Blank DVD-R is not detected by drive (Asus DRW-1608P2S)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Asus DRW-1608P2S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello everyone!

Well, I don’t know if it’s hardware or software issue…
I’m using TDK DVD-Rs for some time to store my photos. I can’t say bad thing about them. Same for my burner [Asus DRW-1608P2S, firmware 1.41].
But today, I inserted blank TDK DVD-R and… Nero [version 7.5.7.0] said that disc is not ready. I haven’t installed anything new lately… Well, maybe except updates and Service Pack 2 via Windows Update [I’m using Windows 2003 Server]. I tried installing ASPI drivers… But that didn’t help. Note that burner reads those DVDs easily and detects CDs correctly. Haven’t tried with DVD-RW or DVD-RAM. My motherboard is Gigabyte P35-DS3L with only one IDE channel. I have HDD connected as master and burner connected as slave.
Is there anything that can be done with that?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Small update: at first I thought that those DVDs are defected because I found old blank DVD-R by TDK and it’s detected properly. My friend’s Samsung drive detects both without a problem though…

[QUOTE=aumortis;2151593]Small update: at first I thought that those DVDs are defected because I found old blank DVD-R by TDK and it’s detected properly. My friend’s Samsung drive detects both without a problem though…[/QUOTE]

Well FWIW the ‘old’ TDK could very well be a different disc (a different manufacturer) than the ‘new’. TDK at one time actually made discs… not anymore. It is also not unusual for older drives to have problems with newer media.

I always use TYG02 discs (Taiyo Yuden 8X Premium Line). They basically work in almost ever burner, old and new, and are great for those folks afraid of firmware updates.