Blank News Page

For the longest time now, I’ve experienced the main News page coming up blank for some reason. This has been the case for me under both XP Pro SP2 as well as XP Pro SP3. I’m using IE 6 with all current updates. There is no problem using FireFox. Attached is a snapshot of what the page looks like for me.

You have some program installed that blocks advertises?

No, I have no such programs on my system. I don’t even use any antivirus software for that matter.

May I also add that this is a clean SP3 integrated install of XP that isn’t more than a couple weeks old now.

No problems here using FF 2.0.0.14. And i just checked with IE7 and it works fine also.

[QUOTE=Bob;2065176]No problems here using FF 2.0.0.14. And i just checked with IE7 and it works fine also.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the page works fine for me using FF also. Seems to be specific with IE 6 I guess. Anybody else see this with IE6?

I just verified the problem on two other computers so I know I can’t be the only one experiencing this problem. Those other two computers have IE 6 as well.

Could it be a router with an integrated firewall or some other component in your network that causes this effect?

I just tested with an IE6 (Win2K though) and everything looks fine there.

Thanks for the reply on this Liggy.

I just bypassed my Linksys WRT54GS router completely using a direct PPoE session (using XP’s built-in PPoE client) with my DSL modem and I still get the same issue. I do not use any utilities such as firewalls, anti-spyware, anti-virus or any such 3rd party security utilities of the sort. I really have no idea why I’m having this problem. It just seems like a problem that lies within the site’s code somewhere. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I’d like to add that none of the other sections (or Tabs) on cdfreaks gives me this trouble. It is specifically the News section only. All other Tabs display the contents just fine using IE6

Even with XP running an IE6 at work everything looks fine here. :confused:

Without running network traces on your PC (which is way too much work anyway) I have no idea how we could find out what’s going wrong. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2065636]Even with XP running an IE6 at work everything looks fine here. :confused:

Without running network traces on your PC (which is way too much work anyway) I have no idea how we could find out what’s going wrong. :([/QUOTE]

Well, thanks for your input on this matter… it’s much appreciated even though we weren’t able to solve the issue. It’s very strange, I was able to reproduce the problem on 3 entirely different systems. One system which is based on an nForce2 chipset, another with nForce 4 chipset, and lastly… an ancient KT266A VIA chipset. All systems use dedicated graphics based on Nvidia GeForce chips. All 3 systems are AMD based processors.

I even tried switching my desktop resolution from 1280 X 1024 85Hz to 1600 X 1200 75Hz and it made no difference. I’ll also add that all three systems are using a variety of nVidia display drivers… to be more specific, versions range from the 7x.xx series on one machine, 9x.xx on another, and 17x.xx on another.

I really don’t know what else to try.

[QUOTE=plexdude;2066094]
I really don’t know what else to try.[/QUOTE]

Hi Plexdude, I found a similar problem on one of our test systems (I’m a cdfreaks developer) I will try to solve this problem as soon as possible.

What version of Internet explorer do you have exactly (click help -> about internet explorer) ? On the computer where it goes wrong here has version 6.0.3790.3959 with service pack 2 installed.

UPDATE:
it should be fixed now, can you please confirm?!

Thank you Erpenator… whatever you did has finally fixed the problem at my end. :slight_smile:

I had a strong feeling that the problem wasn’t on my end. Thanks again!

My exact IE version is: 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111