Blank DVD +R for archival purposes

I am looking for a good make of DVD +R for archival purposes. 10 years or more would be great. Any suggestions?

Hi [B]tedconnor[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I have moved your thread to a more suitable forum.

• Moved thread from [I]Blank DVD Media Tests[/I] subforum to [I]Blank Media[/I] forum * *

Try having a look in these polls:

[B]Which DVD+R media is best for long-term storage?[/B]

[B]Which DVD-R media is best for long-term storage?[/B]

Personally, I’d go for Verbatim 16x DVD+R media and Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media if you want DVD+R.

If you want DVD-R, there are some high-quality archival media available such as e.g. Verbatim MediDisc 8x DVD-R and Verbatim UltraLife Gold Archival Grade 8x DVD-R.

It’s a good idea to save important stuff on at least two different (types of) media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1959535]
Personally, I’d go for Verbatim 16x DVD+R media and Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media if you want DVD+R.[/QUOTE]

I second that :iagree: (and also the more than one media type thingy)…I don’t really use -R all that much so can’t comment there.

Oh, and welcome to CDF! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1959559]I second that :iagree: (and also the more than one media type thingy)…I don’t really use -R all that much so can’t comment there.

Oh, and welcome to CDF! :)[/QUOTE]

ill third that lol … cause the bottom line after cutting through all the bs on these forums… it usually boils down to Verbatim (DVD+R 16x made in Taiwan) or Taiyo Yuden (DVD+R 8x, which you can get from rima.com)

on a side note… i do have some DVD-R 8x Taiyo Yuden discs that i got from RIMA.COM and they generally burn well so far (cant comment on long run yet cause i only burned some of these a month or two ago tops and i usually would consider a year minimum to see if theres any disc degradation to get a general ball park figure on how long they will last) but my main complain about the -R versions is they do tend to have dust issues (dust sticks to the disc surface much easier) with them noticeably more than most common discs you can buy… but the +R version i was told that those are like most discs (in other words dust aint like a magnet to the disc surface)

but in general ALL the TY (Taiyo Yuden) 8x versions (which u can get from rima.com) are considered some of the best discs out there overall… and it’s “likely” that these discs will last 10 years or more based on stuff i been reading on these forums… cause some people have the older TY discs (4x ones) and they showed scans from several years ago and they still look pretty much like they did from day 1, hence the discs will last a long time pretty much.

How do Maxell Plus dvd+R compare to the Verbatim or the TY’s?

[QUOTE=backingup;1959708]How do Maxell Plus dvd+R compare to the Verbatim or the TY’s?[/QUOTE]

I hear they are hit and miss because they are using multiple different manufacturers lately. You can’t be sure what you might get.

@ Original Poster:

CMC MAG E01 under the HP Brand can be quite good discs, they’re said to be stable. I have had no problems with mine that are almost a year old now. No one has really had DVD+R for 10 years or more yet but as others have said, Verbatim and TY are quite trust worthy. I agree with Drage Mester’s post also.

What about Fry’s Electronics GQ brand media? I did a scan on one of them, Sony Media Corp. is the maker.

[QUOTE=tedconnor;1959526]I am looking for a good make of DVD +R for archival purposes. [B]10 years or more would be great.[/B] Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I doubt this is possible without re-burning.

[QUOTE=chef;1959777]I doubt this is possible without re-burning.[/QUOTE]

And why’s that? I got myself some MCC002 a while ago, they’d been sitting on the shelves for years at a store and they still burnt great.

Many of my old TYG01 still work and scan perfectly. This is already 4+ years. Why wouldn’t they last 10 or more years?

Good media seems to be burnable/usable no matter who old it is. Good media still has not shown degradation. Only Ritek G05 and a handful of other crappy discs have gone bad.

This is a good thread, with useful info. Thanks for the responses. two questions: - Best buy has 8x “movie” dvd+r Verbatim. How would those compare to 16x verbatim dvd+R for archive purposes.

• Anyone know where Emtec gold dvd+R can be ordered at a reasonable price from the US?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=backingup;1959933]This is a good thread, with useful info. Thanks for the responses. two questions: - Best buy has 8x “movie” dvd+r Verbatim. How would those compare to 16x verbatim dvd+R for archive purposes.

• Anyone know where Emtec gold dvd+R can be ordered at a reasonable price from the US?
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

EMTEC/HISPACE/MPO gold are as good as inexistant in the US.
If you really are interested in it then you probably end up buying them expensive at Feurio’s webstore and pay extreme high shipping costs.
Gold media in the US is limited to the MAM-A made stuff which isn’t that great and the verbatim silver and gold media which so far has not been able to live up it’s hype. Verbatim is however -R, MAM-A does have a +R version.

Is MPO worth it with the sky high shipping costs of feurio.
Well the media itself allready has a questionable pricing compared to the competition.
Ok it’s very good media but it does have a price for which you normally can get easilly get 4 pieces of also good media. Which makes it quite questionable. I’m talking about a combination of Verbatim (hard coat), Maxell (hard coat), Plextor (TY) and HP (CMC Magnetics) were this combination would be cheaper as the MPO disc’s.
Since I do not trust one piece of media I personally would choose the combination of 4 disc’s over the single disc. Still I like my EMTEC’s.

So reasonable prices incase of the EMTEC golds are questionable.
On the other hand the performance of the tests so far of the emtec’s were really nice.
And it’s the only media I seen that comes with a data retrieval waranty !

[quote=dakhaas;1960106]Gold media in the US is limited to the MAM-A made stuff which isn’t that great and the verbatim silver and gold media which so far has not been able to live up it’s hype. Verbatim is however -R, MAM-A does have a +R version.[/quote] In what way(s) does the Verbatim UltraLife Gold media not live up to it’s hype? Have you seen some longevity tests of this media, and if so what were the results?

The initial burn quality.

Suprisingly any verbatim silver and gold disc that I’ve seen so far burned worse as verbatim silver media.
Accelerated Aging test data of both disc’s are in the same line and are both quite good.
However because the normal silver starts off beter the silver also performs better in the end.
So why should I then use the more expensive silver and gold version ???

In theory the silver and gold version should be better when it comes to aging if they did the whole concept right ! But so far that is not what I’m seeing.
I personally still think that the idea of silver + gold is a good one but I think some stuff might have been overlooked which causes that the silver and gold media doesn’t reach it’s potential.

On the other hand we could have been very lucky with the batches of silver and unlucky with the batches of gold. So a bit more testing might be nice.

I picked up the verbatim 8x “digital movie” dvd+r’s today from best buy. If I am reading the code right, they are MCC0038. From what I have read, MCC is one of the good producers. So, am I OK with these? Depending on your point of view, these discs are either very cool looking or rediculous.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1959731]I hear they are hit and miss because they are using multiple different manufacturers lately. You can’t be sure what you might get.[/QUOTE]

Maxell Plus should be TYG02, and the stuff under the Maxell brand tends to be better than the unbranded stuff direct from TY. If you’re lucky you can find some MXLRG03. It wouldn’t be taking much of a risk to buy Maxell Plus.

I posted a comment about maxell dvr+r, which I thought existed. I did some more checking, and I could only find plus in -r. Does anyone know if plus +r exists? Thanks

I meant to ask why are all of the “gold” archive discs (except for the emtec and not so good MAM) and all of the super quality discs, like the Maxell BQ, all DVD-R, and not +R?

IN europe we had maxell extreme protek which was profesional quality maxell +R and -R media. Haven’t seen them for quite some time.

Your are probably seeing more special -R media because the -R market in america is much larger as +R.

The Verbatims should be fine. You should be ok with these.