BlindWrite .b5i/.b5t Image File Editor

Hello,

for some reason I need to edit .b5i Images as created by BlindWrite 5. As shown in UltraIso and Daemon Tools it’s possible to read out the data of those images without burning them onto a CDr first. Now I need to keep the file format of BlindWrite 5 but need to alter some files inside the Image. So I plan on an Editor for those Images. Where do I obtain the specs for the image file descriptor .b5t and the data container .b5i ?

Thanks,
sinaa

Well, as I know the BW5 image format is a propritary format by VSO so there isnt to much information on it. You can try MagicISO.
Editing any king of image, even ISO is very hard, you usually get errors. Your best bet is to extract the files and make a new image file or maybe try the old BW4 image format.

Are you planning on creating you own software to edit the BW5 image files?

I would extract them or convert them into another format (iso/bin) if that would help. Unluckily that ECD is from 1995 and in such a strange format that I never get it to run when making a new cd project. Even converting the whole thing into another image format results in an AudioCD.

Format is:

Session 1:
Audio Track 1

Audio Track 6
Session 2:
Data Track Mode 1

So this looks like a MixMode CD. Only that the data track is at the end. I could create a normal MixedMode CD with the data track in the first place. But then the whole ECD would not run the audio tracks anymore since the programs were coded to watch for the audio in the first tracks of the CD.
If I create a new CD with the data track at the end, the result is an AudioCD which does not start with the autorun routine of the data track anymore.

Boah this thing is driving me crazy. I already tried almost any tool to convert this thing into other formats. But then the result is always an AudioCD.

Any helpful comments are highly welcome.

What CD is it?

It’s an Enhanced CD from 1995. It’s silver-looking and contains some demo material for a well-known band. It was created to run some Macromedia and Quicktime VR stuff that was almost forgotten within the years. Now I wanted to backup that one before everything gets lost. We already lost a a few dozen of other CDr’s due to CRC errors and that. But I want to restaurate this one if possible in any way.

I’m a little confused now. Do you want to edit the BW5 image of a ECD or do you want to backup the ECD?

I want to do both.
First I want to do a backup of the ECD. (I actually made the image) Because of sector faults the image contains wrong data in some files. So after I did a backup of the ECD I need to edit the image file to fix the included errors. I do not want to edit the TOC, the file structure or the length of the files inside the image. All I want to do is to copy the binary info from the correct file and past it directly into the image. This is not possible since the data inside the image is not written in sequence. That is why I need an editor that knows how to fix wrong sectors inside the .b5i file

The problem is that the b5i images contain 2352 bytes per sector (or 2448, if you read the subchannels), some of this space being error correction data. Even if you changed the user data of the “damaged” sectors, you’d need to reconstruct the ECC/EDC fields. There are several programs that can do this well, but i think they will treat audio tracks as data tracks and make a huge mess…

IMO, the problem comes from the scratches, etc on your damaged disc, so it would be easier for you to make another image at the lowest speed using a “good” reader, using the “ISO” profile which stops and retries on read errors.

Yes that might the only option for me.
I will have to buy the most expensive CDr-drive out there and try to make a good image with that one.

The disc is absolutely new, no scratches or physical damages in any way.
It was created in 1995/96 and put into a custom cd-case. A few other copies were made, too, but are now absolutely unreadable. This last copy is the only one that let’s me read out 68-70% of it’s content. The errors then get more and more often. From on 72% of the disc each sector seems damaged. Even a hundret retries on my LG 4040B drive won’t help to get the right info out of that sector.

So what to do? I got the info to try BlindWrite 4.2.5 which would allow me to create .iso images. Well, I tried converting my .b5i image to an .iso which resulted in an AudioCD. But I gave it a try and let BlindWrite 4 create another image from my ECD in .iso format. It worked. The result is not an AudioCD and everything runs as intentioned (except for the damaged files of course.) I have not tested those so-called editors for .iso images yet but maybe I am in luck and it will work for me. I have heard bad news about editing .iso images. Since I won’t touch the toc or anything else than the binary content of the files it might turn out well. I hope.

So this thread turns into:
(1) Is the content of files inside an .iso image written in sequence? Then my hex editor would do everything I need. (I can answer this question, too, when I am back home in a few hours)
(2) What are good drives to read out damaged CDr’s?

Thanks.

In a plain ISO file (2048 bytes/sector), yes, the contents is written in sequence. The problem is that ISO files cannot handle audio tracks. So you will at least have to make an image in a format that stores 2352 bytes/sector.
If there are not too much damaged sectors, you can manually rebuild the defective sectors (they will be filled with 555555… by blindwrite) with an hex-editor. For info, see http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Information/ODDTech/ODDTech.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=8&type_no=3 , yellow book and green book paragraphs. The sync header is 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00, the next 3 bytes are the sector adress (MSF format), the next one is the track mode (01 or 02). If the track is mode2, put 00 00 08 00 00 00 08 00. Then here comes 2048 bytes from the file. Fill the rest of the sector with zeros.
After you’ll have done all that for each damaged sector, use an app like ECCregen or CDMage to rebuild the error correction data (the zeros you added), only in the sectors you modified (so that it doesnt mess up the audio tracks).

I wish you good luck, and lots of patience too…

Also i might add that BW4 does not create plain ISO files, but ISO@2352 files. I don’t know of any image editor that lets you open an image beginning with an audio track (they all look for the toc in sector 16, if it is not in the correct format they think it’s just an audio CD).

Thanks for all this info. I’m impressed by your knowledge about this whole topic. Now I’m sure that I will be able to reconstruct the whole ECD even it might take same time.

Thank you very much,
sinaa