , they do not have the free coupon anymore, I pay 24.99 for the max plan. No coupons, I used to use them for my son to try out games. :frowning:

[QUOTE=alan1476;1930834]I asked the same question and they told me , they do not have the free coupon anymore, I pay 24.99 for the max plan. No coupons, I used to use them for my son to try out games. :([/QUOTE]

I pay same as u but there Bankrupt was told. I think they will be around but get away with whatever money they owe. For me BB is about 2,000 feet away so i get them pretty bad for max movies a month. They let me in at 9:30am on tuesdays when they open up at 10. On tuesdays here ppl form a line like a movie theater to get new releases. If you did’nt have a club membership they get $4.25 each rental. In NY my friend says it’s more then that. We have a place called Movie Gallery here also there non new movies like 4 months old and older are only $2.25ea, But i would’nt pay that. I make sure i get 24.99 worth one way or another. I handed them 3 this morn there shud be 3 in afternoon tomorrow in mail box. There outlet they send them out to me is only like 20 miles away.

Blockbuster bankrupt? Why am I not surprised… But then, I’m picky.

I hadn’t heard this, and I sure would have thought it would have been even on the lousy mainstream news if it were true. BB was putting quite a major crimp in Netflix’s sales, but if this is true (at least it seems the free coupon part is), then…

[B]Blockbuster’s New Paradigm and Its Impact On Competitors - November 15, 2007[/B]

http://seekingalpha.com/article/54314-blockbuster-s-new-paradigm-and-its-impact-on-competitors

[B]Blockbuster reinventing itself - November 15, 2007[/B]

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Business/2007/11/15/blockbuster_reinventing_itself/9839/

[B]New CEO charts course to take Blockbuster into digital age - November 16, 2007[/B]

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jc4oyDYVtyouHTShIRPMzwNIO8gQ

:cool::cool:

Some very nice articles, platinumsword–although I cannot agree with somehow that rentals will become obsolete and that somehow ‘burn on demand’ must follow (that’s a non-sequitur). If anyone thinking ‘burn on demand’ will work, they could be in for a shock if they charge too much and use cheap media. We know a DVD at home is only $1/piece to make, so the industry pays that much or less, so if they try to shift to selling DVDs at the still $15-20 for a product worth only $1, can’t see that helping BB out either.

It’s for real this time:

I went to a Block buster once.

Never cared for their prices or their selection. I recognize that the potential for tons of movie rentals was there but given their selection it wouldn’t help me much. That and IMHO with Netflix’s Instant Watch service, even the in-store/online appeal for Blockbuster is fast fading.

It’s over a month later from the date of the msnbc article and I’ve not seen or heard any updates on Blockbuster going Bankrupt.

Well, they are certainly on the ropes and in no position to challenge Netflix. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stephen, welcome to the forum.

Please remember profanity is not allowed here, as I say that in case a moderator comes by and warns you. Doing that repeatedly could get you placed on restricted posting or even banned with enough instances.

It’s not guaranteed everyone will go for Internet downloads, as that’s only practical and desired more by those with higher end computers, graphic cards + LCD displays. Since I’ve got a nice-sized TV with a good player, I opt for the DVD rental by mail since I can watch it on my TV–and on a far larger screen with better quality to boot. So how much a rental company tries to balance physical rentals with online downloads is a delicate task and I don’t envy them trying to figure out how much of each they should offer.

I also used to go to blockbusters once,that was before they charged you more to hire a film than what you could buy it for,I won’t miss them ,haven’t been there for years so it won’t matter :sad::sad: :disagree:

[QUOTE=brk;2279651]I also used to go to blockbusters once,that was before they charged you more to hire a film than what you could buy it for,I won’t miss them ,haven’t been there for years so it won’t matter :sad::sad: :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Maybe now due to their financial mess, they need to rethink the no adult film policy they have :iagree:

[QUOTE=manoli;2281096]Maybe now due to their financial mess, they need to rethink the no adult film policy they have :iagree:[/QUOTE]

…and the films they do carry, aren’t they edited for for content?

Someone has to pay for that along the way somehow.

Serves them right for chasing out all the mom and pop independent rental shops. Next one to fall should be Home Depot.