'Blank' unreadable discs when writing with Blindwrite and Creative CD-RW RW1210E

vbimport

Hi there,

We have two PCs in our house that we use to back up our games on. One has an LG-GCE 8160B under WinXP Home that works for pretty much everything and the other a Creative CD-RW1210E under Win 98.

My problem is that everytime I try to back up on the Creative CD-RW1210E I get disks which are unreadable after they have been written. I’m not running a simulation and I’ve tried reading the CDs in DOS without any luck. The CDs aren’t blank, they have definitely been recorded on but are just coasters when finished. I’ve tried using Alcohol as well as Blindwrite but with the same results. There isn’t anything wrong with the drive as I can write data with NTI cd maker no probs. Below is a recent event log from a write with Blindwrite of Unreal Tournament 2003. I know that the latest patch for UT2003 removes the CD check so I don’t need to back up my copy this way but I can’t stand a problem that I can’t fix.

Anyway here’s that log…

----- Image verification started -----
HD image is OK
Sector: Bad headers 0 - Bad Edc 1 - Weak 0 - Status 0
File systems: Volumes 2 - files 1272 - folders 70
Volume size 651186 boot 0 Vol ID UT2003_CD1 - 19/09/02 20:36:00 Status 1
----- Image verification ended -----
Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Patin-couffin version 11 in use
Blindwrite Version 4.2.5.35
----- CD DEVICE INFO START OF REPORT -----
Cd Unit report started at 17/05/03 23:34:22

VendorID : “CREATIVE”
UnitId : “CD-RW RW1210E”
FwID : “2000/12/18 18:41”
FwDate : “LCS6”
Drivers : 00000000/00000000/000000000000001D
Speeds : 32/12/10/0
Bsize : 2048
Flags : 00000

end of CD Unit report
----- CD DEVICE INFO END OF REPORT -----
Unit 0:0:0 - CREATIVE CD-RW RW1210E LCS6
Speed x4
VolumeId : “UT2003_CD1”
Hash : FC57FC9AC4DFA3120C94155ECFF7D52FFAC96EAA
HD image “UT2003_CD1.BWT”
Writing mode : DAO PW
No subcodes in file. they’ll be generated
Execute OPC failed : Code 05 20 00 [Illegal request, Invalid command opcode]
Physical CD descriptor (BWA) file found.
729 dual sectors will be added to recreate lower sector densities
Sectors read : 326322
Sectors built: 150
CD is complete

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jack_Crowe

hmmm :confused:

it could be possible the disks are not being closed but i dont think thats the problem.

try closeing the disk you never know.

WOW

i missed this part the first time i read your post [am i bad] well anyway.

----- Image verification started -----
HD image is OK
Sector: Bad headers 0 - Bad Edc 1 - Weak 0 - Status 0

BAD EDC CHECK : i think your burner is dieing.

Execute OPC failed : Code 05 20 00 [Illegal request, Invalid command opcode]
Physical CD descriptor (BWA) file found.
729 dual sectors will be added to recreate lower sector densities
Sectors read : 326322
Sectors built: 150
CD is complete

EXECUTE OPC FAILED> : your burners optical lazor is faulty.
i would say its about ready for dieing on you .

sorry to bring yout he bad news …

you could try UPDATEING the firmware if that dont work then i dunno.

Hi ViRuS2k,

Thanks for your reply and advice :slight_smile:

I think you might be right about the drive, looks like it’s time to upgrade this PC.

I thought about flashing the drive as it’s apparently a rebadged Lite-ON LTR-12101B as there are no firmware upgrades provided by Creative for this drive but I’ve searched around and can’t find any info on this procedure. Any ideas? I might give it a go before I bin the drive.

It’s the odd fact that the drive writes fine with NTI CD maker and not with Blindwrite or Alcohol that’s really weird. That’ll keep me scratching my head for a while.

Anyway I guess it’s time to get my wallet out! I think I’ll go for a Lite-on next.

Thanks again :),
Jack_Crowe

Originally posted by Jack_Crowe
[B]Hi ViRuS2k,

Thanks for your reply and advice :slight_smile:

I think you might be right about the drive, looks like it’s time to upgrade this PC.

I thought about flashing the drive as it’s apparently a rebadged Lite-ON LTR-12101B as there are no firmware upgrades provided by Creative for this drive but I’ve searched around and can’t find any info on this procedure. Any ideas? I might give it a go before I bin the drive.

It’s the odd fact that the drive writes fine with NTI CD maker and not with Blindwrite or Alcohol that’s really weird. That’ll keep me scratching my head for a while.

Anyway I guess it’s time to get my wallet out! I think I’ll go for a Lite-on next.

Thanks again :),
Jack_Crowe [/B]

If its clearly a Lite-ON LTR-12101B as you said then you should be able to flash it with a 12101B liteon Offical firmware.

But you will have to do it via Dos mode.

check out the sticky link in this forum for information and firmware for your drive.

let me know how you get on.