Blank media opinion please

vbimport

I have been using Memorex and Sony CD’s DVD’s and DVD DL 8.5 GB, and I have had pretty good results, however, just because I haven’t had many problems does not mean that I can’t get better media for my projects. Can anybody let me know (in their own opinion) what they think is the best product in each (CD\DVD\DVD DL) and the best place (least expensive) to acquire them. Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

DL DVDR: with absolute certitude, Verbatim. No doubt about that. Made in Singapore 8X DL Verbatim-branded blanks (MKM003). Made in Taiwan MKM003 is too recent to trigger sound comments IMO.

SL DVDR: check the sticky threads/polls about members preferences. :wink: - my personal preference is also Verbatim, the 16X +R, preferably the printable ones.
IMO the “best of the best of the best” are the Archival Grade Verbatim 8X -R discs (extremely stable and scratchproof), but they come with quite a handsome price. :doh:

CDR: with absolute certitude, Taiyo Yuden CDRs. No doubt about that. Either unbranded from a reputable TY dealer, or Verbatim-branded “pastel” CDRs, which actually are… Taiyo Yuden. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102733]DL DVDR: with absolute certitude, Verbatim. No doubt about that. Made in Singapore 8X DL Verbatim-branded blanks (MKM003). Made in Taiwan MKM003 is too recent to trigger sound comments IMO.

SL DVDR: check the sticky threads/polls about members preferences. :wink: - my personal preference is also Verbatim, the 16X +R, preferably the printable ones.
IMO the “best of the best of the best” are the Archival Grade Verbatim 8X -R discs (extremely stable and scratchproof), but they come with quite a handsome price. :doh:

CDR: with absolute certitude, Taiyo Yuden CDRs. No doubt about that. Either unbranded from a reputable TY dealer, or Verbatim-branded “pastel” CDRs, which actually are… Taiyo Yuden. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

While I understand the use of and need of threads/polls and the sometimes annoyance of some off us asking what seems to be in the archives, anyone that has any technology of any kind knows that, everything changes in a matter of a few days, so I ask the question for that reason. That is why, although I have looked in there (the threads/polls) I ask. What may have been top yesterday might be at the bottom today.:slight_smile:

With DL, Verbatim x2.4 and x8 disc’s Made in Singapore.

CD-R’s i would also say Taiyo Yuden, used meny including maxell, mediastar, verbatim pastel and verbatim extra protection brand. I must note though that of the 4 brands there only the pastel are always ty the others i knew what i was looking for.

Verbatim MCC CDR’s are pretty decent as well.

DVD Wise i have used TY x8, Verbatim x8, Verbatim Medidiscs, Verbatim Hardcoat,Verbatim x16(mit) and a couple of x8 +R TY’s all of which i have found to be very good.

[QUOTE=Clunker;2102756]What may have been top yesterday might be at the bottom today.:)[/QUOTE]:disagree: our members here clearly tend to take consistency in consideration, which is why Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are consistently on top, rather than (for instance) HP, Maxell, Sony, Panasonic…, which are less consistenly reliable, though their media have been (and still can be) most excellent at given moments in time. :wink:

These polls tend to reflect more or less constant quality, rather than the “hot stuff of the moment”. For the latter, you’d need to visit some other forum… :bigsmile:

Besides, our latest (2008) polls have been opened just a few weeks ago…

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102733]DL DVDR: with absolute certitude, Verbatim. No doubt about that. Made in Singapore 8X DL Verbatim-branded blanks (MKM003). Made in Taiwan MKM003 is too recent to trigger sound comments IMO. [/QUOTE]

While I am concerned with consistency, it is more important I get information that you gave as to the Made in Taiwan MKM003. This does not seem to be in the archives. That is what I want to know.:iagree:

Francksoy are the Archival Grade Verb’s really that stable ?

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2102771]Francksoy are the Archival Grade Verb’s really that stable ?[/QUOTE]I’m extremely confident in the dye used, the same dye than regular MCC02 RG20, which has shown to be one of the most (if not THE most) stable MID in accelerated aging tests AND has only great reports from end users. :bow:

Add to this the gold top layer (which unlike with other “gold” media is not the reflective layer, but actually protects the silver reflective layer from corrosion), fantastic scratchproof performance, and obvious superior bonding and manufacturing (these discs feel incredibly well made!), and you have the perfect disc in my book.

Well, except… the price :doh:, that I would have found 100% acceptable just 4 years ago, but now I’d prefer to burn 4 regular (premium) discs for the same price… and probably higher security: with a single disc, any hard damage is the end of the world.

