BlindWrite quits immediately since v4.5.x

Hi,

Until recently I could use BlindWrite (up to at least v4.4b) on my old Win 95 (OSR2) PC with no problems.

I could write at 8x (to a non-BurnProof drive), even though the PC’s CPU is only a 75Mhz Pentium.

Now obviously that’s slower than the supposed minimum requirement for BW. But everything worked fine.

Since updating to 4.5.x (I think I tried 4.5.2, the latest 4.5.7 is the same), BlindRead still works fine. But BlindWrite quits immediately; it doesn’t even open its window.

Do the later versions of BW check CPU speed and quit if it is too slow? I think that’s a really bad idea, because slower systems are easily capable of writing CDs. If that is the case, can anyone help me in figuring out how to patch BW 4.5.7 to bypass the CPU speed check?

Does other CD imaging/backup software have artifically-imposed system requirements? I’m looking at Alcohol 120% at the moment, if I can’t get BW working again.

Regards,
– Mark

Because 95 is a way outdated system I would suggest you contact support directly, to fix this problem, send them an email and include all information you have included here, you should get a pretty quick response.

Hi,

I already tried contacting VSO Software a few weeks ago, but never received a reply. Hopefully someone from VSO will read this forum thread.

– Mark

Well, I have an answer for you but you will not like it… Blindwrite no longer supports windows 95, if you have gotten it to work up until now you’ve done good, but 95 is no longer supported.

Hmm, that really sucks.

With recent versions, I think the program checks whether it is running under Win 98 or later, and quits if not.

It would have been much better to show a dialog box like “This program is not guaranteed to work under Windows 95”, along with a “Don’t show this message again” checkbox. Then Win95 users could at least try to use it.

My guess is that apart from the version check, the current version of BlindWrite would actually work fine on properly-updated Win95 systems (i.e. Win95 OSR2 with latest IE).

Regards,
– Mark

no we don’t do test to prevent to run under 95. if it quits it is because of drivers or any component which doesn’t run under 95.
even our development tool ( delphi ) is not claiming anymore to build properly 95 binaries.
sorry … but you have to keep an older version.

Could you tell me what the final version of BlindWrite that worked under Win 95 is?

(BlindRead still seems to work okay, as I wrote before. So I’ll try installing the final working-on-Win95 version and copy that BW executable somewhere, then install the latest version and replace the BW executable.)

Regards,
– Mark

I don’t know … update your os is maybe easier no ?

(BlindRead still seems to work okay, as I wrote before. So I’ll try installing the final working-on-Win95 version and copy that BW executable somewhere, then install the latest version and replace the BW executable.)

I don’t believe this will work because it is tied to the patin-couffin engine it may end up looking for the wrong version.