Blew out a capacitor for my tv

vbimport

So the employee told me through the helpline that I may have a problem with my capacitor.

The problem I have is when I turn on my TV, is no image or sound the on switch blinks blue but I cant change the channel with the remote. The after a few minutes my tv will switch off.

The tv I have is a 50inch HD plasma made by LG. Could it really be the capacitors? I was thinking of repairing it myself since having it taken to a repair shop would cost me around £160 and having it repaired would cost even more.

capacitor problems are very common nowadays but it can be something else as well - not advisable to do it yourself.

50" HD plasma… hmm… not the easiest television to disassemble and repair.

My best advice is to get it to a qualified tv repair shop, get a price estimate, get a no-cure-no-pay agreement and get some warranty period (three months or something). It will cost ya some money, but better to have a decent repair than get lots of problems with your device forever.

Other thing: If they think it is a capacitor, then why is this not covered by the factory warranty? Seems the guy has seen a lot of capacitor problems with this model? Ask some more!

It is probably a capacitor in the switched mode power supply in the set as the chap pointed out, or a short somewhere in the circuitry causing the safety circuit to trip… There are “stock” faults with all electronic gizmo’s do some research and see if any “repair” boards have highlighted it.
Now as to the repair, unless you are a competent repair/electronics engineer this is a no no. The set is large and heavy and access to the component may be difficult or nigh impossible. There is the further complication of being able to obtain the correct part to replace the faulty one.
I have been repairing equipment for 50 years and find that the obtaining of the correct part is almost impossible for the layman these days in GB unless it is a common part sold by hobbyist shops.
I know that the cost of a professional repair is high but it may be the cheapest course in the long run, especially if you damage the circuit board during the repair.
Good luck.