Nevertheless, I think they are the very best around at present, if quality, compatibility and stability are the main concern, and price is not an issue.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102818]I’m extremely confident in the dye used, the same dye than regular MCC02 RG20, which has shown to be one of the most (if not THE most) stable MID in accelerated aging tests AND has only great reports from end users. :bow:

Add to this the gold top layer (which unlike with other “gold” media is not the reflective layer, but actually protects the silver reflective layer from corrosion), fantastic scratchproof performance, and obvious superior bonding and manufacturing (these discs feel incredibly well made!), and you have the perfect disc in my book.

Well, except… the price :doh:, that I would have found 100% acceptable just 4 years ago, but now I’d prefer to burn 4 regular (premium) discs for the same price… and probably higher security: with a single disc, any hard damage is the end of the world.

Nevertheless, I think they are the very best around at present, if quality, compatibility and stability are the main concern, and price is not an issue.[/QUOTE]

I for myself, am not concerned with cost. I have family tree and tree records to put to disk, and they will be sent to family members. However, can you tell me where to get the Archival Grade in the 8.5 GB?:bow:

[QUOTE=Clunker;2102834]can you tell me where to get the Archival Grade in the 8.5 GB?:bow:[/QUOTE]I can’t… AFAIK, they don’t exist! :frowning:

DL media will probably never have an “archival grade” (apart maybe from possible “snake oil” marketing campagins…) as the technology itself, due to physical complications, is less robust than SL.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102818]I’m extremely confident in the dye used, the same dye than regular MCC02 RG20, which has shown to be one of the most (if not THE most) stable MID in accelerated aging tests AND has only great reports from end users. :bow:[/QUOTE]

I still have some MCC02RG20 disc’s in the form of just over half a 50 spindle, 30 Live-It, 8 Medidisc’s and about 15 Hardcoat’s and i have liked these disc’s for some time, shame you can’t get the spindle’s no more :frowning:

I will defo’s get some of the gold disc’s though, although i think i will only use them on certain items.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102870]I can’t… AFAIK, they don’t exist! :frowning:

DL media will probably never have an “archival grade” (apart maybe from possible “snake oil” marketing campagins…) as the technology itself, due to physical complications, is less robust than SL.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would explain why I can’t find DL Archival Grade Verbatim. Any ideas? I need something that can take the same punishment as Archival Grade.:doh:

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2102884]I still have some MCC02RG20 disc’s in the form of just over half a 50 spindle, 30 Live-It, 8 Medidisc’s and about 15 Hardcoat’s and i have liked these disc’s for some time, shame you can’t get the spindle’s no more :frowning:

I will defo’s get some of the gold disc’s though, although i think i will only use them on certain items.[/QUOTE]

Can you suggest any?:smiley:

[QUOTE=Clunker;2102885]Any ideas? I need something that can take the same punishment as Archival Grade.:doh:[/QUOTE]You mean DL? As previously mentioned, as far as I know, this doesn’t exist. And probably never will. Unless I’m mistaken, Yoda mentioned only SL discs.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2102884]I still have some MCC02RG20 disc’s in the form of just over half a 50 spindle, 30 Live-It, 8 Medidisc’s and about 15 Hardcoat’s and i have liked these disc’s for some time, shame you can’t get the spindle’s no more :([/quote]In a way, the Archival Grade are in the same tradition as these: superior, scratchproof MCC 02RG20. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102891]You mean DL? As previously mentioned, as far as I know, this doesn’t exist. And probably never will. Unless I’m mistaken, Yoda mentioned only SL discs.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so what is the best to use for long term storage and durability? In DL that is?:confused: That is what I need to know.:smiley:

[QUOTE=Clunker;2102898]Ok, so what is the best to use for long term storage and durability? In DL that is?:confused: That is what I need to know.:D[/QUOTE]Yoda and I have already replied to this question, in our first respective posts here. :slight_smile:

You’ll find that most members here will give the same recommendation for DL.

But DL is probably not great for long term. Have it your way, of course.

I did mention dl disc’s in my first post but it was only one line and it was a recommendation for mis verbs. But i only use them for 360 backups and the occasional movie backup. As a means of long term archival i really couldn’t say i don’t think they have been tested enough to know, i think it’s probably better to just use SL disc’s for long term backups, they have been around alot longer and have been tested more.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102899]Yoda and I have already replied to this question, in our first respective posts here. :slight_smile:

You’ll find that most members here will give the same recommendation for DL.

But DL is probably not great for long term. Have it your way, of course.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the MKM003? Cause I can’t find them either.:confused:

MKM003 are Verbatim DVD+R DL x8 disc’s. MKM001 are Verbatim DVD+R DL x2.4 disc’s.