Blank Media Testing.. please help

vbimport

hi ya all… and a ikkle introdution from newbie me :D. Soul from the UK hoping to gain more knowledge and share what ( little at the moment ) i know lol

anyhow

stuggling to find a piece of software that can check blank media … DVD’s mainly for errors.i brought what i believe to be a bad batch that nero refuse to pass simulation. the question to myself is… is it my system/software im using or is it the disk.unfortunatly on limited income at the mo so any, preferably freeware suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i also have a couple of recorded discs from many moons ago that wont read. so if it also does recorded media all the better.

thanks for taking the time to read my first post and fingers crossed for a solution

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Here at CDF we use very often CD-DVD speed to test burned discs, but there are also other softwares like KProbe (specific for liteon drives) and Plextools (specific for Plextor drives).

You can start reading the dedicated forum :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/

Welcome to CDF! :slight_smile:

What burner do you have?

As a couple of burners are able to check discs before burning, and several can check after burning (with CD-DVD Speed, KProbe2 etc).

Also, certain makes of drive can check CDR for quality, too.

So, if you can tell us what burner you have, that’d be great to start with, then advice can be tailored to your needs. :wink:

Edit: Hehe, beaten by the Italian Mod :bigsmile:

wow fast response geno888 and many thanks… im using an LG writer

im away to check out the thread you suggested and fingers crossed hey? lol

catch you around :slight_smile:

lol arachne, yup my Europian counterpart was too fast for you today lol

i have an LG writer. device manger calls it HL-DT_ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N if thats any help to you. its a new drive on a freshly installed system.

many thanks

Uh-oh. LG writers, while being brilliant burners, don’t support quality checking before or after burning :sad:

Best advice I can give, is look out for sales at PC World or Staples (yes, I’m from the UK too hehe) on Verbatim discs, and you shouldn’t go far wrong.

In fact, Staples have a sale on now - BOGOF on 50 packs of Verbatim DVD media :smiley:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2003359]Uh-oh. LG writers, while being brilliant burners, don’t support quality checking before or after burning :sad:

Best advice I can give, is look out for sales at PC World or Staples (yes, I’m from the UK too hehe) on Verbatim discs, and you shouldn’t go far wrong.

In fact, Staples have a sale on now - BOGOF on 50 packs of Verbatim DVD media :D[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2003359]Uh-oh. LG writers, while being brilliant burners, don’t support quality checking before or after burning :sad:

In fact, Staples have a sale on now - BOGOF on 50 packs of Verbatim DVD media :D[/QUOTE]

The fluff knows her stuff! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2003342]Edit: Hehe, beaten by the Italian Mod :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:p:p:p

:flower:

thank you archne, off to buy some of the recomended discs. if they work i should imagine that i do have a bad batch or naff quality of infiniti white tops ( brought because of the what video best buy some time ago ).

let you know the outcome :slight_smile:

shame about the pre burn quality checking on my drive. maybe i should invest in a second one that will support checks for future use.

btw geno… OMG!!! the wealth of information here… thought i was a novice but now feel like i hold as much data as the media that wont store… completely useless lol. think i’ll be reading for some time to come

Hi [B]Soul[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[quote=Soul;2003329]stuggling to find a piece of software that can check blank media … DVD’s mainly for errors.i brought what i believe to be a bad batch that nero refuse to pass simulation. the question to myself is… is it my system/software im using or is it the disk.unfortunatly on limited income at the mo so any, preferably freeware suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote] Nero CD-DVD Speed a.k.a. CDSpeed is freeware and can scan for parity errors on optical media on a number of drives that support quality scanning.

www.cdspeed2000.com

[quote=Soul;2003347]i have an LG writer. device manger calls it HL-DT_ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N if thats any help to you. its a new drive on a freshly installed system.[/quote] The LG GSA-H55N can perform quality scanning with CDSpeed (see here) but very little is known about whether it’s a trustworthy scanner. The registry setting used in newer versions of Nero CD-DVD Speed has moved to a different location than listed in my linked post, it’s now in:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
“Blocked”=“SAMSUNG,TSST,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR”

where the value of “Blocked” should be changed to a non-empty string that doesn’t contain the value HL-DT-ST, e.g.:

“Blocked”=“SAMSUNG,TSST,PLEXTOR”

I reiterate that the scanning behaviour of this drive is not well known, and it may or may not be a useful quality scanner.

[QUOTE=Soul;2003386]thank you archne, off to buy some of the recomended discs. if they work i should imagine that i do have a bad batch or naff quality of infiniti white tops ( brought because of the what video best buy some time ago ).

let you know the outcome :slight_smile:

shame about the pre burn quality checking on my drive. maybe i should invest in a second one that will support checks for future use.[/QUOTE]

Drage has added some info that I wasn’t aware of about your LG :slight_smile:

However, Verbies should do the trick nicely anyway, provided you burn the 16x ones at 8x-12x (which I would advise for any 16x media, not just Verbatim).

If you’re considering a second drive for quality scanning, BenQ can do tests before and after burning, as well as scan CDR media after burning (if you can find one), and LiteOn are excellent DVD scanners (after burning). :slight_smile:

Moved to [I]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/I] forum.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2003422]Moved to [I]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/I] forum.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Imkidd :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2003390]Drage has added some info that I wasn’t aware of about your LG :slight_smile:

However, Verbies should do the trick nicely anyway, provided you burn the 16x ones at 8x-12x (which I would advise for any 16x media, not just Verbatim).

If you’re considering a second drive for quality scanning, BenQ can do tests before and after burning, as well as scan CDR media after burning (if you can find one), and LiteOn are excellent DVD scanners (after burning). :)[/QUOTE]

@soul

If u want to involve whit scanning, ull notice in due time that burning Quality media such as verbatim, tayo at 16x=certified speed these days WILL do CUT [U][B]TOTAL[/B][/U] [U]ammount[/U] of ERROS by HALF !!! But i totaly agree whit arachne when he say to not burn under 8x speed!!

Ive tried it just to compare quality burning at 6X and 4x even on verbatims and the scans aswell as playback wos just TERRIBLE.

edit: one most important thing, FREE UP as MUch resources u can before burning. I.e closing unneccesarry services to free up ram and such defrag source drive etc…

i hope u take that into conideration,

reetkevers,

excellent stuff… been on a back up burning frenzy … yayyyyy
those verm discs did the trick

now to do the dragemester registery thing and give that a pop :smiley:

also searching the net for one of those benq drives. (only got one drive in at the mo so i can use my LG for a reading drive …

many thanks folks. priceless advice by all