Blank DVD not recognized!

vbimport

I am a newbie to this website! I am hoping that someone can redirect my question to the right area and help me solve my problem. I have been using HP DVD+R blank DVD’s for a while and having no trouble burning onto them. All of a sudden my burner is not recognizing them and I can’t figure out why. When I put the blank disk in my drive goes from saying DVD -RW DRive to CD Drive. When I take the disk back out it goes back to saying DVD -RW Drive. It say’s that the disk has no space taken up(0GB used, 0GB free) My burner is recognizing my HP blank CD’s and it is also playing movie’s I have burnt using the HP DVD’s that I am having problems with. Very frustrated and at a loss. Help please. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

This is an already known estetic issue of windows, nothing to be worried about :slight_smile:

To be sure that the drive is not more able to recognize a disc, you should use a more reliable method. I suggest to use cd-dvd speed or ImgBurn. Simply run one of these the softwares and then insert a disc in the drive. In cd-speed go to the “Disco Info” tab, and in ImgBurn go to the “Device” tab. If you can see disc information, then the drive is working good :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply Geno888! I performed the test that you suggested with imgburn. My disk is not being recognized. I can’t understand why the same DVD disk with a movie on it is showing up, but not he blank one. I have always been able to burn to these disks and now all of a sudden it’s not working. Here are the results: What’s my next move? Thanks.

_NEC DVD±RW ND-6650A 103D (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,295,104
Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Hi cap,

You don’t mention what error you get when you actually try to burn or what software you use to do the burn. It is not important what Windows says about the disc. Your results with ImgBurn seem to show that it does indeed see the blank disc and tells you that there are 2,295,104 available sectors.

RM

Richman,
I am using EMC 10 to burn DVD’s. I aren’t getting any error as I haven’t got that far. There is no disk recognized when I go to burn, when it usually is full. What do you think my problem is? Thanks for your help.

When I go to burn the disk it say’s " a suitable drive was not detected please attach a drive and try again. It use to show the disk and that it was full 4.7GB. Now nothing shows.

I am having the exact same problem. So now that we know the DVD is functional, how do we put the files on them, please?

[QUOTE=Rafira;2064994]I am having the exact same problem. So now that we know the DVD is functional, how do we put the files on them, please?[/QUOTE]

You can use any burning software to do this. I personally use ImgBurn, but you can use the one you like more :slight_smile:

Sounds good to me, but does ImgBurn work with any file type? And does anyone borrowing the disc need the program to recieve the files?

Sorry for bothering you with all my newbish questions!

ImgBurn can burn any file that you have in your HDD. Latest version is also able to burn Audio CDs starting from a lot of formats like mp3, APE, FLAC, ogg, etc.

What files do you want to burn exactly?

I’m fine now, actually. I’m using nero, and it’s working fine. I asked a friend about it, and he told me about how XP was designed before DVDs came around. So yeah, I’m good. I hope the OP realises this as well :slight_smile: