Blank Media Discs

I have used up a spindle of Taiyo Yuden discs which I found for the most part good. I did have some coasters-not sure why but I need to buy some more and was wondering about the TDK discs?? I know that it’s important to buy good quality and am thinking if anyone has tried another type they were just as happy with or is it best to stick to the top quality even though as mentioned, I did get quite a few coasters with the Taiyo Yuden discs.
I burn at 8X all the time so that wasn’t the problem…
Thanks,
Angie :slight_smile:

I bought the Japanese Taiyo Yuden discs from www.intactmedia.com.au
with no problem and paid around $80 for a spindle of 100 and I have seen them much cheaper at Rima.com
are these comparing apples with apples please or?
because I can’t believe the price difference!! Also, I bought the 16X but burnt at 8X and was wondering about the difference between all the burning speeds and which was best to buy?
Thanks
Angie

About prices, I can’t help.

About the speeds:

• it’s difficult to find 8X TY media at present, it’s being totally phased out. What is still on the shelves is old stock. But if you can find some, 8X rated TY media have a better overall reputation than their 16X rated blanks.

• Burning your current 16X rated TY @8X is probably the best thing you can do for quality, though depending on your burner (please mention it for further help :wink: ), @12X burns may be just as good as @8X burns. :slight_smile:

For an alternative to Taiyo Yuden, the only widely available brands that are worth mentioning at all are Verbatim, Sony and Maxell (only the premium, special Maxell stuff like the Proteks). Forget about the rest, too inconsistent or not worth a try (specially if you can find Verbatim easily) or too scarsely available or too expensive.

TDK used to be great and I was a fan, now it’s down at the Memorex level, don’t bother.

What DVD burner(s) do you have? Sometimes the “best” disc depends on your burner.

Personally I would no longer recommend TDK, but rather Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and perhaps Sony.

Did you buy some form of discount Taiyo Yuden (e.g. valueline)?

Did you buy discs that were not advertised as Taiyo Yuden, but which are reported as Taiyo Yuden media codes when you check the discs with your software?

The reason I’m asking is to determine if you have fake or low quality Taiyo Yudens.

Did you burn your discs at a high speed (higher than 12x)?
Sometimes you’ll get inferior results at the highest burning speeds.
8x is usually a safe burning speed with 8x/16x rated DVD media on modern desktop DVD burners.

[QUOTE=angie.j;2195472]I have used up a spindle of Taiyo Yuden discs which I found for the most part good. I did have some coasters-not sure why but I need to buy some more and was wondering about the TDK discs?? [/QUOTE]

TDK DVDs, if made in United Arab Emirates, can be a very good medi. But they are hard to find, particularly outside Europe.
Verbatim is the safest choice, their media are rather cheap and usually easily available.

8x TY media is still in production and should be easy to find.
No news at all that 8x is phased out. The latest news i have is that the 8x line got expanded for a new customer.

[QUOTE=koba;2195558]8x TY media is still in production and should be easy to find.
No news at all that 8x is phased out. [/QUOTE]I’m definitly OK to stand corrected, but then I wonder why YUDEN000T02 and TYG02 are nowhere to be found in the usual online stores I’m investigating, while YUDEN000T03 and TYG03 are plentiful. Maybe it’s an Europe thing or I’m just being unlucky. :confused:

A “new customer”? Any name?

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2195563]I’m definitly OK to stand corrected, but then I wonder why YUDEN000T02 and TYG02 are nowhere to be found in the usual online stores I’m investigating, while YUDEN000T03 and TYG03 are plentiful. Maybe it’s an Europe thing or I’m just being unlucky. :confused:

A “new customer”? Any name?[/QUOTE]

T02 and TYG02 plentiful in UK stores such as svp.co.uk

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2195599]T02 and TYG02 plentiful in UK stores such as svp.co.uk[/QUOTE]Is that new? :confused: - for a veeeery long time, T02s were not available anymore at SVP.

Actually the unvailability of T02 was what pushed me to switch entirely to MCC004!

Well, looks like I missed a train and that 8X TY is back, good news. :cool: (at least for T02s, as personally I don’t like TYG02 that much, shrug)

Just checked, the only T02s available at SVP are still the photo printables, as usual. Where’s a source for regular T02s?

Sorry, I didn’t know you wanted the shiny silver ones. Not seen them anywhere for a long while. I’d prefer to have the printable’s rather than the shiny silver ones anyway.

And I’ve only just read you sig, I wondered who you were with all those posts :doh:

Shiny’s available here:

http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html

and here:

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/dvdr-media-8x-dvdr-media-c-1_15_35.html

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2195674]I’d prefer to have the printable’s rather than the shiny silver ones anyway.[/quote]I get it, it’s just that the price difference make me prefer the Verbs if I want printables.

I wondered who you were with all those posts :doh:
He he… :wink:

Printable discs are good whether you have a disc printer or not - if you have, great, if not, you still have a nice unbranded surface to write on with a marker. The only time you really don’t want inkjet printables IMO is if you’re using some class of thermal printing equipment.

And yes, I had thought Taiyo Yuden 8x media was out of production for a while but I’ve seen YUDEN000 T02s on digitalpromo, SVP, Rima and a few other places, which I wouldn’t expect if it had been out of production for a long time.
Edit: for the moment I would not recommend TYG02 as some of mine from a Datasafe Pro 10 Pack have started to show unsatisfactory results in scanning (8 months old and deteriorating, according to my BenQ, more details later)

Hi and thanks for your replies…I bought my Taiyo Yuden from www.intactmedia.com.au
They are based in Sydney Australia and are the real deal from Japan. I burn at 8X and my burner is ATAPI DVDA DH20A3S9P56 (Ide). Intact Media are selling other types of discs and they have a good web site but not sure if I am paying too high a price or if this is standard. I emailed rima.com because their prices were way better but they have responded that they do not ship to Australia.
Thanks heaps.

Hi and thanks again for your kind help.
My burner is ATAPI DVDA DH20A3S9P56 (Ide) and I bought the discs online at www.intactmedia.com.au
They are in Australia and I burn at 8X. I think I did see them advertising the 8X and wasn’t sure which to buy as this is all very new to me and I’m still learning.
I will go and have another look though.
Thanks a lot.

Sorry, this bit didn’t make it through…but, what is the difference please between buying +DVD or -DVD and all the other information with numbers and letters that confuse me?
Appreciate any clarification as I am learning!
Cheers, and thanks again.

And I also am trying to understand the difference between minus DVD and plus DVD (like to learn new things even though this is an old thing!) just want to get my head around all the numbers and signs, printable, shiny, etc…is there a manual or something that clarifies in simple English I wonder?
Thanks…Angie

Here are some primers:
Read first: The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R
What is DVD?
DVD Demistified: [4.3] What about recordable DVD: DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R?

As for the types of disc finishes, they are what they are indicated as - shiny is just shiny, inkjet printable IS inkjet printable, etc. If there is any confusion, you could always ask the forum members for specifics if you need any help. :wink: